And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Whoa, nice to hear Doc, I'm assuming your not going to Nicks on Commercial. Get the white clam sauce - vongoli.
Woooo pizane. I took the wifey to a nice Italian restaurant last week. It was a nice change from all that Mexican food in So Cal I drowned on

What movie?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doc's gone loopy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:I like Benning cause he is a scout at heart, has a ton of experience in that department, seems to be a real cagey talent evaluator

I think he's done great, didnt let another sideshow distraction linger (Kesler), nipped it right away. I like the relationship between Linden and Benning, it allows Benning to focus more in team building which this team sorely lacked that kind of direction. I like the coach, all the players seem to be pretty excited about this coming sesson, if the heart and desire is there unlike the last few seasons I will be pretty damn happy even if we don't make the post season. The future is looking pretty bright , might take a few seasons as we transition out if the Sedin era and usher in the next gen, but can't help but be pretty jacked about the prospects coming up, gonna be fun to watch these kids make it to the show.

I gotta feeling that Gaunce is gonna surprise folks, nothing flashy but I think the kid is gonna be a good pro and leader. I love the grit and chippyness of these kids we now have in the system
I'm gonna cut Benning some slack as well because he seems pretty clear about what kind of team he wants in the dressing room and on the ice. I'm guardedly optimistic about Willie. Still think he was arguably the best of the bunch but the proof will come in about a month's time.

I've managed my expectations of this season, but next season may have room for hope. Much as I like what Gaunce brings to the table, I think he's still at least a year off.

At least we're seeing something approaching a succession plan for the post-Sedin era, vice a hold on for another semi-hopeful/semi-deluded stab at a long playoff run in the Pacific division.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:Get the white clam sauce
Beg your pardon??
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I gotta feeling that Gaunce is gonna surprise folks, nothing flashy but I think the kid is gonna be a good pro and leader. I love the grit and chippyness of these kids we now have in the system
I've managed my expectations of this season, but next season may have room for hope. Much as I like what Gaunce brings to the table, I think he's still at least a year off.

At least we're seeing something approaching a succession plan for the post-Sedin era, vice a hold on for another semi-hopeful/semi-deluded stab at a long playoff run in the Pacific division.
One more strong draft will really shore things up, stock the cupboard. The beauty of Benning's approach is he will let the kids bake a bit in the oven before they make the jump. Benning has filled out the roster & left no openings for rookies...however, he was very clear that if a kid makes the team he'll pull the trigger & ship a vet out. Sounds fair to me. They need to *make* the team & no point rushing them. I like the idea of Gaunce & Shinkaruk developing in Utica & getting call-ups if they earn them. Benning seems to have a bit of the Buono approach, down w/ that.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

ClamRussel wrote:
Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I gotta feeling that Gaunce is gonna surprise folks, nothing flashy but I think the kid is gonna be a good pro and leader. I love the grit and chippyness of these kids we now have in the system

One more strong draft will really shore things up, stock the cupboard. The beauty of Benning's approach is he will let the kids bake a bit in the oven before they make the jump. Benning has filled out the roster & left no openings for rookies...however, he was very clear that if a kid makes the team he'll pull the trigger & ship a vet out. Sounds fair to me. They need to *make* the team & no point rushing them. I like the idea of Gaunce & Shinkaruk developing in Utica & getting call-ups if they earn them. Benning seems to have a bit of the Buono approach, down w/ that.
Yeah, pretty sure we're gonna be focusing on the draft in '15 since a playoff berth is probably a bit of a pipe-dream. Then maybe we can snag a blue-chip scoring prospect. Even if we do grab a decent prospect though, all we really have right now is unproven kids in the wings.... and tons of speculation and hopes/dreams and hype offered by many of the Nuck masses. We're a long way from seeing any legitimate Sedin-like replacements, given the second line projections - (if we're lucky). But oh yes, it is nice/enjoyable to allow wishful thinking to permeate and build before the season commences. After-all what's the alternative? Teacher's strike, russian invasion of ukraine, ebola virus, harpe'rs foreign and pot policy, over-population, tailing pond breeches, wife wanting better communication, slow fuckin drivers, gas prices, erectile dysfunction...

Yeah, might as well permit oneself to hope for the best re: canucks future, even if it becomes a little escapist in nature or not particularly grounded; the alternative (reality), doesn't seem all that sexy.
cc oldtimer
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah, I think we need to load up on as many picks as possible for the 2015 Draft. Did we not scoop a 2015 2nd or 3rd from one of our recent trades, or lose one? Can't remember. If we can add to this good young group of kids we have with the 2015 draft that would do this organization real well, depth, depth, depth. Getting two firsts in 2013 and 2014 was huge for restocking the shelves.

Even though we should be a lot better this year, our competition for those last two spots for a playoff birth got better as well, especially Minny and Dallas. The top 6 of the Western Conference are almost guaranteed to be there again. The weaker teams in our conference improved themselves this off-season as well, so it ain't gonna be easy. If we don't make it I will not be disappointed, I will only be disappointed if we again see a team not leaving it all on the ice, seemingly disinterested. The Flames were a shite team last year but they left it on the ice most nights, that is all I want from our group, guys that want to play for each other and in this city. I think we will picking somewhere between 10 and 16 in the 2015 Draft. We are going to be getting a player there in that range like that Crowse power forward winger from Ontario.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Whoa, nice to hear Doc, I'm assuming your not going to Nicks on Commercial. Get the white clam sauce - vongoli.
Woooo pizane. I took the wifey to a nice Italian restaurant last week. It was a nice change from all that Mexican food in So Cal I drowned on

What movie?
Abbotsford remember?

Paliotti's is popular here, nothing fancy but has a great atmosphere.

I had the Fettuccine Chicken: Bacon, chicken, mushrooms, onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, Brandy Cream sauce.

Wife had one of the Tortellini dishes.

All washed down with a bottle of Chardonnay (Robert Mondovi).

Every waitress wore a black dress... except one.

This "one" was wearing the tightest thinnest black leather pants I have ever seen.

They were climbing up places I'd secretly love to go.

When she was adjusting the table across from us I was reminded of Halle Berry in The Last Boy Scout.

I thought I was doing a good job of merely casting casual glances in that general direction...

But judging by wifey's grin + raised eyebrows... apparently not. :blush:

Twas my choice for the movie this time.

Chose: Guardians of the Galaxy :mrgreen: :thumbs:

3-D glasses are great, they cover up wifey's rolling eyes and dirty looks.

Although a few times whilst LOLing I did notice her looking at me with head a' shakin outta the corner of my eye.

She actually chuckled involuntarily a few times herself, which had me nodding in her face.

Anywho, what can I say, we enjoy the simple life out here in Abbotsford...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Doc's gone loopy.
Well I wouldn't go that far. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Whoa, nice to hear Doc, I'm assuming your not going to Nicks on Commercial. Get the white clam sauce - vongoli.

What movie?
Abbotsford remember?

Paliotti's is popular here, nothing fancy but has a great atmosphere.

I had the Fettuccine Chicken: Bacon, chicken, mushrooms, onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, Brandy Cream sauce.

Wife had one of the Tortellini dishes.

All washed down with a bottle of Chardonnay (Robert Mondovi).

Every waitress wore a black dress... except one.

This "one" was wearing the tightest thinnest black leather pants I have ever seen.

They were climbing up places I'd secretly love to go.

When she was adjusting the table across from us I was reminded of Halle Berry in The Last Boy Scout.

I thought I was doing a good job of merely casting casual glances in that general direction...

But judging by wifey's grin + raised eyebrows... apparently not. :blush:

Twas my choice for the movie this time.

Chose: Guardians of the Galaxy :mrgreen: :thumbs:

3-D glasses are great, they cover up wifey's rolling eyes and dirty looks.

Although a few times whilst LOLing I did notice her looking at me with head a' shakin outta the corner of my eye.

She actually chuckled involuntarily a few times herself, which had me nodding in her face.

Anywho, what can I say, we enjoy the simple life out here in Abbotsford...
Nice Doc,

Nicks is a dive now, it was dive back in the hey day but it's really divey now

That sounds like a nice meal there Doc. Yesterday I slowcooked pork back ribs in a homemade tomato sauce for six hours and then made spaghetti with the sauce. The meat just falls off the bone, fucking mouthwatering good. Easy to make, highly recommend it, you can google recipes. It's a popular way to do a tomato sauce in pizane land. Thats how we've done our tomato sauce in our wop house for the last few generations.

So, what is the word on Guardians?

I was at the Cactus Club on Lougheed recently, could not believe the quality eye candy in the waitresses, hostesses there, holy fuck
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: So, what is the word on Guardians?
Smoke a fatty and enjoy the ride! :thumbs:

Re: waitresses... Same deal with the Cactus Club in Abby.

It's almost like the owners are trying to lure dirty old men. :look:

Bastards. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Did we not scoop a 2015 2nd or 3rd from one of our recent trades, or lose one? Can't remember.
We traded our 3rd in 2015 in the Kesler trade with Anaheim.

(2015 3rd + Kesler... for.... Bonino + Sbisa + 2014 1st + 2014 3rd)

We picked up a 5th in 2015 in the Diaz trade with the Rangers.

(Diaz... for... 2015 5th)

We traded our 7th in 2015 in the Garrison trade with Tampa.

(Garrison + Costello + 2015 7th... for... 2014 2nd)
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
What really disturbs me about all of this is the partial grandfathering in. So Rick Nash gets grandfathered because he was traded before the new CBA and Glen Sather and the NYR get a pass,Malone with Columbus, and any future team he may get traded to. The whole cap recapture should be renamed the " we hate Mike Gillis or the Luongo" clause.
No doubt HW, anyways Nash = hella overpaid and no team would want him unless NYR paid a %retention.

As an aside Brian Burke gonna pay one or another eventually too with his LUongo rule.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.