Torts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want Torts as the head coach of your Vancouver Canucks for the 2014/15 season?

Yes
23%
No
63%
TBD
13%

Total votes: 30

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Torts

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:Sure, but then his job wasn't on the line. He might also want to continue 'trying' to tone down his image and approach so that he can keep working in the NHL.
Well, my impression of Torts, is that he is a man of principles and self belief that won't sell out and change the way he is to just in a vain attempt to try to "save his job."

There's a saying, "a dog doesn't change its bark" or some sort of variation of that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I just don't think there is any real urgency to decide Torts fate, if it hasn't already been decided. Coaching decisions are usually GM decisions but given what Trevor has said I suspect he will be active in that decision. He wants a GM, two AGM and himself working as a team. It may all be a timing thing. Maybe Torts had a good year end interview and maybe he has more internal support than we know. Maybe Trevor just wants his team in place and then make an informed decision. Maybe his replacement coaches are all still in the playoffs. Maybe it's just a timing thin.

I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
Ummm.....that's an off the wall thought, no?

Julien, Therrien, Roy, Boudreau, Sutter, Berube, Quenneville, Ruff, Babcock, Vigneault, and Richards, are all coaches in the playoffs who will still have their jobs regardless of the outcome of their current series.

Bylsma, Hitchcock, McLellan, and Yeo, are probably all going to have questions asked of them, and are candidates to be replaced.

Bylsma almost certainly gets the axe if the Penguins lose in the first round, and I think anything short of a hard fought 7 game Conference final is going to go badly for him. Shero has spent too much at the deadline, and the expectations are way too high for the Penguins right now. Combine that with their last 4 post-seasons (5 if they blow it this year) and you have a recipe for a new bench boss.

Hitchcock has done good things in St. Louis, but if they blow a 2 game series lead against Chicago I think he's done. The Blues have been too good to falter 3 times in a row before the conference finals. Not saying Hitch is for sure canned, but it'll be discussed.

McLellan needs to get to the finals. There have been way too many failures in San Jose after solid regular seasons. This has to be his last kick at the can.

Mike Yeo hasn't done much in Minnesota. Even their regular season record is pretty meh.....

I don't want any of those 4 names in Vancouver.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol more like Tom Arnold SKYO. Do we really want to hear what Eye Bags has to say ? He'll get up there in front of the media , start sweating like a pig and going bright red. He and his goiter patch can beat it.
haha true dat, and just like that *poof* he was gone. *cue The Usual Suspects theme song*
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I just don't think there is any real urgency to decide Torts fate, if it hasn't already been decided. Coaching decisions are usually GM decisions but given what Trevor has said I suspect he will be active in that decision. He wants a GM, two AGM and himself working as a team. It may all be a timing thing. Maybe Torts had a good year end interview and maybe he has more internal support than we know. Maybe Trevor just wants his team in place and then make an informed decision. Maybe his replacement coaches are all still in the playoffs. Maybe it's just a timing thin.

Julien, Therrien, Roy, Boudreau, Sutter, Berube, Quenneville, Ruff, Babcock, Vigneault, and Richards, are all coaches in the playoffs who will still have their jobs regardless of the outcome of their current series.

Bylsma, Hitchcock, McLellan, and Yeo, are probably all going to have questions asked of them, and are candidates to be replaced.

Bylsma almost certainly gets the axe if the Penguins lose in the first round, and I think anything short of a hard fought 7 game Conference final is going to go badly for him. Shero has spent too much at the deadline, and the expectations are way too high for the Penguins right now. Combine that with their last 4 post-seasons (5 if they blow it this year) and you have a recipe for a new bench boss.

Hitchcock has done good things in St. Louis, but if they blow a 2 game series lead against Chicago I think he's done. The Blues have been too good to falter 3 times in a row before the conference finals. Not saying Hitch is for sure canned, but it'll be discussed.

McLellan needs to get to the finals. There have been way too many failures in San Jose after solid regular seasons. This has to be his last kick at the can.

Mike Yeo hasn't done much in Minnesota. Even their regular season record is pretty meh.....

You forgot about assistant coaches, John Stevens as an example - Canucks can't talk to him until LA's season is done.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

vic wrote:You forgot about assistant coaches, John Stevens as an example - Canucks can't talk to him until LA's season is done.
Technically, they could ... if they were given permission by the Kings. But out of respect to the Kings, they would likely wait until after their season is over since his role with the team is more hands on a day to day basis, than say an Asst. General Manager, who's work with the on-ice product is largely done for the season, say for suggestions when it comes to potential call-ups from the minor league.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Betamax wrote:
Technically, they could ...
If my Aunt had balls, she could technically be my uncle...

You know what I meant ;)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

vic wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Technically, they could ...
If my Aunt had balls, she could technically be my uncle...

You know what I meant ;)
Things are different in other "pro" sports ... or "amateur" sports, i.e. NCAA. Look at how Coaches leave their teams for another school at the end of their regular season, before they play their bowl games or championship games.

One (in)famous example, Head Coach Brian Kelly leaving the Cincinnati Bearcats Football to go to Notre Dame in 2009 at the end of their regular season, when that team was going to play for the BCS National Championship.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Mëds wrote:

You forgot about assistant coaches, John Stevens as an example - Canucks can't talk to him until LA's season is done.
Yep. I forgot about assistant coaches.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:

No no no. I meant the assistants who will be ready for a head coaching job!
The only HW the Canucks need
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Canucks are a team that needs to re-build through free agency, drafting and most importantly, by developing the young players. Tortorella is not the guy to do this . So Free Torts, and allow him to not have to continue to deal with border traffic.
more cap space!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

kelowna kanuck wrote:Canucks are a team that needs to re-build through free agency,drafting and most importantly, by developing the young players.
Fixed.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
kelowna kanuck wrote:Canucks are a team that needs to re-build through free agency,drafting and most importantly, by developing the young players.
Fixed.
It's gonna take key free agency signings, drafting, development by good coaches and most importantly a GM who can make solid hockey trades for once.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Farhan saying Torts gone tomorrow?...twitter
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

rats19 wrote:Farhan saying Torts gone tomorrow?...twitter
Was bound to happen... and I'm glad it is. There are some good quality candidates out there, especially if LA can complete the comeback and hold onto their third period lead.

Have to think that Benning is already giving his input.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

EDLER how do you feel about Torts being fired?