Nicklas Jensen

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Nicklas Jensen

Post by Diehard1 »

So what are thoughts on Jensen so far this season? Very small body of work I know, but colour me impressed. He looks big, fast and loves to shoot which is exactly what the twins need as a line mate. I really liked last night's game where he took a shove from a Cap and immediately cross checked the guy back, shows he won't take any crap.

It's also obvious Torts loves him, what young player has played 20 minutes under Torts like Jensen did last night? Not Kass, not Schroeder - the only one is Tanev and he's 23 with parts of a couple of seasons under his belt.

We will see how he does, if he, Tanev, Schroeder, and potentially Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk all play on the team next year will people finally stop bitching about Gillis' draft picks? Yes yes, I know Tanev doesn't count because he wasn't drafted, players have to be drafted to count. :D

Horvat for one will be on the team, I've watched him a ton this year and he's ready. Looks like Jensen might be almost there too.
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Nicklas Jensen

Post by Lancer »

I don't know if Torts gave Jensen the ice time because he loves the kid or if he had to put somebody with a modicum of skill with Hank - and perhaps management told him to do so.

Still, watching the Washington game it looks like he's growing a bit per game and he does have a good release which he is willing to use. Hopefully he plays the stretch and grows some more for next season. I suspect the early season slump was more a factor of his shoulder injury than anything else. Still would like to see a couple more pounds of muscle and a little more snarl to his game but there's enough there to give a fan hope.

Next year's camp will be more interesting than the last one, if only for the matter of seeing the youngsters like Jensen push for a genuine spot.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I like Jensen a lot in these games. It looks like he's got an all around game, and even though it's due to injury to other players it's good he's playing with Hank. No doubt the Canucks will see him as a likely starter with the big team next year. He's got the look of exactly what we need, a power forward with size and skill. It's hope, keep bringing up/in the kids.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Diehard1 wrote:So what are thoughts on Jensen so far this season? Very small body of work I know, but colour me impressed. He looks big, fast and loves to shoot which is exactly what the twins need as a line mate. I really liked last night's game where he took a shove from a Cap and immediately cross checked the guy back, shows he won't take any crap.

It's also obvious Torts loves him, what young player has played 20 minutes under Torts like Jensen did last night? Not Kass, not Schroeder - the only one is Tanev and he's 23 with parts of a couple of seasons under his belt.

We will see how he does, if he, Tanev, Schroeder, and potentially Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk all play on the team next year will people finally stop bitching about Gillis' draft picks? Yes yes, I know Tanev doesn't count because he wasn't drafted, players have to be drafted to count. :D

Horvat for one will be on the team, I've watched him a ton this year and he's ready. Looks like Jensen might be almost there too.
Don't forget Cassels (for grit) and Subban (for minority report :D )
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Would like to see him marinate another year in Utica with some better players. Hopefully next year's Utica team will have a little more skill. But it looks like he will be a serviceable 2nd/3rd liner. He is without a doubt much better than last year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Arachnid wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:So what are thoughts on Jensen so far this season? Very small body of work I know, but colour me impressed. He looks big, fast and loves to shoot which is exactly what the twins need as a line mate. I really liked last night's game where he took a shove from a Cap and immediately cross checked the guy back, shows he won't take any crap.

Don't forget Cassels (for grit) and Subban (for minority report :D )
And of course another high pick this draft, along with an actual 2nd rounder for once! After giving them away for the greater part of 8 or 10 seasons will be nice to have one this year.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Anyone else notice our offensive production against the Caps?

Schroeder on a beauty setup from Kassian on a play that the Sedins and Co would never have even tried.

Mattias from Higgins and Tanev.

Jensen from Higgins and Tanev.

Higgins the only vet to record a point, and he got 2 assists on a pair of really heads up passes to open shooters in scoring positions. Those shooters were young kids who haven't been Sedinerized into going to the boards to receive a safe pass around the wall. And both of them got off quick, accurate, wrist shots that found a corner....none of this shoot for a rebound bullshit.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Howie Meeker wrote: Those shooters were young kids who haven't been Sedinerized into going to the boards to receive a safe pass around the wall. And both of them got off quick, accurate, wrist shots that found a corner....none of this shoot for a rebound bullshit.
Did I log into Canucks.com by mistake?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I know.

Absolutely brilliant observation from Topper.
Teams have figured out that physical close checking stymies the cycle, I'm sure the twins and the powers to be can see that the points and the high slot open up in these scenarios.
Again
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:Anyone else notice our offensive production against the Caps?

Schroeder on a beauty setup from Kassian on a play that the Sedins and Co would never have even tried.

Mattias from Higgins and Tanev.

Jensen from Higgins and Tanev.

Higgins the only vet to record a point, and he got 2 assists on a pair of really heads up passes to open shooters in scoring positions. Those shooters were young kids who haven't been Sedinerized into going to the boards to receive a safe pass around the wall. And both of them got off quick, accurate, wrist shots that found a corner....none of this shoot for a rebound bullshit.
Oh you mean Matthias and Jensen actually have some skill compared to ALL the 3rd line plugs MG has gotten this team?

Finally a rookie shining on this team! salute to Jensen, now lets get him a real number!
However that will probably have to wait till next season when he can get #7 or maybe #17. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:Finally a rookie shining on this team! salute to Jensen, now lets get him a real number!
However that will probably have to wait till next season when he can get #7 or maybe #17. :o
I think Jensen wears #17 with Utica, hopefully it will become available in the offseason. :P

Boy, the dank-hank-burr line just looked pretty shitty most of the season, but burr-hank-jensen is actually looking like a legitimate scoring line the past couple games. Young guys tend to have a few good games when they are called up, but tend to fade after a bit as the reality of the NHL sets in. Hopefully jensen can soak up this experience and use it as a spring board to earn a full-time roster spot with us next season. I noticed that jensen is a very good back checker and he stays on his man quite aggresively like a dog on a bone. Coaches generally like young players who are solid defensively and will give them more opportunites over a young skilled player who is a liability and/or lazy. Torts must be quite impressed with this young guy, as most of his star players have been a disappointment this season.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, the dank-hank-burr line just looked pretty shitty most of the season, but burr-hank-jensen is actually looking like a legitimate scoring line the past couple games.
The biggest difference I see between them is that Jensen does what Daniel hasn't done in years - get to the slot and shoot. Once was a time when Dank had confidence in his shot and had the ability to find a sweet spot in the slot or above the crease and zip them in - along the ice, chip-in or top-shelf. Not anymore. Hopefully Jensen keeps it up because he's finding open ice and Hank/Burr are finding him.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I noticed that jensen is a very good back checker and he stays on his man quite aggresively like a dog on a bone. Coaches generally like young players who are solid defensively and will give them more opportunites over a young skilled player who is a liability and/or lazy. Torts must be quite impressed with this young guy, as most of his star players have been a disappointment this season.
I also noted that this kid's effort level is high and evident. No doubt he's trying to put his best foot forward on this call-up but he's doing good things out there without the puck and he's hustling to make defensive plays as well as offensive plays. Even if he doesn't score, it's stuff like that which will keep him with the big club the rest of the way.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Lancer wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, the dank-hank-burr line just looked pretty shitty most of the season, but burr-hank-jensen is actually looking like a legitimate scoring line the past couple games.
The biggest difference I see between them is that Jensen does what Daniel hasn't done in years - get to the slot and shoot. Once was a time when Dank had confidence in his shot and had the ability to find a sweet spot in the slot or above the crease and zip them in - along the ice, chip-in or top-shelf. Not anymore. Hopefully Jensen keeps it up because he's finding open ice and Hank/Burr are finding him.
The biggest difference is Jensen is actually strong enough to fight through checks. Let's call a spade a spade. The Sedins are fucking lightweights and that is one of the major reasons for their "downward slope". It's not about skill, it's not about talent, it's not about endurance, it's about strength or lack thereof. Which was the exact reason why MayRay was let go.

If the Sedins are serious about their career, this coming summer will be spent on strength and conditioning. Too many times either Dank or Hank get pinned along the boards and the play dies right then and there. The way to take the Sedins out of the play is by hitting them. It was true in 10/11 and it's still true today.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mathonwy wrote:
Lancer wrote:The biggest difference I see between them is that Jensen does what Daniel hasn't done in years - get to the slot and shoot.
The biggest difference is Jensen is actually strong enough to fight through checks.
The biggest difference is Jensen is healthy.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see Jensen score on a forhand deke in the shootout. I know he's pretty good @ the forsberg move as I have seen a few highlights of him doing it. If he can have 3-4 strong breakaway moves in the shootouts, he's going to be a shootout ace for us (unlike some of our one trick ponies, ie - Burr (backhand roof), MayRay (spina-rama). I look forward to when Jensen scores on the Forsberg move, the fans will go nuts. :lol: