Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by SKYO »

Just for shits&gigs...

The edmontonjournal has done a lot of work on this already for the oilers back when.

A few gm's that stand out..

- Jason Botterill (Assistant General Manager, Pittsburgh Penguins)
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... xecutives/
pros
What has this candidate done that makes him warrant consideration?
Lots. First off, he’s the right –hand man at one of the league’s most successful franchises, which carries cachet by itself. He’s the general manager of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL, and that team has gone 130-71-13 since he took the assistant G.M. job. He’s also in charge of knowing the entire league – where teams are coming from, their respective salary cap situations, their internal pressures and weaknesses (Mike Colligan of The Hockey Writers put a great article on this up just under a year ago). He’s also in charge of ensuring the Penguins are compliant with the NHL CBA.
- Paul Fenton (Assistant General Manager, Nashville Predators)
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... which-one/
pros
Among prospective general managing candidates, few have a higher profile than Paul Fenton, the Nashville Predators’ everyman. The one-time NHL’er has slowly climbed the ranks behind the scenes and has been a key member of the Predators management team since the team joined the NHL. Now, after years as the club’s number two, he’s ready to take on the top job somewhere.

The Predators have devolved a lot on to Fenton’s shoulders. He manages the professional and amateur scouting staff, and is responsible for Nashville’s selections at each summer’s NHL Entry Draft.
Not only that, but Fenton is also responsible for the development of drafted players; in that role he also serves as general manager of the Milwaukee Admirals, Nashville’s AHL affiliate.

While Nashville’s development record in all departments is one of the best in the league, they’ve really built a reputation for churning out NHL-calibre defensemen. Meanwhile, the team hasn’t sacrificed winning while producing these prospects; Nashville’s AHL team is one of the most consistently successful at a minor-league level. Combine Fenton’s work in Milwaukee with the Predators’ successes drafting and developing, and of course the team’s own ability to stay competitive with limited financial resources, and there’s good reason to think that Fenton would do well with his own franchise.

- Joe Will (Assistant General Manager, San Jose Sharks)
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... -heard-of/
pros
I highly recommend reading the “On Thick Ice” article linked above. The San Jose Sharks have consistently been one of the best teams in the National Hockey League. Only once since the NHL lockout have they failed to advance to at least the second round of the playoffs. Their goal differential is a combine plus-275 since the lockout – and that’s not an accident, as the linked article highlights goal differential as one of their primary goals. Will has been involved in all of it, and given that the Sharks have been one of the most cost-effective teams in the league (with the Oilers one of the least) since the NHL lockout it seems fair to say that his approach is working well.
Paul Fenton gets my vote he's been an assistant GM for awhile now, plus all the other duties behind the scenes to rise up to the ranks as an assistant GM.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mark Messier wants a GM job.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Linden
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I nominated RD if we can get a time travelling machine to be his assistant GM.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

No shame in admitting defeat dbr, it's you and couple other jabronees against the world right now, the weight must be getting to you. The grass is very green on our side, take that leap of faith my good man. Ya mon!

Don't be like Bieska and go down with the Good Ship Gillis and LaForgerella. Here's a life preserver. Join us
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Mark Messier wants a GM job.
We already have a cancer in gillis. jk!
herb wrote:Linden
He should have started out as a scout, then director of player personal, then assistant gm.

Or should be get Norm Maciver from the GM making machine in Chicago. haha
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47159
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:No shame in admitting defeat dbr, it's you and couple other jabronees against the world right now, the weight must be getting to you. The grass is very green on our side, take that leap of faith my good man. Ya mon!

Don't be like Bieska and go down with the Good Ship Gillis and LaForgerella. Here's a life preserver. Join us
:lol:

Hey, no defeat here, you and your time machine would out GM anyone. With future-RD in your ear you'd never make a single mistake! Your track record wouldn't have to be littered with hilarious flip flops like the ones Doc insists on dragging up every time you look like you might deserve an ounce of credibility..
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

No freakin way.

We need a veteran GM that has pre-existing relationships with the majority of the other GM's.

Somebody that already has a lot of deals under their belt.

And Linden is not that person.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mathonwy wrote:
No freakin way.

We need a veteran GM that has pre-existing relationships with the majority of the other GM's.

Somebody that already has a lot of deals under their belt.

And Linden is not that person.
If you're looking for a GM who has vast experience but isn't over the hill, Darcy Regier is looking for work..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy_Regier
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:No shame in admitting defeat dbr, it's you and couple other jabronees against the world right now, the weight must be getting to you. The grass is very green on our side, take that leap of faith my good man. Ya mon!

:lol:

Hey, no defeat here, you and your time machine would out GM anyone. With future-RD in your ear you'd never make a single mistake! Your track record wouldn't have to be littered with hilarious flip flops like the ones Doc insists on dragging up every time you look like you might deserve an ounce of credibility..
Awwwwwe the ole flip flop straw grasp, ya slayed me, you're a very loyal soldier to Doc and his flip flopping on goalies as soon as they are no longer a Canuck. The bottom line is, I'm a mere fan, shame on you for holding a mere fan to an old opinion but I'm not the one paid millions to make the right decision, maybe you should focus your focus on a fans old opinion and steer that anger on a GM who has completely shat the bed.

Archive away, but it never will disguise the fact that the GM that you and Doc are tea bagging and salad tossing has been a complete failure since 2011 not to mention his contracts he doles out recklessly, horrid drafting and trading and hiring an idiot coach and letting certain payers walk in favour of others who are complete failures and a drain on the team budget

Carry on
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote: If you're looking for a GM who has vast experience but isn't over the hill, Darcy Regier is looking for work..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy_Regier
Actually, Darcy wouldn't be too bad.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/tra ... _Regier/68
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1271 ... lindy-ruff

He knows the east really well and has an enormous amount of experience. His trading record is ok, it's not the greatest but it's been pretty solid. However, he's got a pretty big screw up under his belt (IE the Briere/Drury situation). But according to the bleacherreport, the Sabres are a very financially conscious team so Regier's been operating under a tight budget for quite some time.

Mike Gillis has shown that he is able to sign players for cheap and is highly capable of finding bargains such as Santo and Stanton. So, instead of firing bugeyes, why not just make him the president and hire a guy like Regier as the GM.

From a trading perspective, Gillis just doesn't seem like he commands a lot of respect from the other GMs (just my opinion). Getting a guy like Regier could be exactly what we need.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Linden has never sounded like he even wants to get back into the biz of hockey... at least not right now. He wouldn't be on my call-back list even if he applied.

Any one of the guys listed at top wouldn't be a bad idea. Botterill would be at the top of my list because of his experience and connections. I wouldn't give Regier the time of day just by looking at the mess he left in Buffalo.

Last I heard, though, was that we have a living, breathing GM in charge of the Canucks.... :eh:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Oof, sorry Dude, didn't mean to get you worked up into a lather like that.

(Those run-on sentences are your tell, by the way.)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Should something happen I think the obvious choice would be to promote Gilman.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Markus Näslund is available, he just resigned as GM for Modo after they missed the playoffs.

Oh, resigned as in quit. Not re-signed as in signed a new contract.
You really need to do something about the amiguity of the English language.

Flammable, inflammable. Same thing. :roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.