Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by herb »

I am perhaps hopelessly optimistic, but I am optimistic.

Benning seems to have a wealth of experience doing good work for Buffalo and then of course Boston, where he helped build one of the better teams in the league.

Despite GM's opinion to the contrary, we do have some young pieces to build on. Trade Kesler and another guy or two for youth and we can really start talking about the cupboards. Good young players are making big impacts on NHL clubs a lot sooner than they used to, so there is some hope for this team being decent again in the next three or four years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Regarding Gilman, I suspect he will stick around unless he finds a GM gig somewhere or he is fired. I can't see him being fired, so my guess is he sticks around. I'm sure he has interviewed for at least a handful of GM jobs and not gotten one yet.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

herb wrote:Regarding Gilman, I suspect he will stick around unless he finds a GM gig somewhere or he is fired. I can't see him being fired, so my guess is he sticks around. I'm sure he has interviewed for at least a handful of GM jobs and not gotten one yet.
I agree. I don't think Benning is a cap expert, so I could see Gilman staying and Henning going.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:Regarding Gilman, I suspect he will stick around unless he finds a GM gig somewhere or he is fired. I can't see him being fired, so my guess is he sticks around. I'm sure he has interviewed for at least a handful of GM jobs and not gotten one yet.
The Canucks need to be doing a whole lot better before Gilman can get a job somewhere else. Rightly or wrongly, the current perception would probably be that Gilman was part of the management team that drove the Nucks into the gutter. If Benning can rebuild us harder, better, faster and stronger, then Gilman should be able to get a job after that is accomplished.

So... a couple years maybe?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I wonder how miffed GIlman is for being passed over.
I mean on one hand, the guy has carved himself a nice reputation as a good money man, and I like that article in the province about him being around the NHl long enough to know what kind of players it takes to be successful. So I can see the case being made for GIlman to succeed to the throne...but..

My personal reservation about the guy was that he was tainted with the stink of the clown show that devolved out of the Gillis happy hour at the goaltender's graveyard.

It pretty much became apparent that season ticket holders were going to vote with their feet and a Complete break from the previous regime was the only thing that was going to appease them.

unfortunately, poor old GIlman had the wrong first three letters on his last name. Combine that with the appearance of not being a true hockey man ( former player coming up through the ranks himself) and it's a case of right guy wrong time and place...

On the other hand though, it should also be taken as a compliment that his value as an executive is such that he survived the purge...I'm betting that Siberian graves are full of dudes that wish they could say that..
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

:D
And also loved by top NHLers ...

https://vine.co/v/MXiemVnhv9g

:D
For everyone's viewing pleasure, Betamax proudly presents THE KISS seen around the NHL in resolutions of up to 720p(HD)!!!

How good is that? :D
The dream might still be alive ... alive ... albeit in another NHL city!!!

Pierre McGuire as next Pittsburgh Penguins GM? Can this be a thing?
By Greg Wyshynski | Puck Daddy – Wed, 21 May, 2014 11:37 AM EDT

via: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 49512.html

The article quotes TSN's Hockey Insider, Darren Dreger:
“One thing that has changed over the past couple of years or so is the fact that the interest in Pierre is maybe less public now than what it used to be,” Dreger said. “As soon as he was contacted or his name would surface, we’d be talking about it. Just because his name hasn’t surfaced in the last year-or-so doesn’t mean that there aren’t teams interested in Pierre McGuire, and I’d be real surprised if there wasn’t some connection here in Pittsburgh.”
Dreger said that McGuire’s knowledge could make him a big asset.
“I have great respect for Pierre’s hockey knowledge,” Dreger said. “He’s got the credentials as a coach, and nobody- and I say this with great respect for Pierre- works harder than he does at staying in-tune with what every team is doing from a roster perspective. You can ask this guy about just about any player in the system of any organization. He’ll know who that player is, and he’ll have an opinion on strengths and weaknesses.”
Some great questions were posed by Mr. Wyshynski ...
But seriously … wouldn’t you want to see a know-it-all put to the test? To see if all of these insights and trivia amount to being a successful front office man?

Heck, we’re for it if only for the press conferences. What’s the opposite of a John Tortorella answer? Pierre McGuire. That’s what.
The answer is obvious:

What say you? 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:Woo hoo.
Betamax wrote: PIERRE

Pierre

Pierre

PIERRE!!
The Brown Knight wrote: LUKE SCHENN
the toucan kid wrote: Ditto
Dr.Dork wrote: Hard not to agree.
rockalt wrote: Agree with EVERYTHING
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote: Now, the question that remains is whether he replaces Laurence Gilman and/or Lorne Henning. From the wiki bio, he seems to me like more of a replacement for Henning.

What say you? 8-)
YUP, adios Henning.

Gilman is the perfect assistant GM and he says he loves it here, personally I hope he stays for years like McNab in Anaheim. Gilman is our capologist, and he's become a real good scout plus his revamping of our scouting department is impressive, with the promise of our last few drafts have shown.
Gilman - "The six years I’ve been here are not only the best years of my hockey life, but the best years of my life. My wife is happy here, my children are happy here. We consider this home now.”

The Canucks should keep it that way.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/John ... z32TXTWDMh
:thumbs:
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I was hoping for Benning but if Gilman had got the job it wouldn't have broken my heart. The mountain that Gilman has to climb is the perception that he is Mike Gillis. Unfortunately for Canuck fans is that others may not see it that way and the team will lose a very competent asset. Benning too has paid his dues and if the two men can work in mutual respect this team has a bright future. Now hire Barry Trotz and let's get this team rebuild started.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Canuck-One wrote:I was hoping for Benning but if Gilman had got the job it wouldn't have broken my heart. The mountain that Gilman has to climb is the perception that he is Mike Gillis. Unfortunately for Canuck fans is that others may not see it that way and the team will lose a very competent asset. Benning too has paid his dues and if the two men can work in mutual respect this team has a bright future. Now hire Barry Trotz and let's get this team rebuild started.
Watching the Benning conference... Love his scouting past, and that he is a true hockey man, knows how an organization is run top-to bottom. He's not going to try and re-invent the wheel with any new-age bullshit, and I think that's refreshing. Draft, develop, compete. Speed, skill, goals, youth. Love it. Also love that he's willing to ask players to waive NTC's, it's about the franchise, not about the individual.

I also noticed that he seemed uncomfortable at first talking about the business side of hockey, meetings with Linden etc. etc., but when the focus switched hockey, the sport, he was very comfortable talking about how we need to play and what kind of teams win these days (specifically mentioning we're in the toughest division in hockey).
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

If the Canucks make the mistake of not going for a major rebuild, who do they go after in free agency?

Or should I just start a new thread with a poll option? :eh:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ You should probably start a poll and then answer yourself in the thread.

Benning seems like a nice guy. He's not a very good talker, and was obviously quite uncomfortable to start in front of the camera. Boy was he sweating bullets. I wanted to hand the man a damn towel.

He got more comfortable as the press conference went on. He wants to be more uptempo, and intends to make the playoffs every year (i.e. no tear it apart rebuild).

Vancouver reporters sure are retarded. They ask such brilliant questions as how many guys Linden interviewed, if Benning is going to trade Kesler (what the hell is the man going to say on day 1?) and who Benning intends to fire.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:and intends to make the playoffs every year (i.e. no tear it apart rebuild).
Facepalm
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:and intends to make the playoffs every year (i.e. no tear it apart rebuild).
Called it. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Called it. :mrgreen:
Just placating the herd, Doc. You're from Abby, you know what that's all about.

He's not just gonna come out say we intend to miss the playoffs this year.

Besides, we WILL make the playoffs every year.... after this one. :mex: