Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Jovocop »

The new GM?
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Jim Benning has agreed to a multi-year deal as Canucks gm and will be officially introduced in Vancouver on Friday.
Now, another source claiming that it is a done deal.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/i ... er-canucks

Boston Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning will be named general manager of the Vancouver Canucks, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside.

TSN had earlier reported that Benning was expected to be hired by Vancouver.

Benning had previously interviewed for the midseason GM vacancy with the Buffalo Sabres and talked to the Canucks with the permission of Bruins president Cam Neely.

[+] EnlargeJim Benning

Richard Cashin/Icon SMI
Jim Benning, who has spent his last eight seasons with the Bruins, is expected to be named the new general manager of the Canucks, according to a source.

"That's what happens when you have success," Neely said Tuesday. "Teams look at other organizations that have success and start inquiring about your management group. It's something that a lot of good organizations have had to deal with over time and we are dealing with that right now."

A former NHL defenseman, the 51-year-old Benning had been with the Bruins for the past eight seasons, seven as assistant GM.

The Canucks fired GM Mike Gillis in April after a disappointing season in which they failed to make the Stanley Cup playoffs.

One of Benning's first jobs will be to find a new coach. John Tortorella was fired after just one season with the club.

Benning joins a revamped Vancouver front office that includes newly appointed team president Trevor Linden.

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who was in Boston on Tuesday for a year-end news conference, said he understands the outside interest in his team's management group.

"It speaks to what's now become sort of the Boston model," he said. "People do want to copy what you're doing because of the success we have seen."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who was in Boston on Tuesday for a year-end news conference, said he understands the outside interest in his team's management group.

"It speaks to what's now become sort of the Boston model," he said. "People do want to copy what you're doing because of the success we have seen."
Gloat much, Jeremy?

Now if we can just get Linden appointed NHL board of Governors Chairman and make Burrows' dad head of league discipline...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:If Benning (or anyone else outside the organization) is hired as GM, how long does Gilman hang around?

Not many execs stay for very long once they have been passed over for a promotion. If Lawrence misses out for the GM post in Vancouver, it won't be long before he moves elsewhere if a GM job is what he wants.

I'm not saying Gilman should get the job because the alternative is to loose him from the organization, I am just mentioning some realities of the situation. No doubt the Aqualungs, Linden and Gilman are aware of it.
I suspect he will hang around until he gets a promotion to a GM position for another NHL team, or Michael D. Gillis is hired and he joins him in their front office.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It's always hard to judge a new manager coming in, but by all accounts Benning is more than qualified and a good choice.

Jim has a lot of work to do to get this team back to where it was a couple of years ago, but if he can build off of the decent last couple of drafts Gillis had here then he'll be off to a good start.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

herb wrote:It's always hard to judge a new manager coming in, but by all accounts Benning is more than qualified and a good choice.

Jim has a lot of work to do to get this team back to where it was a couple of years ago, but if he can build off of the decent last couple of drafts Gillis had here then he'll be off to a good start.
How do we really know Michael D. Gillis' past couple of drafts have been "decent." How many of those selected players have had actual impact at the NHL level?

I mean it was just a few years ago that "Ricky" Schroder was praised as a high value 1st rd pick and statement that Canucks' drafting was on the upswing. Now a few years later there are questions in my mind on whether the Canucks' will even offer him a qualifying offer.

What say you? 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Betamax wrote:How do we really know Michael D. Gillis' past couple of drafts have been "decent." How many of those selected players have had actual impact at the NHL level?
In my opinion they have been decent. Obviously we cannot draw any overarching conclusions since these drafts were too recent.

But...

Jensen, Grenier and Corrado are already successful AHL players. Jensen and Corrado look like they have a good chance at having NHL careers. Grenier has a hell of a shot, but lots to work on (obvs). This draft is already looking a lot better than the 2007 and 2010 drafts, which were absolute tire fires.

Gaunce is one of our better prospects in ages. Hutton looks like a great find.

Horvat, Shinkaruk and Cassels were all good picks. We'll see where they land.

I'm not saying it's a bounty or anything, I said decent. This group is certainly much better than the group of youngsters Gillis inherited.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Someone make a new GM thread.

Post by SKYO »

Yup Gilman has did a helluva job shuffling our scouting department, the past couple of drafts the picks look way more promising than ever before.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Certainly the last one. 2012 was ok, Mallet looks like a bomb for such a high pick but Hutton in a later round makes up for that.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Topper wrote:If Benning (or anyone else outside the organization) is hired as GM, how long does Gilman hang around?

Not many execs stay for very long once they have been passed over for a promotion. If Lawrence misses out for the GM post in Vancouver, it won't be long before he moves elsewhere if a GM job is what he wants.

I'm not saying Gilman should get the job because the alternative is to loose him from the organization, I am just mentioning some realities of the situation. No doubt the Aqualungs, Linden and Gilman are aware of it.
I suspect he will hang around until he gets a promotion to a GM position for another NHL team, or Michael D. Gillis is hired and he joins him in their front office.
via: https://twitter.com/JasonPHT/status/469284391563169792
Jason Brough ‏@JasonPHT

Per @TSNBobMcKenzie, Benning will bring John Weisbrod to Vancouver as an assistant GM. So don't expect Doc Rivers to join the coaching staff

6:11 PM - 21 May 2014
Info on John Weisbrod:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Weisbrod

Now, the question that remains is whether he replaces Laurence Gilman and/or Lorne Henning. From the wiki bio, he seems to me like more of a replacement for Henning.

What say you? 8-)
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Betamax wrote: How do we really know Michael D. Gillis' past couple of drafts have been "decent." How many of those selected players have had actual impact at the NHL level?

What say you? 8-)

We don't ,but they LOOK decent at this time . Not MANY players have made an impact at the NHL level from the last two drafts unless they happened to be drafted by one of the poorer teams with high picks.

What say YOU VHS wannabe ?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Gilman is the money/cap/contract guy. I think stays to keep that role, unless he chooses to leave. Glad this is done. Early too.

Next...,
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

It's good to see Benning starting right away. This is probably a combo of Chiarelli's experience moving from Boston and Linden's good relationship with people like Neely.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to this new regime. It's good to have an outsider come in, one has really paid his dues in hockey scouting/mgmt over the years. I thought Gillis did an okay job, but clearly his lack of experience in actually managing a team, scouting etc., hurt. Benning brings new blood, a fresh set of eyes, and likely some housecleaning. I can handle a team stalling for a few years if I can see things being directed well. This is better than Edmonton say, where a set of "new eyes" seems to always involve someone from their inner circle.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Woo hoo.

I'm excited about Linden's first big fire (Torts) and first big hire (Benning). I have always been of the opinion that the answer to the Canuck's problems never lay within and I'm glad Linden sees it that way as well (no offense to Gilman). :mrgreen: