Matthias

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Matthias

Post by Vader »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Personally I don't think someone can ever go down too early. But perhaps that's just me.
:lol:

See Mathonwy, now that's funny.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Vader wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Personally I don't think someone can ever go down too early. But perhaps that's just me.
:lol:

See Mathonwy, now that's funny.
I agree. :lol:
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Per wrote: What I know and think of Markström, well most has already been said. A highly touted prospect, who's still a diamond in the rough. Definitely has the potential to be a bona fide NHL starter, but he's not proven himself ready to shoulder that task just yet.

Since he's from Gävle, which is where I live, the local paper writes quite a bit about him. He became the starting goalie of Brynäs in the SHL in 2008/09 already at the tender age of 18, which is highly unusual. The SHL is not a junior league. He was actually meant to be the backup, but proved himself better than the starter and ended up getting 35 of the 55 regular season games that year. Was nominated for rookie of the year that season, but ended up getting the award the next season instead. How's that possible, you say? Well, the SHL has decided that all players up to the age of twenty are eligible for the rookie award, regardless of how long they've been in the league. He also won the Honken award that year, which is the Swedish Vezina. And then he left for the AHL. A tad too early in my humble opinion. I think he could have developed just as well at home, especially since he was playing for Brynäs, who have Sden's probably best goalie coach. As mentioned before, a long list of his alumni have made it to the NHL; apart from Markström, Läck and Jacim Eriksson, there's Lindbäck, Holmqvist and Greiss.

Markström has also excelled at the international level. He was named best goalie of the 08/09 WJC, where he earned a silver medal, and then played again in 09/10, but only got a. Bronze that time. He was on the gold winning team at the 2013 world championship. Sure, he was backup, behind Enroth, but no mere passenger. He got three starts and 190 minutes of ice time while boasting a 1.58 GAA and a .934 saves percentage. Meanwhile, Johan Gustafsson was riding the pine throughout the tournament. Not a single start. Only entered the ice to pick up his medal. Oh, and Markström also has a world championship bronze as well, from 09/10, and won gold at the 07/08 U18 world cup (aka Ivan Hlinka memorial). The kid may only be 24 years old, but he already has a whole batch of medals from international tournaments, including two golds.

Throughout their career, right up until now, Markström has been considered better than Läck. They're pretty similar, both in build and in having trained for the same goalie coach. Right now Läck may have a slight edge, as Vancouver has done a better job at getting him ready than Florida has with Markström, but Markström has at least as much potential. I expect both to become starting NHL goaltenders. Hard to guess their exact potential.
Will they reach the Lundqvist/luongo level? Probably not, but it's not impossible. They have a friendly rivalry between them, and reuniting them may be turn out to be a smart move, as that may lead to them pushing eachother to try even harder... Will they be better than Cloutier? Hell yeah! :drink:

Markström still has some warts. Has a tendency to go down too early, and needs to control rebounds better.
But he'll get there.
Excellent analysis Per!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Markstrom obviously. The kid could be a diamond in the rough, and it's hard to ignore that level of talent. I think Strangelove pointed out that Markstrom never had a goalie coach in the NHL either right? It will be interesting to see how he performs here with more structured hands on coaching.

It's also great in knowing that Markstrom has already experienced so much international success in big events. Obviously, that demonstrates that he can play at an elite level when it matters most.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's a scary thought heading into next season without Luongo but comforting to think we might have a decent duo in net. Good friends, good rivalry, same age, similar cap hits. Another goalie controversy waiting to happen. Let's hope so :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Per wrote:

What I know and think of Markström, well most has already been said. A highly touted prospect, who's still a diamond in the rough. Definitely has the potential to be a bona fide NHL starter, but he's not proven himself ready to shoulder that task just yet.
Thanks Per! Hopefully he'll help fill the enormous hole that Luo left now that's he gone. (pun intended)
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Thanks Per,
I read that markstrom lets in a softy every couple of games. I hope our defender and Rollie can help that out. Playing in Florida might have some thing to do with that as well.
I hope the Canucks use both markstrom and lack as a team until one takes over... Next year.... I think a two goalie system can work ... But I'm not old school.
Mattais has good size and can skate.
The Canucks can't have enough heavy skaters......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill