Shawn Matthias, as we move on

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Shawn Matthias, as we move on

Post by Hockey Widow »

From the Sun:

Shawn Matthias already has one fan waiting for him in Vancouver, his younger brother.

Steven Matthias, 24, moved to the west coast six months to join an accounting firm and apparently got wind of Shawn’s trade to the Canucks before the player himself.

“He’s pretty excited,” Shawn Matthias, 26, said in a conference call late Tuesday afternoon. “He actually called me before I even knew I was traded.”

Matthias will join the Canucks in Dallas and have his first skate with the team on Thursday morning. At a listed 6-4 and 223 pounds, he will bring a lot of size to the Canuck lineup. He also seems to be coming with an extremely positive attitude.

“I’m pumped, I’m so excited,” said Matthias, a native of Mississauga, Ont. “I told my agent a while ago that I’d love to go to a Canadian city. I saw the rumblings and the rumours to Van for a while and I was always hoping it would happen. When I got the news today, I couldn’t stop smiling. I’m a Canadian kid and you want to play in a Canadian market. It’s going to be special and I think my game is going to elevate.

“I was hoping for a change for a while,” he continued. “Last year at the deadline, I was hoping for a change. It’s been a frustrating season here (in Florida) but I think I’ve played well. I’m excited to come to Vancouver and get started and show that I can be the player I know I can be. Vancouver is a first-class organization and I want to step right in and help the team and be accountable and reliable. I want to show my teammates right off the bat that I want to be here.

Matthias joins the Canucks with nine goals and seven assists in 59 games.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Shawn Matthias, as we move on

Post by SKYO »

Nice, wonder how Torts will take to him, either he'll love him or hate him haha.

Hopefully it's he former, if Torts is here, might as well try to get players he likes to work with...maybe he'll do well with him like he was with Boyle/Prust.

Higgins Matthias Hansen 3rd line will probably be superb!

Now to work on that 2nd line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Some positive energy is desperately needed in canuck land. He sure sounds stoked to be coming and here's hoping he really has some game left to show.

Just hope evil fonzie doesn't destroy him too :scowl:
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm happy we got Matthias in this deal but I wanted to point out that chances are he will not be playing much centre here. He's been playing a lot on the wing in FLA it seems if you look at his faceoff stats.

We picked up a big bodied, young 3rd maybe 2nd line winger that can play some spot duty at centre.

That being said, with our injuries and depth he may get a shot at centre here, but his 38% FO won't keep him there long unless he improves.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Some positive energy is desperately needed in canuck land. He sure sounds stoked to be coming and here's hoping he really has some game left to show.

Just hope evil fonzie doesn't destroy him too :scowl:
:thumbs:
Aaronp18 wrote:I'm happy we got Matthias in this deal but I wanted to point out that chances are he will not be playing much centre here. He's been playing a lot on the wing in FLA it seems if you look at his faceoff stats.

We picked up a big bodied, young 3rd maybe 2nd line winger that can play some spot duty at centre.

That being said, with our injuries and depth he may get a shot at centre here, but his 38% FO won't keep him there long unless he improves.
Yup granted the Panthers are stacked at center though, he'll get more 3rd line center minutes here for sure, with Richardson bumped down to the 4th.
Then next season hopefully he'll be our LW/C because as you said he is average at best on FO's.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Maybe we don't need Sutter anymore :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So we basically get another Brad Richardson in Matthias, same points, same type of game. Should really help out our anemic goal scoring woes

Skyo why is it you think Matthias is gritty? He has 14 minutes in PIMs. Richardson has double that

Whoa is me

The process

Yay shot blocking
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:So we basically get another Brad Richardson in Matthias, same points, same type of game. Should really help out our anemic goal scoring woes

Skyo why is it you think Matthias is gritty? He has 14 minutes in PIMs. Richardson has double that

Whoa is me

The process

Yay shot blocking
How about Matthias being younger, bigger and just as quick? Richardson is what he is, but Matthias still promises upside. Agreed both tend to play a similar style, but with his size Matthias can play that game better - and can play the wing.

But keep on with the hate if it keeps you going. :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, I hear that his specialty is the penalty kill. Like Malhotra, Ryan Johnson and Brad Richardson

You can never have enough of them. Go Defense! Go shot blocking! Go penalty kill! Shut er down baby
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, I hear that his specialty is the penalty kill. Like Malhotra, Ryan Johnson and Brad Richardson

You can never have enough of them. Go Defense! Go shot blocking! Go penalty kill! Shut er down baby
Must poo poo
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:I'm happy we got Matthias in this deal but I wanted to point out that chances are he will not be playing much centre here. He's been playing a lot on the wing in FLA it seems if you look at his faceoff stats.
Yeah but he is a better centre than Alex Burrows so.. :look:

On Matthias in general - it'll be interesting to see what he's got. I'm not really putting a lot of stock into the old "look at the undeveloped potential on this former Panther!" bit anymore but he has scored goals in bunches and does bring some nice attributes that this team could use more of.

I don't expect he ever turns into a top six player but if he can be consistent enough to earn his keep as a third liner (either at wing or center) and have a couple of those ~15 game stretches each year where he pops a goal every 2-3 games, I think that's adequate and that's the kind of depth scoring where if you have 4-5 guys of that level outside of your top scorers it can get you through a lot of stretches of the season with enough offense to win games.

He's unrestricted at the end of next year and I figure if he plays well enough to earn a deal resembling the Higgins/Hansen extensions that's probably a pretty successful acquisition.

At the same time he's only a couple years younger than Jannik Hansen and was taken three drafts after Kesler, two guys we are already starting to contemplate moving if the team isn't going to contend in the near future - so it's not like he's got much time before the book is closed completely on him as a guy with upside.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uh oh...just heard that Matthias hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. Looks like we picked up another airhead from the Miami beach
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Uh oh...just heard that Matthias hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. Looks like we picked up another airhead from the Miami beach
What's your source? Daniels?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)