Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Kesler has requested a trade

Post by SKYO »

Seeing as this is pretty major news, I think this deserves it's own thread!
@LouisJean_TVA

Sources say Ryan Kesler requested a trade some time ago & wants out of Vcr.

Told #Canucks don't want to trade him but may not have a choice.
@TSNBobMcKenzie says the Canucks are looking for a young (20-25ish) centre in any trade involving Ryan Kesler.
Who we gonna get in return for Kesler? I'd say two good young pieces ala Mike Richards trade.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by rats19 »

Thank god ...we truly need more drama.. Lou is too fucking happy all of a sudden..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

who in the hell is LouisJean - Twitter is for fools
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Pretty upsetting for a die hard fan of 17.

There is a bright spot however, they can get a significant return if they play their cards right.

I would elaborate but still have to process this. I feel like I did when Bure wanted out. Speechless.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

All I see is some no-name Twitter rumour, and BMac stating the obvious.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Louis Jean is with TVA. Don't know if he has a mole in the dressing room (someone check Burr's and Lou's cell phones ;) ) He was also feeding Canuck-related rumours with a Quebec nature (ie-Lou and AV rumours). Not sure how credible he is, but hardly obscure.

I'll believe this shit when I see RK17 traded, but you know what they say about smoke...

As many (including Botchford) have said, if there was a player on this roster who was the personification of Torts' style of play, it would be Kesler. From that angle, this rumour makes no sense.

If I recall correctly, Kesler had a problem with hard-ass coaches (he wanted off a pee-wee team his dad was coaching because his dad rode him a bit, if I remember the story right). No doubt he's matured a tad, but you wonder if Torts' style - remember he even had his tiffs with AV, who abdicated the room to the likes of him and the rest of the core - didn't grate on him if the rumours are true.

Couple that with the way this team is headed this season, I would hate to think that Kesler would be the type to jump off a ship that's leaking.

This type of info doesn't help Gillis' position much, but when you have someone like Kesler and his contract it doesn't matter if Kesler's not happy. The market for him would be huge, and Gillis would have some room to play GMs off each other - if he doesn't let this drag. Not saying this has to get done within days - the cap reality of many teams who could offer good packages precludes them right now. But I would say if the rumours are true, this should get done by the draft.

Man, oh man... I didn't want to see these days for a while. :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

No idea how reputable Louis Jean is, but he's not just a random guy on Twitter. He works for TVA sports in Quebec and is putting his reputation on the line when he comes out and makes this sort of declaration.

If this is true, I can't say I blame Kesler. He'll be on the wrong side of 30 at the start of next year and is an intensely competitive guy. I'm sure he wants to play on a contender and we are not that at the moment.

On the plus side, the return for Kesler would be massive. It would be the type of trade we could really springboard from combined with Horvat et al.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Louis Jean is a legit source, doesn't mean he's right but he's definitely got sources.

My reaction? Meh. If he wants to be traded you get some good pieces for him and move on. Cheer for the laundry, as long as it makes the team better in the long run I'm ok with it. I would expect a young player or two to be the return, and would expect the best time to trade him is the deadline unless it's not achievable given his injury.

I have to say I'm a bit angry that Kes played two or three extra games for the US after getting injured but can't play for the Canucks. That's something a professional doesn't do.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We'll know pretty soon whether Louis Jean is legit or just blowing smoke up everyone's asses. Kesler is a type A personality so he is probably going to be honest and up front about this one way or another. Hopefully they can get a nice package for him.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Diehard1 wrote:I have to say I'm a bit angry that Kes played two or three extra games for the US after getting injured but can't play for the Canucks. That's something a professional doesn't do.
Olympic knock-out rounds with a chance to win a medal

or

a game against the Blues during a regular season to forget.

Yeah, he's a professional but we're talking apples and oranges here. I can understand where he's coming from.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Didn't HW report this over a week ago?
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Well it jives with what I posted about a week ago and HW heard similar, not that Kes had requested though. We do have pages of discussion in the trades and rumor thread though...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:We'll know pretty soon whether Louis Jean is legit or just blowing smoke up everyone's asses. Kesler is a type A personality so he is probably going to be honest and up front about this one way or another. Hopefully they can get a nice package for him.
Supposedly Kes' agent says it's BS. Who really knows though, the agent is likely a lawyer so would know how to speak in riddles. My guess is we won't know until either the deadline or the draft, or until Kes comments on it himself.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I'm not terribly surprised by this if it is infact true, but I wish nothing but the best for Kesler in his future endeavors......whether it's here, or somewhere else.

The Canucks, in my opinion, should be looking for young up-coming pieces to complement the next core consisting ofHorvat, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Tanev, Corrado, Lack, etc.

Personally, I'm at peace with it.

This current Canuck core, despite still being a pretty good team when healthy, just doesn't have that "it" factor mentally. As someone that has extensively followed the Miami Heat, BC Lions, Seattle Seahawks, and yes, Team Canada Men's Hockey in both 2010 and 2014, I know what characteristics to look for in a championship team. As much as I love the Canucks, and always will........this core doesn't have "it" between the ears......and it is time for a change.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Diehard1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:We'll know pretty soon whether Louis Jean is legit or just blowing smoke up everyone's asses. Kesler is a type A personality so he is probably going to be honest and up front about this one way or another. Hopefully they can get a nice package for him.
Supposedly Kes' agent says it's BS. Who really knows though, the agent is likely a lawyer so would know how to speak in riddles. My guess is we won't know until either the deadline or the draft, or until Kes comments on it himself.
Hopefully he doesn't comment until it's done. I never understood why players who want to be traded discuss their demands/requests publicly. If you want out of town, make the request, shut the fuck up, and let the GM make a deal. Once the world knows you want out everyone is out to fleece your GM and it becomes much harder to move the player.