Bye-bye Dale

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Bye-bye Dale

Post by mathonwy »

Sorry Slacker for the repost of info.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dutch Gretzky for a Swiss Olympian.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

As an aside, I will miss the "Dutch Gretzky" nickname.

As with most traditional English usage of "Dutch" it betrays the falseness of the next word..

Dutch treat, Dutch courage, Dutch uncle, Dutch Gretzky.

Seeya Dale.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

To be fair to Dale, there have been shifts where our 4th line have completely dominated the opponents and hemmed them in their own zone. Dale has decent puck handling skills and understands how to cycle to eat time.

You DO get flashes of beyond 4th line talent from Dale from time to time but if you can get a 20min d-man for him, you take the deal and run.

Good luck in la belle province!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We needed a serviceable d'man right now. 4 guys out and probably not back until after the break. If he can be that, plus a semblance of a PP quarterback then it's a worth while trade.

Weise brought some good things when he was playing his A game. Unfortunately he only brings that 1-8 or so games. But what he brings, as others have said, is readily available on the farm.

Certainly not a block buster by any stretch. Also have to think Torts knows the player somewhat.

Just gotta hold the defence together for a bit here. I don't mind this trade at all as it is more than I thought we would get for Weise. Now we have two Swiss Olympians on the team. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But I certainly don't hold any illusions that this is a bold move or one that puts us over the top :mrgreen: !!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Surprised and happy we got something for Dale Weise!!!

woot! right side QB.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:We needed a serviceable d'man right now. 4 guys out and probably not back until after the break. If he can be that, plus a semblance of a PP quarterback then it's a worth while trade.

Weise brought some good things when he was playing his A game. Unfortunately he only brings that 1-8 or so games. But what he brings, as others have said, is readily available on the farm.

Certainly not a block buster by any stretch. Also have to think Torts knows the player somewhat.

Just gotta hold the defence together for a bit here. I don't mind this trade at all as it is more than I thought we would get for Weise. Now we have two Swiss Olympians on the team. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But I certainly don't hold any illusions that this is a bold move or one that puts us over the top :mrgreen: !!!!
HW I gotta say, you have been far too absent lately considering all the trade rumors circulating.

Where's our inside scoop???? :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

All you need to know about Diaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKHeFXU73w
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
HW I gotta say, you have been far too absent lately considering all the trade rumors circulating.

Where's our inside scoop???? :P

OK, here is what I've heard. The water boy has made it abundantly clear that missing the playoffs is not an option. Something about the team being a total embarrassment this season and falling far short of where they(internally) predicted we would be at this point. No excuses if the club fails to make the playoffs.

As far as rumours of trades, coming from the players mind you, is they have been told no more excuses. All options will be explored and players who don't want to buy in will be dealt. First time they have been told as a group that management had lost confidence in their ability as a core to win. Everyone has been told they need to find a way to step it up. Have been told not too expect management to make short term deals to help them over the hump this year. The guys have to find a way to get it done or the club will begin to move in a different direction. Not ruling out trades between now and trade deadline but they won't be of the depth for playoff type of deals if they go down. Have been told that if the team fails to make the playoffs bigger changes will happen in the off season.

No specifics as to rumours. Just sounds like dad is tired of pampering the kids and had a heart to heart with the teenagers, so to speak. Overall major disappointment throughout the organization and right now it is mostly mental. Loss of confidence.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Diaz, small soft smooth skating d man (Bigger, Faster Younger) who will be a free agent at seasons end.

Weise's speed will be missed, but he's a perennial 4th liner. Archibald will be told, no longer asked, to step in and take the job.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Word on Weise is that he was told repeatedly that he needed to be more physical and was not on the team to score. Basically sounds like Torts expected him to be more of a fighter and sacrifice his body every shift or he had no value. Dale wanted more of a chance at a third line role, not 4th line grinder. Difference in opinion as to potential. Sounds a little Cookish to me.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

herb wrote:This is quite a bizarre trade from the Habs’ perspective.

They just traded their fourth defenceman in terms of TOI/G for marginal NHL-er Dale Weise. I have to assume they haven’t actually watched Dale play hockey before.
OMG look at his numbers from the Tilburg Trappers!. He's amazing.

Habs win.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Word on Weise is that he was told repeatedly that he needed to be more physical and was not on the team to score. Basically sounds like Torts expected him to be more of a fighter and sacrifice his body every shift or he had no value. Dale wanted more of a chance at a third line role, not 4th line grinder. Difference in opinion as to potential. Sounds a little Cookish to me.
The bane of the bottom 6 forward, particularly 4th liners who want to contribute more.

Also the frustration for coaches and GM's, it's like owning a company and hiring a general labourer who is well suited to his job but all of a sudden wants to move into the role of project manager.....
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Even with a minor change, I'll bet ya anything the team will respond well, change is needed, and it'll be refreshing.

Torts will like that he can block shots!

--
& thanks for update HW!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I still can’t believe Gillis got a legitimate top six defenceman for Weise. Diaz may very well not work out, but on paper Bergevin got hosed.

I do feel somewhat sorry for these fourth liners who get told to be physical or find a new career, but then I look up a guy like Dale Weise on Capgeek and see he has already made nearly $2M in the NHL and feel a whole lot less sorry.