How to fix the Canucks defense?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: How to fix the Canucks defense?

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm When he was drafted i think he was 150lbs or something. Skinny like a pipecleaner.
Like a lot of just turned 18 year olds
Well its well known that the pick was a fuck up. Who else went before karlsson? More than just gillis looked like shit after that pick
Lots of guys. He was a reach where he went as it was. Lol at Red Nose blabbering about Gillis talking about Analytics leading into the 08 draft. Sure he was :lol:
He suckered me into another gillis vortex :lol:

It developed slowly so i didnt notice at first...like a frog in boiling water
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Should Benning increase his rate of drafting at least 1 defenceman somewhere in the first 3 rounds of every draft or should he lower his rate to drafting only 2 defencemen in the first 3 rounds over 6 drafts like Gillis?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vortex activated
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm He suckered me into another gillis vortex :lol:

It developed slowly so i didnt notice at first...like a frog in boiling water
Like a moth to the flame, and the flame is a raging dumpster fire of depression and substance abuse. This is the Dudes relationship with Gillis, he just can't stop, despite the pain it causes him.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hey, just curious, is there any real indication that Tryamkin is intent on coming back to play for the Canucks? Like this upcoming season maybe? Anybody know... or think they might know?
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nuckster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am Hey, just curious, is there any real indication that Tryamkin is intent on coming back to play for the Canucks? Like this upcoming season maybe? Anybody know... or think they might know?
There’s really been no indication either way. Some random tweets here and there. It would be smart to put a bit of pressure on him to make a decision. Try and get him to come back. Pay him Gudbranson type money so he can get out of that contract. If he balks, deal him to Washington or Florida. They seem to be able to handle Russians
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm When he was drafted i think he was 150lbs or something. Skinny like a pipecleaner.
Like a lot of just turned 18 year olds
Well its well known that the pick was a fuck up. Who else went before karlsson? More than just gillis looked like shit after that pick
Be funny if the Canucks signed EK, like a gift from the gods after RIP Bourdon passed years ago.
But also Canucks would have had 4 dmen in that 1st round.
Schenn, EK, Sbisa, MDZ. & 149th oa P. Larsen, 190th oa Bartkowski

Also 31st overall Markstrom, 111th Weise. lol

8 Boedker
9 Bailey
10 Hodgson
11 Beach
12 Myers
13 Teubert
14 Boychuk
15 EK
16 Colborne
17 Gardiner
18 Pickard
19 Sbisa
20 MDZ
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am
11 Beach
Too bad we never got the local-kid power forward, he coulda made a killer line with Gaunce, right Blob? :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:31 am
SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am
11 Beach
Too bad we never got the local-kid power forward, he coulda made a killer line with Gaunce, right Blob? :lol:
No shit they could play in the AHL and aspire to be an awesome 4th line like Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle. 13.35 million well spent right there
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Beach has ZERO NHL games played? lol

Yes Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle are overpaid, but obviously more so Eriksson being dumb overpaid, but between Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle they have a combined:
2,132 NHL games played, with 152 playoff games.

These guys are pro's and are better than all the career AHLers who couldn't make it, that's the mature way to think about it anyways, they have outworked all the has-been's while Beags has won a Cup championship recently while being one of the hardest workers of the bunch with the Caps, even Ovechkin misses his work ethic and never say die attitude. Beagle is a leader and when this team reaches the playoffs - he and Roussel will be the hardest workers up front.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm Beach has ZERO NHL games played? lol

Yes Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle are overpaid, but obviously more so Eriksson being dumb overpaid, but between Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle they have a combined:

These guys are pro's and are better than all the career AHLers who couldn't make it, that's the mature way to think about it anyways, they have outworked all the has-been's while Beags has won a Cup championship recently while being one of the hardest workers of the bunch with the Caps, even Ovechkin misses his work ethic and never say die attitude. Beagle is a leader and when this team reaches the playoffs - he and Roussel will be the hardest workers up front.
Thats just it Skyo, you need a balance. Id still like to see Louie gone this year if we can make it happen.

But it brings us back to the debate about whether this is a playoff team. Yes, if we make the playoffs we will benefit greatly from the vets. If we don't then the argument, I think, goes, we need to get rid of them, get more picks, let the kids play. We saw in Utica that really don't have forwards we can call up, reliably. Im still of the opinion it was a mistake to trade Dahlen. No one else on forward really looks ready for the NHL. On D we have a few players, Sautner and Brisebois, who showed they can fill in when needed. We also sign Leves and Gifford (sp) who showed they can play at the NHL level.
But we still need vets and the cost in FA is high for those guys. I have no problem with Rousell or Beagle. Im so so on Sutter. Id love Louie gone. If Benning can trade Sutter and Louie then that's a great off season. But he will have to fill those roster spots and we don have anyone capable of filling in for them.

So welcome to another off season of free agency.

On D so much depends upon Hughes first year and the development of Juolevi. If they both show they are top four in a couple of years it makes decisions clearer. Sign Edler for two years. Sign Hutton 2 years. Deal with it all after the expansion draft.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm Beach has ZERO NHL games played? lol

Thats just it Skyo, you need a balance. Id still like to see Louie gone this year if we can make it happen.

But it brings us back to the debate about whether this is a playoff team. Yes, if we make the playoffs we will benefit greatly from the vets. If we don't then the argument, I think, goes, we need to get rid of them, get more picks, let the kids play. We saw in Utica that really don't have forwards we can call up, reliably. Im still of the opinion it was a mistake to trade Dahlen. No one else on forward really looks ready for the NHL. On D we have a few players, Sautner and Brisebois, who showed they can fill in when needed. We also sign Leves and Gifford (sp) who showed they can play at the NHL level.
But we still need vets and the cost in FA is high for those guys. I have no problem with Rousell or Beagle. Im so so on Sutter. Id love Louie gone. If Benning can trade Sutter and Louie then that's a great off season. But he will have to fill those roster spots and we don have anyone capable of filling in for them.

So welcome to another off season of free agency.

On D so much depends upon Hughes first year and the development of Juolevi. If they both show they are top four in a couple of years it makes decisions clearer. Sign Edler for two years. Sign Hutton 2 years. Deal with it all after the expansion draft.
When it comes to Leivo and Granlund I think Benning should let them walk, test UFA, and tell them to circle back if they don't get anything, but at that point don't offer them anything more than a 2-way contract and ship them to Utica at the start of the year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I was never happy about the Dahlen trade. Stinks of personal differences more than a hockey move and we appear to have got the shit end of the stick
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 pm I was never happy about the Dahlen trade. Stinks of personal differences more than a hockey move and we appear to have got the shit end of the stick
Well, he kind of forced it, the question is why? Was it a Cull? Was it that he was pissed about not playing with his friend Pete?
Yet he goes away and says he'll be happy to play in the minors when he arrives at his new, (soon to be rebuilding), team.
Hey! We might get to see him play next year.

While we sit around and >>>>Image
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am Be funny if the Canucks signed EK, like a gift from the gods after RIP Bourdon passed years ago.
But also Canucks would have had 4 dmen in that 1st round.
Schenn, EK, Sbisa, MDZ. & 149th oa P. Larsen, 190th oa Bartkowski

Also 31st overall Markstrom, 111th Weise. lol

8 Boedker
9 Bailey
10 Hodgson
11 Beach
12 Myers
13 Teubert
14 Boychuk
15 EK
16 Colborne
17 Gardiner
18 Pickard
19 Sbisa
20 MDZ
Wow, lots of good D-men that draft. Some good ones in the 2nd round as well: Josi, Voynov, Schultz, Hamonic. :P