How to fix the Canucks defense?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: How to fix the Canucks defense?

Post by Hockey Widow »

what feedback I got re Dahlen and Utica:

He was well liked, a good teammate.
He was seen as the most skilled forward.
Played hard, hated to lose
One of the hardest workers
Dazzled some of his teammates with some of his moves
Never complained
Players were shocked he was traded, no one saw it coming. Some players confused by the reports he was a problem or a complainer, never happened.

Dahlen himself was shocked and upset by the trade. Wanted to be a Canuck and was excited about the prospect of one day playing with Pettersson. Never asked for a trade, never asked his agent to ask for a trade. He felt he wasn't given clear direction of a pathway to the NHL. Felt AHL hockey was not helping him, not his game. SEL or NHL. Was more than prepared to do his time if he had a pathway to the NHL.

Sure sounds to me that it was a case of a player not liking the AHL. He was not unhappy as a Canuck prospect. He just didn't really know or understand how the AHL was preparing him for the NHL. For some players it is like that. In retrospect he probably should have tried the SEL for a year. I think Benning made a mistake in this trade.

Unless there is something more behind the scenes that hasn't leaked out yet I really think we screwed up on this kid. I say that not knowing anything about the player we got back and without seeing Dahlen play one NHL game. I also admit he did not impress me at camp and I felt he did not earn a spot out of camp. But again, maybe the SEL would have been a better choice for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

A little article on Linus Karlsson;
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -305291660

There is probably better info somewhere? This one said just before the trade deadline? W/E.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hank wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm Dahlen and his agent decided on this gambit and lost. Simple as that.

If they had taken another, less confrontational approach, who knows? They might have gotten their wish next season.

And guess what? Players get yelled at lots in the NHL. Better get used to it.

As DickStroker said, the analytics and the eye-test did not support the player. The organization was in the rights to try to develop him in a way that would benefit both the player and the team. If there is one thing about the Boston "model", it's that the trash is taken out quick.

As for Loui... sure, I don't think he was necessarily in the wrong. He might have had exactly the same conversation with Green and Benning in the exit meeting. But Green sure wasn't wrong in his treatment of Loui either. If anything, he treated him like a respected veteran and gave him more rope than he sometimes deserved.
The only thing I’ll say is louie probably should have got more time on the first unit pp, as net front, he’s exceptional at scoring in tight.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dahlen didn’t want to pay his dues. Wanted special treatment

Buh-bye
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:56 pm
The only thing I’ll say is louie probably should have got more time on the first unit pp, as net front, he’s exceptional at scoring in tight.
Thats a bit of a stretch no? Hes had some success previously but there isnt much exceptional about anything hes done unless counting the exceptionally low hit totals every year
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:39 pm Dahlen didn’t want to pay his dues. Wanted special treatment

Buh-bye
Of course that’s what happened. Everyone traded away is a cancer like McCann playing for Team Canada right now. I guess they lost Virtanen’s invite in the mail. I’m curious if Gudbranson is considered a cancer to the Benning faithful after he was traded.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:39 pm Dahlen didn’t want to pay his dues. Wanted special treatment

Buh-bye
Of course that’s what happened. Everyone traded away is a cancer like McCann playing for Team Canada right now. I guess they lost Virtanen’s invite in the mail. I’m curious if Gudbranson is considered a cancer to the Benning faithful after he was traded.
More Apples n Oranges.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

McCann was bonkers. He needed to be shown the door.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Buh-bye
More Apples n Oranges.
How so?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Tciso wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Buh-bye
More Apples n Oranges.
How so?
Your patented erroneous comparative analysis
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Buh-bye
Of course that’s what happened. Everyone traded away is a cancer like McCann playing for Team Canada right now.
Of course if he's playing for Team Canada that proves he cannot possibly be a cancer. :crazy:

Listen Blob, the punk was traded twice before his 22nd birthday.

THINK ABOUT IT

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm I’m curious if Gudbranson is considered a cancer to the Benning faithful after he was traded.
I've heard the Benning faithful say Benning was forced to trade The Guds

... because The Guds was under heavy fire from the Benning haters.

THINK ABOUT IT
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cool story
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Buh-bye
Of course that’s what happened. Everyone traded away is a cancer like McCann playing for Team Canada right now.
Of course if he's playing for Team Canada that proves he cannot possibly be a cancer. :crazy:

Listen Blob, the punk was traded twice before his 22nd birthday.

THINK ABOUT IT

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm I’m curious if Gudbranson is considered a cancer to the Benning faithful after he was traded.
I've heard the Benning faithful say Benning was forced to trade The Guds

... because The Guds was under heavy fire from the Benning haters.

THINK ABOUT IT
So why wasn’t Jake invited? Lack of talent?

Gudbranson was under fire all right. So was the rest of the team every time he took a shift. Maybe the Benning haters were his teammates. He’s a dinosaur. Would have been a solid guy 20 years ago. The game has passed him by.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ole Blob thinks he's got something here because Jared was invited and Jake was not! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Stecher was invited to Team Canada

Loui Eriksson and Petterson and Markstrom was invited to Team Sweden

Demko and Hughes to USA

Roussel to France

Benning must be a genius