Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tiger wrote:
herb wrote:I can understand going after Iginla, but I don't know why he'd sign here either other than he loves Benning and Boston can't afford him.
OK the Dude has gone soft and mushy.. so someones gotta stir the pot :)

Iginla isn't coming here unless he is money motivated and the Canucks overpay him bigtime..
We are not a "middle of the pack team", let alone a contender. Gillis guaranteed that with his NT and NM deals.
We are stuck with the twins for 4 years at 7 mill each plus we kept our worst top 4 dman ( Edler ) . The Sedins have been in decline since 2011 .. Edlers stats speak for themself.. Kesler left a sinking ship to go to a contender . He had a so so year last year but was still the only Canuck to score over 20 goals.. So now we got an AHL coach and a team that might win a few games but surely is not going to make the playoffs.. If they really wanted to build a 'contender" they would have kept Booth used the compliance buyout to buy out Danny and kissed Keslers butt to keep him and built around him ( yeah, not much difference between a prick and an Asshole except when he is leaving )..
So in the last 2 years we have consistently made the wrong decisions.. Gillis should of been gone 2 years ago . The Sedin's should never been signed for 4 more years.. and Edler should have been traded for a tweener like we got for Kesler. We got 19 Mill in salary against the cap with 3 swedes that are vastly overpaid and we are no longer a contender and will not make the playoffs with the team as is even if we do sign Iginla ..
What a ridiculous post
He speaks the truth...come on Blobby, a rookie coach, same stale core, only UFAs to improve us, buncha rookies and sophomores...if it ain't tank'n I don't know what is, JB & TL are just not as obvious as the Subres, Laughs and cOilers about tit.

We are not a contender so why try to be?! We are on a 3-4 year project rebuild, The Aqualungs just can't say that as they need to sell tix in a wishy-washy market.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Arachnid wrote:
He speaks the truth...come on Blobby, a rookie coach, same stale core, only UFAs to improve us, buncha rookies and sophomores...if it ain't tank'n I don't know what is, JB & TL are just not as obvious as the Subres, Laughs and cOilers about tit.

We are not a contender so why try to be?! We are on a 3-4 year project rebuild, The Aqualungs just can't say that as they need to sell tix in a wishy-washy market.
I agree, that is what I mean. I dont see how signing 1 - 2 UFA will help this team in anyway.

I am not saying tank it or anything but i really prefer to give icetime to the youth.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gleason bought out,

Briere traded to Avs for PAP,

Josh Georges is rumoured to want out,

Sharks trying to trade Niemi so they can sign Miller.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

This is quite interesting.
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
The Flames were aggressive pre-draft. Offered to take on Mike Ribeiro for 12th pick (Ribeiro wouldn't waive). Ultimately, he was bought out.
Another one...
Flames made a trade offer for Cam Ward in exchange for Carolina's 7th pick. Obvious salary dump opportunity. Hurricanes declined.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The Canucks are indeed considering Iginla.
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
RT @ctv_kelcey: Canucks reach out to Jarome Iginla. I've been told that Trevor Linden had a conversation with Iginla on Sunday @CTVVancouver
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Jovocop wrote:This is quite interesting.
The Flames were aggressive pre-draft. Offered to take on Mike Ribeiro for 12th pick (Ribeiro wouldn't waive). Ultimately, he was bought out.
Another one...
Flames made a trade offer for Cam Ward in exchange for Carolina's 7th pick. Obvious salary dump opportunity. Hurricanes declined.
So, the Flames called the Canes and said we'll take Ward off your hand if you give us your #1 pick? And similarly to the Coyotes too? I've seen these sort of salary dump deals before, but it's usually a 3rd/4th rounder...there's got to be something else here..."oh, you want our #1 goalie and all we have to do is give you a top 7 pick; great, sure, man, this ecstasy is great!"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote: Iginla isn't coming here unless he is money motivated and the Canucks overpay him bigtime..
Or unless Benden sold him on The Plan (which we aren't privy to at this point).

Plus maybe a promise to trade him to a contender at the deadline if things go south?
Tiger wrote: We are not a "middle of the pack team", let alone a contender.
We don't know what we are yet until the rest of the moves are made.

We also don't know how much the Sedins will bounce back or how much some of the youngsters will step up.
Tiger wrote: So now we got an AHL coach...
Willie was an "associate head coach" in the NHL for 2 seasons.

And he was an exceptional AHL coach.

(note: the Penguins were after him)
Tiger wrote: and a team that might win a few games but surely is not going to make the playoffs..
Shouldn't we wait until they spend some of that $17m in cap-space before we make predictions?
Tiger wrote: If they really wanted to build a 'contender" they would have kept Booth used the compliance buyout to buy out Danny and kissed Keslers butt to keep him and built around him.
LOFL!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Shouldn't we wait until they spend some of that $17m in cap-space before we make predictions?
Obviously, this what we're all waiting for. According to Capgeek we have $17.7M to spend, with Tanev, Kassian, and Vey as RFA's to sign. I'd wager Tanev will sign for $3-$3.5M, Kassian for $1.8-$2.2M. If we assume on the high end that both are signed for $5.7M, that still gives us $12M to spend. Vey will come cheap, around or just under $1M.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Canucks go after Iginla for $4.5M/year on a two-year deal, and then Miller on a 5 year, $30M contract. We'll be happy with Iginla, and we'll be pissed at the length of Miller's contract. Still think Hansen gets dealt as the odd man out of the bottom-6. Markstrom will be dumped. If Iginla comes to Vancouver, Burrows could go too. They'll kick the tires on Bolland, but won't go beyond 5 years. He'll get big money to go to Edmonton.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Jovocop wrote:This is quite interesting.
Another one...
So, the Flames called the Canes and said we'll take Ward off your hand if you give us your #1 pick? And similarly to the Coyotes too? I've seen these sort of salary dump deals before, but it's usually a 3rd/4th rounder...there's got to be something else here..."oh, you want our #1 goalie and all we have to do is give you a top 7 pick; great, sure, man, this ecstasy is great!"
Treliving trepanning.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:So the Gagner story is weird. Tampa traded for him then was going to buy him out in a non compliance buy out. But Arizona came calling and he and Crombeen get sent there for a second. Plus word is Tampa retained 1/3 of Gagner's salary.
I guess the 1/3 number is what a buy out would have cost them (per year) at half the term. Not too shabby for the Bolts I guess, if they were prepared to buy him out anyway.
Hockey Widow wrote:Also, Garrison's NTC does not follow him and word is he is being shopped.
None of that makes sense to me. Garrison is UFA age so his NTC should have been in effect (ie. no Carter/Richards style trade before it took effect which is what invalidates them).

Furthermore the Lightning actually gave up something of (moderate) value for Garrison, unless Yzerman is literally just picking up guys he thinks he can flip (ie. he's going to get something better than the 50th pick) it doesn't make much sense to acquire someone they don't plan to keep.
Going by capgeek explanation

If a player has a full NMC, it travels with him even if he waives it to be traded. However, if the player is traded before his NMC takes effect, it automatically vaporizes unless — in rare circumstances — the acquiring club agrees in writing to be bound by it.
An NTC does not travel with a player if a) the player waives a full NTC or b) the player is traded within the terms of a limited or modified NTC. In addition, if the player is traded before his NTC takes effect, it vaporizes unless — in rare circumstances — the acquiring club agrees in writing to be bound by it.

So if accurate, Garrison could be traded to Montreal for Gorges.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Interesting. Almost seems like a limited NTC is more durable (for lack of a better word) than a full one. Ie. you never have to "waive" it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Interesting. Almost seems like a limited NTC is more durable (for lack of a better word) than a full one. Ie. you never have to "waive" it.

Well a limited NTC disappears if you are traded within the terms. So I take that to mean if you give a list of 5 teams you will go to as per your LNTC, but eventually are traded to a sixth team. Presumably you would have to agree but since it was a trade outside the original terms, you keep your LNTC.

But that's just how I read it.

New strategy. Jimbo , go out and get as many players on he cheap that have NTC. As soon as you get them trade them in an open market. Like buying a presales condo in Vancouver. Some you win with good appreciation, some you lose, some you break even.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:We don't know what we are yet until the rest of the moves are made.
This is the most accurate assessment that's been made about the team since Benning took over.

Speculation is fun though. :thumbs:

I have to admit, going into a season with complete and total uncertainty is a nice change. It makes me excited to watch again, even if Benning's Canucks turn into a complete and total failure.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Looks like Hansen is staying.

His NTC kicked in a hour ago.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

sagebrush wrote:Looks like Hansen is staying.

His NTC kicked in a hour ago.

Like that would stop trader Jim!

According to cap geek, Hansen has a modified NTC and Higgins has a limited NTC. Don't know the difference nor the specifics. If Jim wants them gone they will be gone.

He said Sunday that he does not anticipate moving anyone from the roster until after camp. Feels they have good competition for all spots with the existing players, new players, young kids and whoever they add at FA. Said he will worry about those that don't make the roster then and make decisions at that time. So it doesnt't look like he is set one way or the other at this point. Still open to deals but content to go to camp as it is and let the players earn a spot.

I like his attitude. I think if some young kids earn a spot he will be content to dump the older guys at that time. I already like how he is willing to let players go if he doesn't see a fit, Garrison, Dalpe, JS. Right or wrong he is decisive. One of my gripes with MG was his fear of losing a player on waivers that often saw him keeping lesser players on the roster and sending waiver eligible players down. Now to a point I get that as you need good asset management but he just seemed to be afraid of making a mistake.

Silly hour is almost upon us. Do I go to bed now so I am fresh for the day or just pull an all nighter? At my age I figure I only have 10-15 Free Agency Days left so how best to enjoy them is the challenge.