Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow »

Starting to get some intel. Of course unconfirmed.

Canucks have told Kesler unless he expands his list he will remain a Canuck. Kesler has expanded the list to 2-4 more teams. Two yes, two will consider. Those teams are preparing firm offers. Chicago wants Kesler badly as they see their window closing in a few years as they do not think they can re-sign everyone over the next two years but both Anaheim and Chicago have been low balling. The significant movement MacKenzie was talking about earlier today was in fact the Kesler camp opening up the trade list. Both Anaheim and Chicago are said to be reconsidering a final firm offer. If Anaheim loses out they are preparing a plan B for Spezza.

The Canucks have asked two other players with NTC to waive. One is considering, one has said no, but is feeling the pressure. Hearing the Canucks had a tentative deal in place for Garrison but he refused to waive but is now angry and bitter about how it is being handled. Perhaps deliberately so by Canucks to get him to waive?

Don't know who the other player is but I suspect it is Burrows. Will try yo get confirmation later tonight, could be a wrong guess on my part.

Don't know the specifics of who the trading partners are/were.

Canucks have told Edler he is here for the long term. They see him as future Norris material and have told him they want to build the back end around him.

Other potential moves expected to clear out dead weight. Canucks dead serious trying to move up to draft the 1st overall. Partly because of who they want to pick, and it will be a local boy, and partly for the PR optics and having the 1st overall. But see this pick as returning to junior for one more year unless he earns a spot at camp, but ideally want to return him to the juniors.

Lucic now is back to wanting to finish his career as a Canuck. He loves Benning and would love the opportunity to sign here when he hits FA.

Hearing there are a lot of back room stories but have to wait to get more details. One friend said he simply cannot say anything until after the draft. Meeting for dinner with a couple of friends tonight so maybe I can pry some info lose.

I was told to bank on a few things:

Kesler is 100% gone.
Edler is 100% staying
Garrison is 50% gone
Canucks have a better than 50% chance of drafting first, if Tallon is serious about trading the pick.
One other player with a NTC is 50% gone
Hansen is 50% gone before his modified NT kicks in.

I know there is really not anything new here but my friend has said he was shocked by the extent of the sweeping changes Benning and Linden are trying to pull off right off the bat. If they succeed in pulling all these moves off we will not only have a drastically different team/core but a lot more cap.

As always nothing but gossip, rumour and innuendo until confirmed directly by the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Starting to get some intel. Of course unconfirmed.

Canucks have told Kesler unless he expands his list he will remain a Canuck. Kesler has expanded the list to 2-4 more teams. Two yes, two will consider. Those teams are preparing firm offers. Chicago wants Kesler badly as they see their window closing in a few years as they do not think they can re-sign everyone over the next two years but both Anaheim and Chicago have been low balling. The significant movement MacKenzie was talking about earlier today was in fact the Kesler camp opening up the trade list. Both Anaheim and Chicago are said to be reconsidering a final firm offer. If Anaheim loses out they are preparing a plan B for Spezza.

The Canucks have asked two other players with NTC to waive. One is considering, one has said no, but is feeling the pressure. Hearing the Canucks had a tentative deal in place for Garrison but he refused to waive but is now angry and bitter about how it is being handled. Perhaps deliberately so by Canucks to get him to waive?

Don't know who the other player is but I suspect it is Burrows. Will try yo get confirmation later tonight, could be a wrong guess on my part.

Don't know the specifics of who the trading partners are/were.

Canucks have told Edler he is here for the long term. They see him as future Norris material and have told him they want to build the back end around him.

Other potential moves expected to clear out dead weight. Canucks dead serious trying to move up to draft the 1st overall. Partly because of who they want to pick, and it will be a local boy, and partly for the PR optics and having the 1st overall. But see this pick as returning to junior for one more year unless he earns a spot at camp, but ideally want to return him to the juniors.

Lucic now is back to wanting to finish his career as a Canuck. He loves Benning and would love the opportunity to sign here when he hits FA.

Hearing there are a lot of back room stories but have to wait to get more details. One friend said he simply cannot say anything until after the draft. Meeting for dinner with a couple of friends tonight so maybe I can pry some info lose.

Kesler is 100% gone.
Edler is 100% staying
Garrison is 50% gone
Canucks have a better than 50% chance of drafting first, if Tallon is serious about trading the pick.

I know there is really not anything new here but my friend has said he was shocked by the extent of the sweeping changes Benning and Linden are trying to pull off right off the bat. If they succeed in pulling all these moves off we will not only have a drastically different team/core but a lot more cap.

As always nothing but gossip, rumour and innuendo until confirmed directly by the Canucks.
That sounds promising. I'm also on the keep Edler camp unless you trade him or the assets you obtain from him for someone younger with 1st pairing upside like a Tyler Myers.

The Canucks' need to change the culture of the team for a fresh start. Kesler's the biggest domino in all this ... :mex:
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Great stuff HW...don't you ever leave me!! :(
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

I love you HW. :mrgreen: I would marry you if my wife would let me.
Last edited by Hockey_God on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

As always your info is much appreciated HW!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey_God wrote:I love you HW. :mrgreen: I would marry you if my wife would let me.
I take it you aren't a Mormon? :hmmm:
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Due to my pessimistic nature I fully expect at the end of tomorrow the Canucks will have selected Virtanen with their 6th pick, Kesler will still be a Canuck and I will be swilling Hendricks Gin Martinis this time tomorrow night

Hey Betafarts, you wanna get off the couch and away from obsessive wi-fi'ing? I need a labourer on a shovel tomorrow, the job is yours, great work out, give u beers at 4:30. There is a jiffy John so u dont have to run off for shits at Starbucks. You can listen to the draft via radio?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Due to my pessimistic nature I fully expect at the end of tomorrow the Canucks will have selected Virtanen with their 6th pick, Kesler will still be a Canuck and I will be swilling Hendricks Gin Martinis this time tomorrow night

Hey Betafarts, you wanna get off the couch and away from obsessive wi-fi'ing? I need a labourer on a shovel tomorrow, the job is yours, great work out, give u beers at 4:30. There is a jiffy John so u dont have to run off for shits at Starbucks. You can listen to the draft via radio?
Sounds good. As long as the beer ain't of the light variety. :mex:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Due to my pessimistic nature I fully expect at the end of tomorrow the Canucks will have selected Virtanen with their 6th pick, Kesler will still be a Canuck and I will be swilling Hendricks Gin Martinis this time tomorrow night

You are digging the basement in the library? :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I know there is really not anything new here but my friend has said he was shocked by the extent of the sweeping changes Benning and Linden are trying to pull off right off the bat. If they succeed in pulling all these moves off we will not only have a drastically different team/core but a lot more cap.
I love this. Fucking blow it up and remodel. If it works out and we make the playoffs, fantastic. If it doesn't, we tank hard and get a good pick in a great draft. There is nothing to lose. Better to rip the bandaid off quick vs. tinker with it until its a corpse.

When HW says Kesler "has expanded the list to 2-4 more teams. Two yes, two will consider", does that mean BEYOND the usual Penguins/Ducks/Hawks? Might he include Detroit/Toronto/Columbus on that list? If so, that should move the bidding a tad higher. At the very least it puts pressure on Ana/Chi to get something done.

Hope they trade Burrows. Montreal picks 26th. That's Vrana/Bleakley/McCown territory. Dump Garrison/Burrows/Hansen and sign Vanek for $8M. Spend the rest on parking at the Rog. I'm only half kidding.
HW wrote:Lucic now is back to wanting to finish his career as a Canuck. He loves Benning and would love the opportunity to sign here when he hits FA.
lol. Believe that when I see it.

kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Starting to get some intel. Of course unconfirmed.

Kesler is 100% gone.
Edler is 100% staying
Garrison is 50% gone

Thanks for this intel HW. Logical, and I like the balls this new management team appears to have. Btw, I would marry you also, and do not have to clear waivers (ie: ask a wife).
Tomorrow hopefully will be an exciting day in Canuckland
more cap space!
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Excellent HW - sure like the feel around the potential for the moves you mentioned.
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not much to update. A couple of very very unhappy Canucks who have been asked to waive. Been told they don't fit in the plans moving forward. I suspect it is a deliberate harsh attempt to get players to agree to waive. Two players taking time to think it over and decide but are in a little shock/anger right now. Can't really get into the teams or names of players involved from either side. Too speculative right now and too much risk to my sources but I do suspect that one of the Canucks involved will agree to waive before too long. Sorry, don't know the rumoured return at this point so can't say whether it is a good or bad deal.

Benning spoke today about having had a few talks with the Bruins. Heard tonight the Bruins are shopping not only Ericksson but also Marchand. They have tired of his antics,and need to clear a lot of cap. They want to bring Iginal back but also have a tRget for FA. Heard Canucks have some interest in Ericksson, maybe, but not so much Marchand.

Canucks plan moving forward is to get more Canadian content and more local boys. (Which is why the Garrison rumour doesn't sit well with some people. Inconsistent with stated plans) my feeling after tonight is that Benning has a very deliberate and methodical approach to trying to shake things up. He seems willing and able to be the bad cop, which is good if you advocate players with NTC being moved I suppose.

Also told Canucks are saying they have tabled their last best offer to Florida and will select Virtanen at 6 if he is still there. They now doubt Tallon will trade the pick and it is Edmonton's to lose as they covet Ekbald who they suspect Florida will take first if they hold the pick.

The problem with MG....his absolute inability to form and cultivate relationships. Difficult, elusive and suspect to deal with. And most people are saying Torts was not an MG hire!!!

Evander Kane's has asked to be dealt but Winnipeg had resisted all offers, at his point. Was almost a Canuck last year but Winnipeg pulled the plug at the last minute. They still want to build around him but his agent is working it. Current Canucks management not as hot to trade for him as MG was.

No update on Hansen or Burrows. Kesler is pushing back and waffling on an expanded list. No idea how this turns out but Canucks are threatening to keep him. That one made me laugh!!!

Not a happy place right now, so much uncertainty, hurt feelings etc etc etc. again, I think it is deliberate on behalf of the Canucks to make it uncomfortable for a few players so they will waive. Don't think we will see too much tomorrow but the logs are on the fire.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Good insight.

Sounds like more of the same from the Canucks. Rubber fire!
Sounds like a new regime that wants to clean as much of the house as the can at one time and move on. They get a pass next season as most fans don't expect much but after that......
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Benning spoke today about having had a few talks with the Bruins. Heard tonight the Bruins are shopping not only Ericksson but also Marchand.
Bolland AND Marchand!! :D
Hockey Widow wrote: Benning has a very deliberate and methodical approach to trying to shake things up. He seems willing and able to be the bad cop
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!