Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by Groovypippin »

Given today's start date, I thought a new thread might be in order. Looking forward to how the team responds to their new coach and how the new coach responds to his team.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by Tciso »

Groovypippin wrote:Given today's start date, I thought a new thread might be in order. Looking forward to how the team responds to their new coach and how the new coach responds to his team.
I am already in Tort's doghouse for excessive pre-season drinking. So, from my perspective, things are looking up.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Booth is still out with an ankle injury and has not been cleared to play according to Mike Gillis.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431656 (end of the article)
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Canuck players were asked to run two miles in 12 minutes on first day of camp. Only three managed to do it. Mike Santorelli, Daniel and Henrik Sedins.

Daniel and Henrik easily the two best conditioned athletes on the team to start camp. Bodes well for continued success and production.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jensen, Gaunce and Shinkaruk look miles from being ready.

Corrado could play in the NHL now but would be better served with a year running Utica's blue line.

Horvat looks good but if we had any center depth whatsoever we wouldn't even consider playing him more than 8 games this season.

Be interesting to see if Lain put some beef on that frame of his. When he does he could be a useful utility guy.

Cassels is a nice surprise.

Lack is a disaster waiting to happen. Sign a veteran backup until we see how Lou fares.

The fact that it appears Jordan Schroeder will be our third line center is pretty sad.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:Jensen, Gaunce and Shinkaruk look miles from being ready.

Corrado could play in the NHL now but would be better served with a year running Utica's blue line.

Horvat looks good but if we had any center depth whatsoever we wouldn't even consider playing him more than 8 games this season.

Be interesting to see if Lain put some beef on that frame of his. When he does he could be a useful utility guy.

Lack is a disaster waiting to happen. Sign a veteran backup until we see how Lou fares.

The fact that it appears Jordan Schroeder will be our third line center is pretty sad.
Have you been watching any of the camp? If so do you think Horvat would be a better 3rd line option over Schroeder?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Jensen, Gaunce and Shinkaruk look miles from being ready.

Have you been watching any of the camp? If so do you think Horvat would be a better 3rd line option over Schroeder?
I watched the Young Stars games and that's about it. At this point I don't think Horvat is a better option... down the road a bit he most certainly should be.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

3 hard laps at UBC, done six times each...

Henrik was OK with it, Higgins... not so much.

Bring on the Gauntlet....
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It'd be real interesting to know what Torturella comes away with on certain players, and what he ends up doing with that.

For example it's a little different but I recall reading that the book on Kevin Bieksa was that in games where he plays under a certain threshold (I wanna say 22 minutes) his performance is considerably stronger than when he plays over that mark.. the mistakes start creeping in, etc.

So Torts is going to push these guys to their limit and see how they respond.. what happens if/when they don't respond to his liking - in terms of decision making moreso than attitude?

What if anything do you do with that information, can you help a player improve their focus in those circumstances or do you just write them off and work with their limitations?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Agree with ya Rummy

Schroeder is most likely the only Gillis draft pick to make the squad this year, I even see that as not a strong possibility. Corrado may need a season in the minors, Jensen too. Horvat, cassels and Shinkaruk back to junior. Gaunce is a long term developing project, nowhere near ready
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr - that is hopefully something JT can do on the team, find what makes a player tick or how they respond the best and go down that path. AV just did the same thing year after year and never held the players accountable or managed their game properly.

here is hoping this will be enough for the team to go far, they still have the guns, they have solid D and a good goalie. They just need to get hot at the right time.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

[/quote] here is hoping this will be enough for the team to go far, they still have the guns, they have solid D and a good goalie. They just need to get hot at the right time.[/quote]

You know Reef, I wonder, do we really have a solid D ??
Edler has been prone to making absolute bone-headed plays (awful give-aways which have cost us dearly) and Bieksa is pretty consistent in his inconsistency. Hamhuis is solid but not big physically, and Garrison is pretty decent. Our bottom pairings include ...Alberts and Corrado and the new fellah from the Habs - Weber, and whoever else that Torts deems as suitable. Dunno, I'm inclined to view our D as being a little over-rated by many. It's probably going to help in this upcoming season to have all the forwards involved in shot-blocking, but just saying - I don't view us as having 'stellar' material on the back end. Certainly would be open to hearing other points of view on this. (maybe this should have been a topic for a separate thread?)

* i forgot to include Tanev
cc oldtimer
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

nuckster wrote:
here is hoping this will be enough for the team to go far, they still have the guns, they have solid D and a good goalie. They just need to get hot at the right time.[/quote]

You know Reef, I wonder, do we really have a solid D ??
Edler has been prone to making absolute bone-headed plays (awful give-aways which have cost us dearly) and Bieksa is pretty consistent in his inconsistency. Hamhuis is solid but not big physically, and Garrison is pretty decent. Our bottom pairings include ...Alberts and Corrado and the new fellah from the Habs - Weber, and whoever else that Torts deems as suitable. Dunno, I'm inclined to view our D as being a little over-rated by many. It's probably going to help in this upcoming season to have all the forwards involved in shot-blocking, but just saying - I don't view us as having 'stellar' material on the back end. Certainly would be open to hearing other points of view on this. (maybe this should have been a topic for a separate thread?)

* i forgot to include Tanev[/quote]

Yeah. I've considered our D to be overrated ever since Ehrhoff left and Edler became a "lock" on the top pairing.

Alex Pietrangelo just signed 7 years @ $6.5M with St. Louis. Why the hell Gillis didn't trade Edler and 1st for his rights after the Blues re-upped Bouwmeester and Shattenkirk is beyond me. $6.5M was doable here and would have helped the blueline take another step forward.....but that's neither here no there at this point.

We don't have the deepest or the best D in the league. Not by a long shot.

Our top 4 consists of 4 top 3 guys and no true number one.

We don't have a true PP QB right now. Garrison is just a cannon that needs to be loaded up, but I do think he has a bit more than we think, it will be interesting to see what happens with him this year and if Torts will expand his role on the PP.

If Gillis can work some magic and get the Canucks another top 15 pick, I hope he's directing the scouts to focus on blueliners.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

If we'd dumped Ballard, kept Ehrhoff and still signed Garrison, we'd probably have the deepest 6-8 D in the league right now.

I know he was looking for big money or long term, but if we'd shrugged Ballard's albatross of a contract off our shoulders we could have got'er done IMO.

Ehrhoff ran our PP, carried the puck, and was money with the Sedins. I was all kinds of pissed when we let him walk, it was the first big decision I was really critical of Gillis for. We have simply not been the same team since he left.

Of course once he walked, the general consensus was that I was overrating him and being a Debbie Downer... :roll:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ehrhoff was money here, and in hindsight letting him walk was a mistake. The German's salary demands were very high, but the reality is that Edler's game has falled off a cliff since Ehrhoff left because he hasn't had a consistently successful right side partner.

I think Gillis made a bit of a gamble on this front, and so far it hasn't panned out. What we need is for Garrison to step up and be that night in and night out right side partner for Edler. He can provide the goals, but while I think he has more to show from a playmaking point of view, he won't ever be the quarterback Ehrhoff was.