The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am It would be nice to get a first overall pick, but I wouldn't sweat it if we don't get one. Look through the list; there's a ton of guys drafted first who never got near a Stanley Cup final round.
I feel like Petey is a first overall talent. Elmer’s just got to slash the deadweight off the roster and add picks and prospects. And he can’t stub his toe in the top 10 anymore. Look at the Jets. Chevy hasn’t had a first round flop in 8 or 9 years. They just keep drafting quality players.
Nicolaj “Mason Raymond, 5’-11” 170 lbs, always injured, shitty in the playoffs” Ehlers

Laine? Where did he go? 113th in scoring
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ehlers has a grand total of 15 playoff games and 7 points. But yeah he’s always shitty in the playoffs :roll:

Laine is an immature kid. Still might score 40 this year. But hey we got Razor Thin Olaf from that draft. He might suit up in 2021.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 am
Per wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:51 am
Cornuck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 am As for the whole "rebuild" - I feel I've been watching a 50 (SO) year rebuild. Or is it a "Build" - since we really haven't built a championship team, yet?
We had a championship team in 2011, but got robbed. :evil:
We got outscored 23-8 in 7 games
I hate his contract too. Still.
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hank wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am Aqua certainly didn't fire Gillis to rebuild. And he certainly DID NOT hire Torts with a rich 5 year contract to rebuild.

Then he didn't hire Linden the goodwill ambassador to fire Torts with 4 years remaining after a disastrous year to rebuild. And he wouldn't have hired ANY management team to rebuild because the family always has playoff revenues in their sights. Anyone really think that any incoming GM would say "Nah, Francesco, I'm going to do what's good for you and blow this thing up" after he got hired? Seriously?

Do you get hired for a job, then show up to do the exact opposite of the job description?

Then after the terrible Canuck Luck where a weak team managed to eke into the playoffs only to be dusted by the Flames, Aqua was probably very disappointed but still didn't outwardly support a rebuild.

It was only until recently (after ousting Linden) that you heard the horse actually say to the supporters that they like their youth and need to preach patience... the same owner who didn't like Trev's message about patience.

So, if you looked at the real direction (the Aquas)...
That the Little Eagles, or possibly Linden, are the real authors of the "re-tool on the fly" folly is widely accepted here, (except, perhaps, by those who maintain that rebuild actually started with Benning's arrival), but do we have any evidence to support that idea? Is it not just as likely that Benning, with a canny sense of what his prospective employers wanted to hear, told them in his interview "Don't listen to those other guys; you don't have to do a rebuild. I can get this team back into contention next year with a few off-season moves" ?
Hank wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am RE: Winnipeg. That is an incredible record of successful 1st round picks which is definitely not the norm or league average. Something to try to model but who's to say anyone can model that? You have to be both good and lucky... and that's not the Canucks ;)
Overall, drafting 18 year-olds is tricky and fraught with uncertainty, but in the top 10 positions, seemingly less so. Certainly, some teams manage to wiff, but even notoriously poor drafter Mike Gillis got it right in his only attempt. If Winnipeg can manage it consistently, then it would seem to be within the ability of a hockey management genius.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am It would be nice to get a first overall pick, but I wouldn't sweat it if we don't get one. Look through the list; there's a ton of guys drafted first who never got near a Stanley Cup final round.
I feel like Petey is a first overall talent. Elmer’s just got to slash the deadweight off the roster and add picks and prospects. And he can’t stub his toe in the top 10 anymore. Look at the Jets. Chevy hasn’t had a first round flop in 8 or 9 years. They just keep drafting quality players.
Yeah the Jets had a rough first SIX years with one playoff appearance losing 1st round.

Then lucked out in the 2016 draft lotto (Canucks had 11.5% to pick 1st, Jets 7.5% they were 6th last in the league [ironically where the Canucks currently are] ) - they won the 2nd overall - moving up to draft Patrik Laine - a year later they go on a superb playoff run to lose to Vegas in conference finals.

2016 draft lotto odds: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016 ... puljujarvi
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jets lucked out? I’d say the Flames lucked out in the 2016 draft. The Jets just have an excellent scouting staff. Full stop.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am Jets lucked out? I’d say the Flames lucked out in the 2016 draft. The Jets just have an excellent scouting staff. Full stop.
BIG TIME LUCKED OUT................went from 6th overall to 2nd overall?? hella lucky, fortunato!

Laine scored 36 goals in his rookie year, to 44 goals next, even a slump year he's on pace for 37 goals, a superstar sniper game changer.

compared to Tkachuk 14 goals rookie year, 24 goals next, on pace for 32 this year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:11 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am Jets lucked out? I’d say the Flames lucked out in the 2016 draft. The Jets just have an excellent scouting staff. Full stop.
BIG TIME LUCKED OUT................went from 6th overall to 2nd overall?? hella lucky, fortunato!

Laine scored 36 goals in his rookie year, to 44 goals next, even a slump year he's on pace for 37 goals, a superstar sniper game changer.

compared to Tkachuk 14 goals rookie year, 24 goals next, on pace for 32 this year.
I can see why you would just focus on goals

Tkachuk has a better ppg average and is a much better two way player
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Yup, scoring goals in the NHL is helluva lot more harder to do than getting assists.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Yup, scoring goals in the NHL is helluva lot more harder to do than getting assists.
So Henrik and Joe Thornton were lesser players than say Dany Heatley and Johnathan Cheechoo.

Spoken like a tether ball star. Team sports clearly not your thing I guess
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All of sudden you care for assists? only when it fits your narrative I guess.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm All of sudden you care for assists? only when it fits your narrative I guess.
So Henrik was a bum? Gretzky his last years was a scrub?

Spoken like a guy with little to no experience in team sports :lol:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm All of sudden you care for assists? only when it fits your narrative I guess.
So Henrik was a bum? Gretzky his last years was a scrub?

Spoken like a guy with little to no experience in team sports :lol:
Yeah because those guys are great comparisons to Tkachuk lol and his 35, 25, 36 assists.

I'm not hating on Matthew, but Laine is better than Tkachuk is my point.

MT in 4 playoff games was held scoreless.
While Laine had 12pts in 17 playoff games.
+ Laine is a smidgen younger than MT by 4 months.

I know you love yourself some Tkachuk but ya shouldn't try to compare him to Patrik Laine.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Alone is a better goal scorer than Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is a better player.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 pm Alone is a better goal scorer than Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is a better player.
Yes

I’d also take Dubois over Laine.