Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Total votes: 0

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by 5thhorseman »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am SKYO thinks these GM’s should get 4 or 5 chances to get the coach right.
Is there even such a thing? Eventually every coach gets old or tuned out, which is why they get recirculated around the league. It wasn't because they were never the the right coach. It's because they weren't right anymore, for this group of players.

The current Canucks group of players need a veteran coach now to take them to the next level. Travis may have been the right coach at one time, but he isn't anymore.
Arbour
AHL Prospect

Post by Arbour »

How many years now have the Canucks had the same passive penalty kill and static power play. At one time I thought Newell Brown was to blame, but it has become apparent that Green seems to be content with a generally stationary four man box on the pk with little or no pressure on the point men or outside shooters. That might have been fine in the wooden stick era but now every half pint with a composite stick can crank it and when you're 10 feet away from the shooter it's going to hurt/injure the pkiller, not to mention the time it gives them to set a play up.

As for the power play, the one timer is almost always from the right hand side, with everyone standing around waiting for the result. What happened to plays down low, or from behind the net like the Sedins used to do with Burrows darting in front for the shot? When Green took over Henrik occupied the right side and the puck would be worked around to him and then back to Edler who would then bounce it off someones shin pads. Rinse and repeat, with Pettersson now in Henrik's position with every video coach in the league knowing the set up, and options open to Pettersson. We have players who can stick handle and skate, why not allow for some creativity instead of the same old same old.

As for five on five play, there is a lot of skating and not much else. There seems to be a lack of cohesiveness, which could be the result of the number of new players, plus a long road trip to start the season, but it is fast becoming an issue that needs to be addressed. Other than the commitment to an up tempo game does the coaching staff have any systems in place, and if on any given night they're not working the ability to make the necessary adjustments?

It is almost trite to say it but what's the identity of this team? It seems that under Green that has been the perennial question. I don't think Green is a terrible coach, but at the same time this team is not moving forward and it appears more and more that Green is unable to address some pretty obvious shortcomings, and I don't think it's a personnel problem. It may be he is in over his head at this time in his career, and guiding a rebuilding team was too much too ask of a rookie NHL coach.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

^Good to see you in here with your insight, Al :thumbs:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Arbour wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:04 pm It is almost trite to say it but what's the identity of this team? It seems that under Green that has been the perennial question. I don't think Green is a terrible coach, but at the same time this team is not moving forward and it appears more and more that Green is unable to address some pretty obvious shortcomings, and I don't think it's a personnel problem. It may be he is in over his head at this time in his career, and guiding a rebuilding team was too much too ask of a rookie NHL coach.
All good points above - but as for Green and the 'identity' of the team, I think we had one until this year - we were a 'rebuilding team', and this is the first year most people consider the rebuild complete and ready to move forward.

I've never been a big Green fan, but felt he might have been doing a good job with the kids and brought them along. Sure he had a ton of talent to work with, but developing 3 consecutive Calder candidates is part of his doing. The team is at the point now, where we don't need a coach to develop players (assuming that was Green's strength), and instead the coach needs to be doing what he to make the team as a whole succeed.

That's where systems and new approaches and preparing for games gets more important. This team needs to be led now, by someone who can find the strengths of each player and make their role known - this should lead to a team 'identity'.

Our current power play man advantage time is embarrassing. We could do wonders with the skill that's out there, but nope! Ain't gonna happen while Green's in charge - we've seen it for too long. The rest of the play is just as stale. I wouldn't be surprised if the players are bored and ready for a change behind the bench.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm I remember the days when fans were clamouring for WD to be fired before we lost Green to some other team. Green was the second coming.
with Blobby Brown leading the pitchfork brigade.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:17 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm I remember the days when fans were clamouring for WD to be fired before we lost Green to some other team. Green was the second coming.
with Blobby Brown leading the pitchfork brigade.
And I see he hasn’t landed another NHL head coaching job. He’s back where he belongs. He can polish off his ‘World’s Greatest Coach’ coffee mug and show it off to the youngsters. The guy was amateur hour. I give Green a bit longer but sooner or later there needs to be results. Then again this is year 8 of Benning being on the job with very meagre results, so what the hell do I know?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:48 pm .....so what the hell do I know?
Blob....you're far to pro to leave yourself open like that.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

donlever wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:56 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:48 pm .....so what the hell do I know?
Blob....you're far to pro to leave yourself open like that.
Lol it’s all good. I expect a barrage of drivel starting any minute now. If I said Desjardins was an excellent coach, the usual suspects (in this care the miserable old miner) would say he sucked just to argue.

Frankie has set the bar pretty low here lately. Green may last the duration of his contract regardless of where they finish in the standings. The only thing Frankie doesn’t like is back talk.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 pm Canucks gotta snatch up Julien before another team does.
Like Vin and Mëds said, they'd have to re-tool a decent portion of the lineup, and they're not exactly overflowing with those types of players in Abby.
While I can't say with 100% certainty in Vin's case, I am pretty sure neither of us were saying that was a reason NOT to fire and hire someone else.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Mëds wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 pm Canucks gotta snatch up Julien before another team does.
Like Vin and Mëds said, they'd have to re-tool a decent portion of the lineup, and they're not exactly overflowing with those types of players in Abby.
While I can't say with 100% certainty in Vin's case, I am pretty sure neither of us were saying that was a reason NOT to fire and hire someone else.
Right, I interpreted your posts as it's something to keep in consideration with Julien as a candidate.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 pm
Right, I interpreted your posts as it's something to keep in consideration with Julien as a candidate.
A look at the roster and there's only a few names I think would be problematic. We have too many midgets for sure, like 7 or 8 guys that are 5'10" or smaller. Hughes, Motte, Garland, and Hoglander, can stay. The rest would need to be replaced with bigger, scrappier, harder, players. Most of our top-6 fit.....honestly the only guys that I see not being a players that could thrive under a Julien-type system would be Pettersson and maybe Boeser. The former is too pouty and the latter maybe a bit too casual. But both might actually do well with that type of coach.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am Hartley was in Calgary before the GM got there so he inherited him. And Bill Peters is a bit of a unique situation. So Treliving had Gulatzan, the interim fella and now Sutter. SKYO thinks these GM’s should get 4 or 5 chances to get the coach right. Doesn’t usually happen like that especially when your team is 2/7 in playoff appearances and stumbling out of the gate in year 8.
Yotes 3rd
Sharks 3rd
Preds 3rd
Blues 3rd
Canes 3rd
CBJ 3rd
Islanders 3rd
Habs 3rd
NYR 3rd
Pens 3rd
Ducks 4th
Flames 4th
Kings 4th
Stars 4th
Wild 4th
Sabres 4th
Flyers 4th
TML 4th
Caps 4th
Oilers 5th
Sens 5th

These teams since 2013/14 are onto their 3rd head coach+, Benning should be able to get another coach.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Mëds wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:09 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 pm
A look at the roster and there's only a few names I think would be problematic. We have too many midgets for sure, like 7 or 8 guys that are 5'10" or smaller. Hughes, Motte, Garland, and Hoglander, can stay. The rest would need to be replaced with bigger, scrappier, harder, players. Most of our top-6 fit.....honestly the only guys that I see not being a players that could thrive under a Julien-type system would be Pettersson and maybe Boeser. The former is too pouty and the latter maybe a bit too casual. But both might actually do well with that type of coach.
No doubt and in keeping those four, it's even more critical they have a few significantly larger, tougher players to balance thing out and a 6'8" Myers or a 6'4" Chiasson or Bailey just doesn't cut it. The way they've constructed the team is baffling to me and as you hint at in referencing a Julien-type system, the replacing of some players needs to occur regardless of who the next coach is.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:35 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 am Hartley was in Calgary before the GM got there so he inherited him. And Bill Peters is a bit of a unique situation. So Treliving had Gulatzan, the interim fella and now Sutter. SKYO thinks these GM’s should get 4 or 5 chances to get the coach right. Doesn’t usually happen like that especially when your team is 2/7 in playoff appearances and stumbling out of the gate in year 8.
Yotes 3rd
Sharks 3rd
Preds 3rd
Blues 3rd
Canes 3rd
CBJ 3rd
Islanders 3rd
Habs 3rd
NYR 3rd
Pens 3rd
Ducks 4th
Flames 4th
Kings 4th
Stars 4th
Wild 4th
Sabres 4th
Flyers 4th
TML 4th
Caps 4th
Oilers 5th
Sens 5th

These teams since 2013/14 are onto their 3rd head coach+, Benning should be able to get another coach.
Do all those teams have the same GM over that time period? Are all of those teams 2/7 in playoff appearances? Has any of those GM’s kept his gig after missing the post season so frequently?
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Post by Zedlee »

Yes. Same with Benning (he should have been gone a long time ago).

How Acquilini can stick with Benning this long is just beyond me. "Jim has a plan" supposedly. What a friggin mess...