Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm Evidently, Tocchet didn't get the memo from Butthead and Old Fart, although he can defend himself saying he's trying to build a winning culture.
The Old Fart said himself at the Tocchet-hiring press conference that Tocc's job is to win games.

Having said that, I'd personally like to see the top players' ice time reduced somewhat...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm
Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:10 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:28 am I don't see it as wringing out every last drop from his top players as much as developing his emerging talent into legitimate top level players. We all knew QH and EP were going to be good but Tocchet has helped these kids take a giant leap forward.

The season is done but having these guys develop to this level is only going to help them moving forward.
But 30 fuckin' minutes? That's an invitation to problems.
Evidently, Tocchet didn't get the memo from Butthead and Old Fart, although he can defend himself saying he's trying to build a winning culture. Question is, does that 'winning culture' include risking injury due to physical fatigue. The players will never say 'no' to more minutes - it's just how they're wired, like dogs won't stop fetching until they're exhausted.

As for guys like Zubov eating half the game's ice-time, it was a different era. Guys were tugging and holding up forecheckers like crazy in that day. Besides, anybody touching Zubov would get their head caved in by the likes of Hatcher. Nowadays, forecheckers are coming in like cruise missiles. Hughes is as slippery as they get, but even he has to eat boards sometimes and when he gets smacked, who's going to step up and make anyone think twice before doing it again?
Schenn?

Oh right….nvm.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Looks like OEL is officially out for the rest of the year. Another blow to team tank, and perhaps a step out from the Bedard sweepstakes.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm Looks like OEL is officially out for the rest of the year. Another blow to team tank, and perhaps a step out from the Bedard sweepstakes.
The question in the off season is if he will ever wear the puking whale again?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm Looks like OEL is officially out for the rest of the year. Another blow to team tank, and perhaps a step out from the Bedard sweepstakes.
Fingers listen, OEL is here for awhile, accept it and be done with your moans. His buyout ain’t worth the financial pain right now, plus I imagine the Sedins and Ricky will be putting him through a rigorous off season training program that would make Rocky Balboa proud
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Quinn Hughes has 15 more assists than any other defenseman since he stepped into the NHL.

• Quinn Hughes - 208
• Adam Fox - 193
• Roman Josi - 189
• Victor Hedman - 182
• Cale Makar - 177

Give Quinn the Norris now ffs, why wait! I wonder where Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson are on this list?

BenningBuilt
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:07 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm
Fingers listen, OEL is here for awhile, accept it and be done with your moans. His buyout ain’t worth the financial pain right now, plus I imagine the Sedins and Ricky will be putting him through a rigorous off season training program that would make Rocky Balboa proud
If the rumours about OEL not liking Tocchet are true there's a chance he requests a trade and waives his NMC. I could definitely see OEL being a sought after commodity if the Canucks were to retain say $1.75M.....which might be worth it to Vancouver. $1.75M of dead cap might be fairly meaningless in a couple seasons if the cap increases towards $90M.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:48 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:07 pm Fingers listen, OEL is here for awhile, accept it and be done with your moans. His buyout ain’t worth the financial pain right now, plus I imagine the Sedins and Ricky will be putting him through a rigorous off season training program that would make Rocky Balboa proud
If the rumours about OEL not liking Tocchet are true there's a chance he requests a trade and waives his NMC. I could definitely see OEL being a sought after commodity if the Canucks were to retain say $1.75M.....which might be worth it to Vancouver. $1.75M of dead cap might be fairly meaningless in a couple seasons if the cap increases towards $90M.
Tocchet has OEL having a strong bounce back season next year.

"Tocchet talked after practice about OEL. He doesn’t expect him to return to the Canucks lineup this season."

Team has no choice really except try to get OEL's value back up, buyout is too killer to the cap, retaining ain't happenin', also OEL has a NMC.

So the team has to learn to live with it and try to make it work one or another, at least Tocchet knows his style.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:42 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:48 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:07 pm Fingers listen, OEL is here for awhile, accept it and be done with your moans. His buyout ain’t worth the financial pain right now, plus I imagine the Sedins and Ricky will be putting him through a rigorous off season training program that would make Rocky Balboa proud
Tocchet has OEL having a strong bounce back season next year.

"Tocchet talked after practice about OEL. He doesn’t expect him to return to the Canucks lineup this season."

Team has no choice really except try to get OEL's value back up, buyout is too killer to the cap, retaining ain't happenin', also OEL has a NMC.

So the team has to learn to live with it and try to make it work one or another, at least Tocchet knows his style.
Yeah, I know he has a NMC. That’s why I said he might waive it and REQUEST a trade IF it’s true that HE doesn’t like Tocchet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sounds like Tocchet is a fan of OEL. Mëds who are your sources? Al Strachan?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 am Sounds like Tocchet is a fan of OEL. Mëds who are your sources? Al Strachan?
Tocchet's put out his public position on OEL. His private position on the lad may be different, and given the optics of their relationship there's nothing to be gained by trashing OEL or damning him with faint praise in public at this point. The season's lost, and all management can sell is hope, so really what else was he going to say?

We don't really know how OEL feels these days about playing for Tocchet. They may have patched things up, and maybe it's different now that he's not a Captain. What we do (at least sort of) know is that OEL wasn't a fan of Tocchet when they were in Arizona, and partly why he was happy to move out of there (though I can imagine any number of reasons why a hockey player would want out of there).

In the big picture, no 'bounce-back' season will ever justify his cap hit unless he starts giving Hughes serious and close competition in the team scoring race while posting strong two-way stats. IMO, it's better for management to make life as miserable and torturous as possible for OEL so he asks for a trade or agrees to have his contract terminated. Having Tocchet as coach already primes the pump to do so.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What else is Tocchet supposed to say?

He better come in next year ready to play or they are going to make his life miserable so he will remove his NTC? But then if he is doing so shitty no teams will take him anyway.

Lastly, there is still the looming over the cap issue the team has to deal with and buying out OEL is one option.

#benningbuilt
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Canucks aren't buying out that contract. Why do people keep wanting an 8 year or whatever it is punishment?

Getting him to buy into the program is the best scenario. Dude has the skill to be an impact defenseman for the rest of his contract so just let this coaching staff do their magic.

Look how far they've already come with the chaos giraffe...if they can calm that disaster down then surely they can solve the OEL riddle
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Been saying it since Xmas.. ‘Team Tank’ is a myth. We will draft between 6-10, have somewhere around a 5% chance… except the league will never allow Vancouver to get 1st OA pick..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:56 am The Canucks aren't buying out that contract. Why do people keep wanting an 8 year or whatever it is punishment?
Exactly - here's the cap hit we'd be stuck with - may as well just pay the guy, or work a trade and retain a little.

2023-24 $146,667
2024-25 $2,346,667
2025-26 $4,766,667
2026-27 $4,766,667
2027-28 $2,126,667
2028-29 $2,126,667
2029-30 $2,126,667
2030-31 $2,126,667

Now, as for the Giraffe.... I see one more year of him before a buyout

2023-24 $5,333,334
2024-25 $333,334
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."