2023 Draft Class

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2023 Draft Class

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:45 pm 12 - Canadians
5 - Europeans
2 - Americans (Turcotte and Galchenyuk)

The odds are saying to draft Americans in the top 5 and to stay away from drafting Canadians top 5
So if we get a top 5 pick outside 1st OA:

C/LW Leo Carlsson, RW Michkov, C Will Smith (USA), C Dalibor Dvorsky.

as Fantilli and Benson are Canadian.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 pm
5 - Europeans

The odds are saying to draft Americans in the top 5 and to stay away from drafting Canadians top 5

I was hoping this post would spring Doyle back into action
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 am
5 - Europeans

Nothing is working. Has Doyle found Jesus or something?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:22 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 am
5 - Europeans

Nothing is working. Has Doyle found Jesus or something?
I know, I’ve tried. He may have found Buddha and taken up Yoga and Reiki
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I had to go see why Blob is absent.

Yikes....that's a little harsh. Maybe someone can reach out to him and smooth things over? It seems to have gone a little far
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:50 am I had to go see why Blob is absent.

Yikes....that's a little harsh. Maybe someone can reach out to him and smooth things over? It seems to have gone a little far
Where’d you go see?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If indeed we get the Isles pick in the teens this draft, the Canucks should target 17yr old, turning 18 in April, 6'2" 192bs RHD Lukas Dragicevic, remember the name.

Was picked 4th overall in the bantam draft.

His pops played WHL/University hockey, was a tough guy, PIM leader is now Delta Hockey Academy coach, whereas Lukas is a skilled QB type, played forward a lot up until 3 years ago transitioning to D, kinda like a Brent Burns type.

Was one of the youngest players for Team Canada U18's WJC, in 4 games scored a goal and got 2 assists.

Currently has 55pts in 44 games.
“He has shown he can create offense with his speed and stick handling,” Tri-City coach Stu Barnes said. “He is trying to get better in his own end. He has a lot of passion for the game. He’s a good kid who plays hard and loves to be at the rink.”

Dragicevic has turned a few heads over the past 10 games. He was listed as a B-ranked skater in the October NHL Central Scouting preliminary list for the 2023 NHL Draft, but was upgraded to the A list on Nov. 21.

Those receiving an A ranking are considered a potential first-round NHL draft pick, while B-ranked skaters are considered a potential second-or-third-round selection.
https://amshockey.com/article/a-touch-o ... h-20-games
https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-nhl-draft ... -337843772

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Will Smith and Zach Benson are the consensus next 2 to go after the top four. If we can stay around 5 or 6 we are getting a helluva prospect. Benson is 2nd behind Bedard in the WHL scoring.

Benson scouting report. His even strength numbers are impressive and telling

Displaying a high IQ and constantly pushing the pace of play, Benson’s dynamic and high octane play with the puck constantly gets you out of your seat. He’s not the fastest skater, but he makes that up with his relentless attack and strong work ethic when on the attack to get the inside edge engaging in battles. He’s extremely deceptive with his movements and extremely skilled when he has possession of the puck. Even without the puck, Benson is buzzing and constantly making an impact by pressuring the opposition. Among players in their draft year minus one season, Benson had the second-best even strength primary point per game rate of 0.65, only behind Bedard.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If the Canucks are picking for example 6th and 13th it’s quite conceivable we are picking 2 forwards with the two picks as the 2023 draft class is a horrible class for defencemen, that is if we are picking the best player available. The top 10 pick (our pick) will for sure be a forward as there is no D getting rankings in the top 10. Sandin Pellika the RS d-man from Sweden seems to consistently be the highest ranked D-man of all the lists. He hovers in that mid teens area, 15th overall. It’s quite conceivable we land him with the NYI pick but the kid is puny - 5’10 180 lbs. The Russian kid Simashev is consistently ranked 2nd after Sandin Pellika in the high teens. He’s a LS D-man but has some size - 6’-4” 200 lbs. if the NYI pick is around 13th I believe we are picking a forward, if it’s between 15th and 20th I believe we are picking one of Sandin Pellika or Simashev. I think the top 14 picks will all be forwards, that’s how deep and good the forwards are in this class along with how not so good the D-men are in this class

I hope Allvin doesn’t get all Sweden again and pick Sandin Pellika not because he was the best player available but because he’s a d-man (we need D prospects) and he’s Swedish but the kid is smaller than Rathbone and do we need another Rathbone on the farm?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

no more shrimps. we are full of them already.

actually watch the playoffs this year. That game is still crash and bang and heavy hockey. We cant compete in that category yet.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:04 am no more shrimps. we are full of them already.

actually watch the playoffs this year. That game is still crash and bang and heavy hockey. We cant compete in that category yet.
There’s only 4 big bodies expected to go top 15

Fantilli
Carlsson
Dvorsky
Barlow

The rest are very talented small guys
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

then we go off the track.

we are full of forwards. And we have seen they They don't trade for other positions well (example Horvat and lack of Miller return offers last year) as some seem to think.

We have to draft for position. We NEED defensive prospects, and good ones, now, because they generally take longer to develop.

if the 'top 14' BPA's are forwards, it doesn't matter what draft pick we get (between 4 and 10) if we want that 15th guy who is a defenseman or goalie prospect.

At this point, we are pretty much guaranteed a roll of the dice at Bedard. (I still maintain that we will never win, and will fall 2 spots in the draft). If the next 13 Best guys available are all forwards, then our draft position kinda doesn't matter for this draft anymore.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Last time we drafted for position didn't we get Juolevi?
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:06 am Last time we drafted for position didn't we get Juolevi?
It is not that simple, regardless of what player you pick you have to do your homework. They normally interview projected 1st rounders and do their due diligence in making their selections. If that is done right picking by position can work well.

Last year they picked BPA and got what is looking to be a dud, luckily he is only 18 so lots of time to develop.

And who determines BPA? There is so much out there with TSN/SportsNet/The Athletic etc. and their so called "pro scouts" and they come up with their criteria on who is slated to go where. Then you have teams who have their own rankings and pick who they think is better.

Would be interesting to do a 5 - 10 year comparison of the top media who put out their rankings before the draft, then compare them to where they were drafted and then compare them 3 to 10 years later and see how it all comes together.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 am then we go off the track.

we are full of forwards. And we have seen they They don't trade for other positions well (example Horvat and lack of Miller return offers last year) as some seem to think.

We have to draft for position. We NEED defensive prospects, and good ones, now, because they generally take longer to develop.

if the 'top 14' BPA's are forwards, it doesn't matter what draft pick we get (between 4 and 10) if we want that 15th guy who is a defenseman or goalie prospect.

At this point, we are pretty much guaranteed a roll of the dice at Bedard. (I still maintain that we will never win, and will fall 2 spots in the draft). If the next 13 Best guys available are all forwards, then our draft position kinda doesn't matter for this draft anymore.
The Canucks look to be drafting mid top 10 with their pick at this point, there is not a defenceman in this class that is getting ratings anywhere near that high, so if you are drafting a D-man 6th overall that would be considered a colossal laughable mistake. Most all the lists out there have Will Smith and Zach Benson 5 and 6, you don’t pass on either of those two if picking there. Benson is in that Marner/Brayden Point category of similar players to him. Carlsson and Fantilli (big guys) will be going 2nd and 3rd, leaving Dvorsky as the next big guy available or Colby Barlow who is averaging out on all the lists between 9th and 15th

Just so you know Swedish D-man Sandin Pellika is considered the best D-man in this class m, he is 5’-10” 180 lbs. next up is Russian Simashev who is getting ranked late teens, he’s 6’-4” 200 lbs.

With your obsession with beastly men with Girth and D-men maybe Simashev is your guy with NYI’s pick?