Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:30 am Fuck him.

He left for what he thought would be greener pastures and fucked over management in the process.
So did the best Canuck in history Pavel Bure (although the team started it with the whole chickenshit chiseling of his lockout bonus)
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mark Messier scored 158 points in Vancouver over three years. Lois Eriksson scored 90 points in five years here. He had an entire season where he recorded three hits.

I don’t like Messier but the Air Thief I cannot stand. What a fucking crook.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ryan Miller was a great transitional signing while waiting for Markstrom to develop. Enough can’t be said about this key signing. You need goalies, see Kenny Holland Edmonton Oilers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I don't know about Kesler, the way he left was pretty bad, right down to narrowing his list of teams and pinning the team to the wall at the end. Thumbs down.

In Bure's case, there was a litany of things the Canucks could have handled better, the least of which was when they tried to pull the old switcheroo on his extension, changing it from U.S. dollars to Canadian. One of the best goalscorers in NHL history and they bung the situation up just as they did when they had Gretzky in the bag. I had no issue with Bure.

Re: Messier, he's probably the most underappreciated player in team history solely on the basis of his role in running Linden out of town, which resulted in an incredible trade tree netting the Canucks 3 HOFers. No Messier, no WCE era or Sedinery.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am Ryan Miller was a great transitional signing while waiting for Markstrom to develop. Enough can’t be said about this key signing. You need goalies, see Kenny Holland Edmonton Oilers
I agree. I’d put him up there with other key free agent signings like Jay Beagle,Tim Schaller, Luca Sbisa, Michael Del Zotto, Antoine Roussel, Braden Holtby and Travis Hamonic, Matt Bartowski, Tucker Poolman and of course Lois.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:46 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am Ryan Miller was a great transitional signing while waiting for Markstrom to develop. Enough can’t be said about this key signing. You need goalies, see Kenny Holland Edmonton Oilers
I agree. I’d put him up there with other key free agent signings like Jay Beagle,Tim Schaller, Luca Sbisa, Michael Del Zotto, Antoine Roussel, Braden Holtby and Travis Hamonic, Matt Bartowski, Tucker Poolman and of course Lois.
Oh I forgot you wanted to tank during this phase and not try to win. It baffles the mind how one can be offended by the 3 years of Miller, you know you do have try to ice a somewhat competitive team but unfortunately for Benning the previous idiotic GM decided to jettison out not just one of our premier goalies (Schneider) but two (Luongo) and decided to replace that with garbage and an undeveloped goalie prospect- Markstrom. This while trying to win the Stanley Cup. Go figure.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Kesler also signed long term here for less than league value in an effort to promote a winning team and culture.

He was, as Cuz said, a warrior for us and sacrificed heart, soul and body to win.

He was also an asshole.

What more do we want from the guy ffs?

Be it that Trevor Linden had Keslers nuts who knows what he may have accomplished.

Now, to preface this I will admit to the fact that I was paying zero attention when Kelser left and to this day don't know the whole story.

But.

These guys have limited earning windows and I'm never going to chastise a guy for doing what he feels is best for he and his family.

Especially if he's already given back to the team monetarily.

I presume he felt limiting his window of destinations, which assumingly was a contractual right at the time, which the team had a hand in signing off on as well, was his payback for what he'd given over his years of service.

I get that.

I also presume that anyone here, given a similar opportunity in their line of work, might just have done the same thing.

Kelser should retire as a Canuck and likely should have his number denoted beside McLean and whomever else is up there on our ring of honour (such as it is).
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:23 am He was also an asshole.
Total asshole!

(so how can you not love the guy)

True, the way he left was nasty.

And don't forget my pal Clarkie got him to sign that offer-sheet once upon a time.

But in between, heart and soul Canuck right there, bled blue and green.

He took a lot of flack from the union for that team-friendly contract

... and then suggesting his teammates to do the same.

Odd duck for sure, but I'll always love him for all he did for our team on the ice...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I don't begrudge a guy for wanting to get paid, I never had an issue with him signing the offer sheet with the Flyers for example, or wanting to move to a contender when a team's entering into a rebuilding phase, as the Canucks should have been at the time, it's a matter of the "how".

I can see the ROH going either way, he's a polarizing figure who did more than his share for the team, but I'm not exactly sold on the idea.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Two sides to every story as you well know Curm.

...and we only hear the half of it (if that) I am sure.

Apparently he gave Gillis a list of 7 teams (Chicago, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Detroit, Anaheim and the Rangers) and a deadline deal was in place with the Penguins that Aquilini nixed last minute.

So Ryan felt he had provided the team ample raw material to make a deal and was then put in a shitty spot by ownership so when Benning came in and told him he would start working with those 7 labs Kes said nope, sorry, it's down to 2 now, the Ducks and Hawks.

He insists it wasn't a fuck you to fans and team but rather an indication of 2 teams he liked the path they were on and that's who he wanted to play for.

Which was his contractual right.

The team gave him a NTC when he signed his deal, which he gave them a discount on, which they too have to live by.

He had full autonomy to exercise his rights of refusal and did.

This is a non-story fans get all emotional and butt hurt over when a player excercises negotiated clauses the team provided him.

We need to get over it and thank him for years of giving us all he had to win, (the guy has a fucked hip and will suffer for life due to what he gave the game).....

.....this is ALL he owes us as fans.
Last edited by donlever on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis had an offer to Pittsburgh that involved Sutter, Pouliot for Kesler. Pittsburgh turned it down
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I read and heard from Kelsers mouth exactly the opposite.

That FA nixed the deal.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Gillis loved Sutter, much, much more than Jimbro did.

Thoughts Blob?
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm Gillis loved Sutter, much, much more than Jimbro did.

Thoughts Blob?
:scowl:

Enabler.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Gillis followed the sensible philosophy and deamericanized the Canucks when Kesler was at the top of his game he would have gotten a much better haul. And that’s why JT should be traded before the season starts.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.