Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 22-23

Post by Carl Yagro »

NYR is not qualifying Ty Ronning.

We should bring the local boy home. Will at least sell some tix in Abby. Probably will never be in the bigs.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm Man, if you watch Ian Clark's coaching session with Demko, I'm sure he can work miracles with Silovs.

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1541900294442721280

DiPietro is just too tiny and needs to rely too much on quickness and reflexes. Would have made a decent tendy in the 80s maybe. If they can even get a warm body back for Abby, it's a win.
That’s a really cool vid. Clarke is such an integral part of the coaching staff.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm DiPietro is just too tiny and needs to rely too much on quickness and reflexes.
Mikey D does look a bit small between the pipes. I noticed that Mikey D and Halak are pretty much the same size, yet Halak looks way bigger and seems to cover much more of the net. Not sure if Mikey needs to get bigger equipment or something. Maybe he's using the same gear from juniors.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess if he’s 6ft he’s probably actually 5 ft 9- cc math. The kid is 200 lbs. I still think he’s a player- battles like hell. He had a meh year after an asinine decision to let him rot on the taxi squad for a year. Saros is 5ft 11, Quick is 6ft … pretty good goalies.

I wonder if he has lawn couches and likes pizza dipping sauce :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:50 am
:lol:

This would account for your inexplicable sympathy for a declining asset
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:11 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:50 am
:lol:

This would account for your inexplicable sympathy for a declining asset
Kid had two good years in the AHL and then was inexplicably given 4 games of playing time in a crucial development season. But sure….my “inexplicable sympathy”. I’m not saying the guy will be a star but he had a pretty stellar junior career and a good start to his pro career before getting boned in the ass. The Blues got to play their goalies during the shared farm team season while the Canucks prospect got to sit and eat popcorn. It made no sense.

He is a declining asset. I already said they should take a 3rd and run. Hell I’d take a 4th.

Probably one of your better posts recently Lizzy :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One of Silvos, Dipietro or Martin will be backing up Demko next season. The front runner of course is Martin. And since Doc has clarified that Dipietro does not require waivers why not keep him and let Silvos and him fight it out in Abbotsford? If he regains his development path he becomes a more valuable asset next year and regardless he will not be a FA so we will still own his rights.

I was assuming he would require waivers which is why I thought trading him for anything was worth it but since that's not the case perhaps another year is what he needs before we give up on him. He is still quite young. In goalie years he's like 12 :mrgreen:

I have never believed he will be a good starter in the NHL. But as Blob points out he has been stellar at every stop along his career. And I agree with Blob, the team screwed his development making him sit for the year. It was dumb.
The only HW the Canucks need
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I'm sure mgmt. had a discussion with Clark regarding the goalie pipeline now, and in the future - as he is signed for 4 more years with Van if I'm not mistaken.

DiPietro doesn't seem like a Clark-type goalie, he has stated previously as wanting "length" in a goalie as an important asset etc. Basically describes Lou and Demko physically. Likely sees himself more able to work Silvos into a NHLer than DiPietro I'd think.

Edit:
Nope totally wrong, found the article with his quotes. Describes "length" as useable - not just being big, but being flexible enough and battle hard enough to use the size.

Clark on long goalies (and the new fin): Goalie stuff
Last edited by JelloPuddingPop on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they bring in a another journeyman goalie, they may as well trade Dipietro for whatever. It’d prefer that they bring in a first year prospect for the ECHL/injury recall guy, and split time in Abby between Dipietro and Silovs giving more games to whichever one plays better. He has had a lot of success at lower levels. He is trending down, but he might recover if he gets enough games even if he is a short goalie.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has signed defenceman Jack Rathbone to a one-way contract and agreed to terms on new two-way contracts with defenceman Noah Juulsen and forward William Lockwood.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... -334789414
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 am Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has signed defenceman Jack Rathbone to a one-way contract and agreed to terms on new two-way contracts with defenceman Noah Juulsen and forward William Lockwood.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... -334789414
Some more tidy work accomplished prior to the inevitable blockbuster. Noah a local kid who brought some experience to Abby.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vancouver Canucks announced today Mike Yeo and Trent Cull have been named Assistant Coaches with Vancouver.
Jeremy Colliton will take over as Head Coach of the Abbotsford Canucks, while Brad Shaw will be leaving the organization.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... -334792628
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

No issues with any of that.

That's a heap of coaching experience right there, much of it in the show.

Kicks the shit out of the Nolan Baumgartners of the world..
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

So... Bruce (Good Jolly Cop), Yeo (Bad Bald Cop), Cull (Bad Minor-Leauge Cop), King (Mall Cop).

No surprise about Shaw, especially since JR, Allvin and the chipmunks have constantly ripped on the defensive/zone exit strategy. Improving the personnel will probably fix this guys. Ragging on the coaches who can only do so much with systems isn't going to make much of a difference.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Don’t mind the change in Abbotsford. Don’t know anything about the new guy, but Cull didn’t seem to help prospects progress a whole lot. He probably won’t have a large voice with the big club with Yeo and Bruce around. I would have rather kept Shaw than Cull.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.