Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Trade Rumours & Armchair Pipe Dreams 20-21-22 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Arbour »

The only way Allvin should trade Miller to Boston is in a deal the includes McAvoy, and that ain't happening.

Unfortunately trading Miller at this time leaves a huge hole at centre, with nothing in the system at this time to replace the loss. He's still got a year left on his contract, wait until the TD in 2023, and if re-upping is too costly in respect to term or dollars deal him then. The downside is more of an upside, if the Canucks are in the playoffs and Miller is playing well you keep him.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year, more likely trade candidates at this time, keeping in mind you have to give something to get something, are Boeser and Halak, particularly if new management is looking for some cap cushion. In Boeser's case it might be prudent to wait for the draft, and go shopping for picks and prospects when the cap isn't so much an issue.

Motte's name keeps popping up, but absent a ridiculous over payment he is exactly the kind of player you want on your third or fourth line. However keeping him is certainly dependent on his contractual demands.

Poolman/Dickinson are going to get you Poolman/Dickinson in return. I suppose there value is best determined by draft picks and what is available within the organization to replace them, should they be traded for picks.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arbour wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am
Poolman/Dickinson are going to get you Poolman/Dickinson in return. I suppose there value is best determined by draft picks and what is available within the organization to replace them, should they be traded for picks.
Offloading their cap hits is the return. The problem is nobody wants to have those hits on their books after this season so they're likely stuck in Van except for us throwing in
If you need air...call it in
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 am Offloading their cap hits is the return. The problem is nobody wants to have those hits on their books after this season so they're likely stuck in Van except for us throwing in
I guess it boils down to how much is it worth to the organization to clear approx. $5 mil. Given Rutherford's statements about draft picks it's unlikely they will be used for any kind of sweetener. Maybe a deal centring around Halak to a team that needs a backup and one of Dickinson/Poolman? Of course like you said we're right back to the same old cap issues for the recipient.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Arbour wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 am Offloading their cap hits is the return. The problem is nobody wants to have those hits on their books after this season so they're likely stuck in Van except for us throwing in
I guess it boils down to how much is it worth to the organization to clear approx. $5 mil. Given Rutherford's statements about draft picks it's unlikely they will be used for any kind of sweetener. Maybe a deal centring around Halak to a team that needs a backup and one of Dickinson/Poolman? Of course like you said we're right back to the same old cap issues for the recipient.
This discussion really lays bare how short sighted the Canucks have been run in the Benning era. And that falls mostly on Aquilini.

6 months after trading for OEL the Canucks are now scrambling to find "cap space". Imagine if the Canucks had not made the OEL trade, and let the bad contracts simply expire. We would be going into the offseason with a tonne of cap space, our first round pick from 2021 and new management ready to make moves. Rutherford is now in charge and I'm happy about that, but it's going to take a while yet to clean up Benning's blunders.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zedlee wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am
This discussion really lays bare how short sighted the Canucks have been run in the Benning era. And that falls mostly on Aquilini.
The Aquas destroyed a good man in Benning. Under the right owner, The Genius is still on the scene.

Don’t mess with the Genius

BenningBuilt
“Throw a punch Horvat for fuck sakes. Trevor Linden all over again. Why can’t we ever have a hard nosed mean prick for a captain“ - Doyle
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Under the right owner he’d have been gassed years ago.
Eat my shorts
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 am So, let me draw you up a scenario - the Canucks are clearly out of the playoffs by the TDL, who we selling outside of the overtalked Miller situation? The usual suspects:

Motte
Halak
Pearson
Poolman

That’s all I got. Maybe Dickinson
Pearson has a NTC and Poolman and Dickinson are playing like minimum wage scrubs.
No problem for Benning to move out your fave players of all time, Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle and Roussel. :mrgreen:
Time to move some pieces to retool for 2024 contending.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah he committed to paying OEL for the next six years. No problem at all. :?
Eat my shorts
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:15 am Under the right owner he’d have been gassed years ago.
#benningbuilt
“Throw a punch Horvat for fuck sakes. Trevor Linden all over again. Why can’t we ever have a hard nosed mean prick for a captain“ - Doyle
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ask Pearson for his list after July 13th or whatever this year's date is. Never know if you don't turn over all the stones.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:15 am Under the right owner he’d have been gassed years ago.
#benningbuilt
Doyle is still triggered by the Genius Jim Benning

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:33 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 am
#benningbuilt
Doyle is still triggered by the Genius Jim Benning

:lol:
Doyle is beyond ecstatic that he’s no longer employed by the Vancouver Canucks :)
Eat my shorts
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Zedlee wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am

6 months after trading for OEL the Canucks are now scrambling to find "cap space". Imagine if the Canucks had not made the OEL trade, and let the bad contracts simply expire. We would be going into the offseason with a tonne of cap space, our first round pick from 2021 and new management ready to make moves. Rutherford is now in charge and I'm happy about that, but it's going to take a while yet to clean up Benning's blunders.
No Garland
No OEL.

if we had let the old contracts expire, this team looks much different than it does now with those 2 players and no first.

There is nothing wrong with paying OEL and garland 12 million. Its about a million too much total (Wish OEL was at 6.2) but thats a sight better than the 12 million we were paying for non roster goofs that are gone.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 am So, let me draw you up a scenario - the Canucks are clearly out of the playoffs by the TDL, who we selling outside of the overtalked Miller situation? The usual suspects:

Motte
Halak
Pearson
Poolman

That’s all I got. Maybe Dickinson
Pearson has a NTC and Poolman and Dickinson are playing like minimum wage scrubs.
Motte has proven to be the core of our 4th line. I'd prefer to keep him, and extend him for 3-4 years on a $1.3/yr contract.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

So, with all the talk of Miller to Boston, Why don't we set up a package of :
Miller and Myers
for
Brandon Carlo, Debrusk (on condition he signs here) and a 1st.
if we have to retain a million on Miller to make the cap hit work, then add a prospect to the return.

Then we sign E. Kane to a 1.125 million 2 year contract. If kane is a cancer, he hits Abbotsford on the next bus leaving the station. If he works out, he
helps replace JT production for the next 2 years.

Either way, Sign EKane to the above contract as I would rather see him in the lineup than Rempal or Dries.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.