Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10328
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
And I say why hope? Why not see if you can make a trade and let another team hope. :lol:
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:59 pm
Yeah. I'm mostly puzzled as why you said Detroit in response to a team with Swedish leadership that has won sweet fuck all.....

Later round matters because you would expect a top 5 overall pick to develop faster and be more effective than a guy picked 205 spots later in the bottom 10 of the last round. Zetterberg did not tear up the junior leagues, nor did he set the SHL on fire as a teenager. His first 3 seasons in the NHL were decent seasons and he produced at a pace consistent with a guy you would have slotted in anywhere from the 6-9 spot on the forward depth chart. I just think it's a poor comparison, but that's just my opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions and assholes).

There's also the attitude that Petey has displayed everywhere outside of the Edmonton playoff bubble.

I'll also point to his skating. He's got decent wheels in a straight line, but his edge work is average or below (again just my opinion) which makes his side/side cuts less effective in creating space on the fly.

I'm not advocating that we dump him for a draft pick.....if we trade him at this point it's a hockey trade where we find a player of similar age who also might benefit from a change of scenery. It's why I like the rumors that Barzal is struggling and may be in need of a new home too.

Barzal is faster, more dynamic, a playmaker who puts up points in a very very defense first system, which makes me think he could be much more productive on the scoreboard playing for Boudreau. His salary is also similar ($500K less actually) only his contract has a year less to run. He's a BC boy and I just think the fit is right. He's also only a year older.
Ok, we’ll I read the original question back asswards but teams with a history of Swedish leadership that haven’t won anything would be the Canucks, leaves under Sundin, Sens under Alfredsson. Is that more what you mean?

I mean we’ll likely see leaders from other countries more often now as the game grows globally.

As far as Petey goes, I’ve actually mentioned including him in a trade. As a GM however I wouldn’t actively shop him but target young talent and see what the demands are from the other team!

Barzal would be a great target IMO. I advocated a package of him and Dobson for a large package from our side! Petey, Brock, prospect/pick.
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
donlever
CC Legend
Posts: 5143
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by donlever »

...so its Gradins fault we lost in '82 and he's been cursing us with his Euro based Swedish scouting ever since.

Got it!
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3260
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
And I say why hope? Why not see if you can make a trade and let another team hope. :lol:
Because you can only trade a hope player for another hope player or a lesser (proven) player. Or draft picks if that's what you want.

I don't think anybody wants any of those options right now, because if Petey does not become our version of MacKinnon then we have no chance of being a contender with this group of players. It's back to a rebuild or tanking for picks.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 18916
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 pm
Barzal would be a great target IMO. I advocated a package of him and Dobson for a large package from our side! Petey, Brock, prospect/pick.
That's actually one that doesn't sound too shabby
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10328
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:59 pm
Yeah. I'm mostly puzzled as why you said Detroit in response to a team with Swedish leadership that has won sweet fuck all.....

Later round matters because you would expect a top 5 overall pick to develop faster and be more effective than a guy picked 205 spots later in the bottom 10 of the last round. Zetterberg did not tear up the junior leagues, nor did he set the SHL on fire as a teenager. His first 3 seasons in the NHL were decent seasons and he produced at a pace consistent with a guy you would have slotted in anywhere from the 6-9 spot on the forward depth chart. I just think it's a poor comparison, but that's just my opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions and assholes).

There's also the attitude that Petey has displayed everywhere outside of the Edmonton playoff bubble.

I'll also point to his skating. He's got decent wheels in a straight line, but his edge work is average or below (again just my opinion) which makes his side/side cuts less effective in creating space on the fly.

I'm not advocating that we dump him for a draft pick.....if we trade him at this point it's a hockey trade where we find a player of similar age who also might benefit from a change of scenery. It's why I like the rumors that Barzal is struggling and may be in need of a new home too.

Barzal is faster, more dynamic, a playmaker who puts up points in a very very defense first system, which makes me think he could be much more productive on the scoreboard playing for Boudreau. His salary is also similar ($500K less actually) only his contract has a year less to run. He's a BC boy and I just think the fit is right. He's also only a year older.
Ok, we’ll I read the original question back asswards but teams with a history of Swedish leadership that haven’t won anything would be the Canucks, leaves under Sundin, Sens under Alfredsson. Is that more what you mean?
Yup. Lol.
Barzal would be a great target IMO. I advocated a package of him and Dobson for a large package from our side! Petey, Brock, prospect/pick.
Yeah. I'm loathe to let Boeser go, not sure why. Just like the kid. As far as hockey moves go it's probably a good move, he's at the end of his 2nd contract now and we've yet to see the consistent 25-30 goal, 60+ point winger we thought we were getting.
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7640
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 pm
Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the league, but how many cases have there been where a young player has entered the league, done great, and then dropped off like EP40? I know some don't live up to their draft position from day one, but to win a Calder have 2 good years and then become invisible?

We're all used to seeing the 'sophomore slump', so I'm hoping this is a delayed slump, and not a more serious situation (mental problems, can't handle pressure, long term nagging injury, long covid, etc).
And I say why hope? Why not see if you can make a trade and let another team hope. :lol:
Because hope is central to being a hockey fan. Without hope we have nothing, only despair.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 18486
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Micky »

Per wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:25 am we have nothing, only despair.
Dumb Aaron Rome + Shaky Roberto Luongo. = what you said. :(
"evolution"
User avatar
donlever
CC Legend
Posts: 5143
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by donlever »

Yeah....many a player made a bunch of money laying out hits like that over the years.

98% of the fans in the league have stood up and cheered big hits akin to Romes forever and a day.

Canucks had to be physical.

Rome was trying to do his job.

I love Neely all vibed up like he never crushed anybodys soul in his career.




Lagongshow on the other hand....
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 25204
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Vin Tanner »

Neely, Wendel Clark and Rick Tocchet would all be suspended a dozen times over in today’s game. Ditto for Scott Stevens.
Worst GM since Jack Gordon is finally gone
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22796
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canuck fan - “he’s struggling? Trade his ass outta here! He’s a bum! He’s a beanpole! Can’t fight! He’s a Swede! Even though he sucks and is awful like FOREVER and will never get better we should be able get a premium for him. Why haven’t they traded him for Barzal and Dobson yet, ffs! Fire Rutherford, Fire Rutherford…”
“Throw a punch Horvat for fuck sakes. Trevor Linden all over again. Why can’t we ever have a hard nosed mean prick for a captain“ - Doyle
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:54 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Arbour »

Per wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:25 am Because hope is central to being a hockey fan. Without hope we have nothing, only despair.
lol I just spit my coffee all over the table. Canucks fans as fatalists... and then you feel shame.

Back to Pettersson. Pettersson isn't a raw rookie, as far as injury, COVID etc he is no different than some other players on the team. Where he differs is that he held out in order to become the highest paid forward on the team, and in my opinion that is to why he should be under the microscope. Obviously as a business decision he thought he was worth a certain amount of money and was paid that on the understanding he would continue to perform as he once did. Pro sports seems to be one of the few occupations where failure to deliver under a contract is tolerated. Obviously that would exclude unforeseen circumstances such as injury.

Given Pettersson's performance to date would I consider trading him, definitely, but the cost would be steep, and the timing right, he is not an untouchable at this point in his career, and he certainly is no Nathan MacKinnon. Is there a chance that would be the wrong thing to do, definitely, but then that is to mitigated by the return on any trade.

The Canucks already have an abundance of small forwards, and at this point Pettersson seems to lack the intensity he once had which allowed him to use the talent he has to overcome his physical limitations such as they are.
User avatar
donlever
CC Legend
Posts: 5143
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by donlever »

Irrespective of what side of the lads equation one comes out on that's a reasonable and well stated opinion Al.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 25204
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Vin Tanner »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:34 am The Canuck fan - “he’s struggling? Trade his ass outta here! He’s a bum! He’s a beanpole! Can’t fight! He’s a Swede! Even though he sucks and is awful like FOREVER and will never get better we should be able get a premium for him. Why haven’t they traded him for Barzal and Dobson yet, ffs! Fire Rutherford, Fire Rutherford…”
Who is saying these things? Do these people live under your bed?
Worst GM since Jack Gordon is finally gone
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22796
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News n Notes 21-22

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:34 am The Canuck fan - “he’s struggling? Trade his ass outta here! He’s a bum! He’s a beanpole! Can’t fight! He’s a Swede! Even though he sucks and is awful like FOREVER and will never get better we should be able get a premium for him. Why haven’t they traded him for Barzal and Dobson yet, ffs! Fire Rutherford, Fire Rutherford…”
Who is saying these things? Do these people live under your bed?
Nobody

I made it up
“Throw a punch Horvat for fuck sakes. Trevor Linden all over again. Why can’t we ever have a hard nosed mean prick for a captain“ - Doyle
Post Reply