Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Zedlee wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:07 am There was an article floating around talking about Quinn being the best dman in the Canadian conference, what a bunch of the dummies in media don’t realize yet is we got the second best dman as well in Nate schmidt. He’s gonna be a massive eye opener for people in Vancouver, and Canadian media in general.
Personally I hate this kind of hype article on Hughes; nothing good comes from proclaiming a guy with 1 years experience, the best D man in the country. WTF. The hockey gods do not like this stuff.
It wouldn't surprise me if he's not as good in his second year...it happens often to rookies. More media, more attention, more pressure and they struggle.

Agree fully on Nate - he's going to be great. How did he fall into our laps? What a steal.
I agree with Quinn could take a step back except I think Nate and edler will take most of the heavy lifting minutes which should hopefully keep his quality of competition lower.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:12 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:26 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:07 am There was an article floating around talking about Quinn being the best dman in the Canadian conference, what a bunch of the dummies in media don’t realize yet is we got the second best dman as well in Nate schmidt. He’s gonna be a massive eye opener for people in Vancouver, and Canadian media in general.
You are correct sir.

He was a huge part of one of the top western conference teams' top pairings and whats the bet the Knights take a step back despite adding Petro.
Lol I think the Knights did ok with Pietrangelo
That contract is gonna haunt them, he was decent against us in the playoffs but he wasn’t a game breaker. I think vegas pulled the trigger on him to try and improve there handedness, they were similar to us in that they had way too many lefties.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:10 am
Personally I hate this kind of hype article on Hughes; nothing good comes from proclaiming a guy with 1 years experience, the best D man in the country. WTF. The hockey gods do not like this stuff.
It wouldn't surprise me if he's not as good in his second year...it happens often to rookies. More media, more attention, more pressure and they struggle.

Agree fully on Nate - he's going to be great. How did he fall into our laps? What a steal.
I agree with Quinn could take a step back except I think Nate and edler will take most of the heavy lifting minutes which should hopefully keep his quality of competition lower.
I think Green will pair Hughes with Schmidt and Myers with Edler on pair #2
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pietrangelo is 30 years old and signed a seven year deal. He’ll be damn good for most if not all of it. He will be 37 when the deal is up. By comparison look at Shea Weber and Ryan Suter at 35, Alex Edler at 34, Mark Giordano at 37 all still playing very good hockey. I’d be more worried about Tyler Myers’s play not falling off a cliff.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 am
You are correct sir.

He was a huge part of one of the top western conference teams' top pairings and whats the bet the Knights take a step back despite adding Petro.
You are right in they did just ok.

Petro is a damn good offensive dman but is not the fleetest of foot. Last year the VGK moved pucks out of danger faster than any other team I got to watch and this year they will lose a step from that back end.

Then there is the whole double stud issue...how are Karlsson and Chewbacca looking these days?
Who's the other stud in Vegas?
Shea Theodore
I dunno if I'd put Theodore in that category. AP, EK, and BB, are all Norris winners.

I'd say he's a solid top pairing guy on any team, but is he the legit #1 on every team?

Also, Theodore has only had a single season with over 40 points. Those other guys have quite a bit more under their belts.

As for EK and BB, one of the reasons it doesn't work like everyone thought is because both of them are offense first blueliners. Yes, good in their own end, even underrated by some, however they are also both right-shooting players who probably find that their respective games steps on each other's toes.

Theodore and Pietrangelo will likely form one of the best natural LT/RT pairings in the league right now. Most recently comparable to Keith and Seabrook in their primes.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:10 am

I think Green will pair Hughes with Schmidt and Myers with Edler on pair #2
Will Green be tempted to try a three and two powerplay? If not, the second unit may be put out a little quicker now.
This season will be arduous and although obviously tempting, I think Green will try and maximize his new asset and not play Quinn and Nate
together five on five. For one thing, so easy for other teams to line match if they play together.
By the way, the article Rich saw was in full HD .Image
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Theodore just completed a season where he scored at .65 ppg clip whereas Petro's career ppg is at .59 (last year was his best ever at .74 btw)

ST is only 25 and still hasn't reached full potential. He was having a Conn Smythe worthy playoffs in the bubble if they had snuck past Dallas.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:12 am
You are correct sir.

That contract is gonna haunt them, he was decent against us in the playoffs but he wasn’t a game breaker. I think vegas pulled the trigger on him to try and improve there handedness, they were similar to us in that they had way too many lefties.
Agreed about that contract.

Also apparently the players are pissed about some of their top players being shopped to accommodate Petro.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vegas fans and media widely credited the return of Schmidt last year to them regaining their jam. They were 4 games under .500 after that 20 game suspension then they immediately turned on the jets upon his return going 14 games over .500 over the remaining 62. He was a +22 over that stretch. Hes a career +88 which is somewhat indicative of him being an elite-as-fuck defensman.

As an aside, until the Boos found lightning in a bottle the year they won it all, they were a mediocre underacheiving group that was pretty close to losing one or more of their top dmen. Remove that stretch from late january til they hoisted the cup, they sucked. Petro was a massive part of that suckage

This is more of what Vegas will be getting IMO. Their reign is ova
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:13 pm Vegas fans and media widely credited the return of Schmidt last year to them regaining their jam. They were 4 games under .500 after that 20 game suspension then they immediately turned on the jets upon his return going 14 games over .500 over the remaining 62. He was a +22 over that stretch. Hes a career +88 which is somewhat indicative of him being an elite-as-fuck defensman.

As an aside, until the Boos found lightning in a bottle the year they won it all, they were a mediocre underacheiving group that was pretty close to losing one or more of their top dmen. Remove that stretch from late january til they hoisted the cup, they sucked. Petro was a massive part of that suckage

This is more of what Vegas will be getting IMO. Their reign is ova
Lol you sure changed your tune from wanting to sign him in UFA.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Vegas' talkative owner said they're not trying to move Max Pacioretty a couple of days ago when rumors surfaced.

Which must mean they're trying to move Max Pacioretty. They're about 1 million over the cap currently.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:36 pm Vegas' talkative owner said they're not trying to move Max Pacioretty a couple of days ago when rumors surfaced.

Which must mean they're trying to move Max Pacioretty. They're about 1 million over the cap currently.
There have been rumblings about them trying to clear cap room for a trade as well but so far zippity zoppity. They are tinkering too much and are going to ruin their soup
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Lol you sure changed your tune from wanting to sign him in UFA.

Ya well, thats before we knew we could thieve the golden shower's lunch money....man
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I just like that we added another 30+pt dman to the d-corps in Nate who has a better shot than myers and the former tanev, stecher.

Hughes top gunner.
Schmidt and Edler 30+pt guys
Myers 20pts
Juolevi should rack up some decent assists.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 am Pietrangelo is 30 years old and signed a seven year deal. He’ll be damn good for most if not all of it. He will be 37 when the deal is up. By comparison look at Shea Weber and Ryan Suter at 35, Alex Edler at 34, Mark Giordano at 37 all still playing very good hockey. I’d be more worried about Tyler Myers’s play not falling off a cliff.
Why would Tyler’s play fall off? Is it because he’s a benning guy? Or are you just talking out your butt?