Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:34 pm Canucks dodged a bullet with Tanev. Glad for him, he was able to cash in on Hughes carrying him around the ice, I don’t see gio being able to do that. Time to get Barry on a short term deal to help edler with transitioning the zone.
Yup happy for him, covid-19 was good to him as it shut down the season for a few months allowed to him heal up for the playoffs so he can appear to have a solid healthy season, now he's guaranteed bank - retirement cash setup.

All Hughes needs is a stay at home dman to hold the fort so he can produce...should trade a winger for d.savard.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:34 pm Canucks dodged a bullet with Tanev. Glad for him, he was able to cash in on Hughes carrying him around the ice, I don’t see gio being able to do that. Time to get Barry on a short term deal to help edler with transitioning the zone.
Yes they did but I’m happy for those guys to get paid one last time even if it is the Flames. I’m glad it didn’t materialize with OEL today as well. And if they don’t sign Barrie that will be four bullets dodged. Benning has had lead buzzing around him for days. I like the idea of his ducking down into a foxhole and waiting it out. He got the goalie he needed on a good term. Hopefully Holtby can resurrect himself under Ian Clark.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Not very confident in signing Barrie. I think they may as well throw Rafferty into the top four, or try switching Hughes to the right side. One player they could try to take a cheap flyer on is Zach Bogosian? He played well in the playoffs for Tampa, but that was Tampa. He could turn out to be Gudbranson Pt.2? But if you pair him with a fast-skating, skilled left-sided defensemen like Hughes or Rathbone it might work out okay. He brings more size and grit than Stecher or Barrie. Something like:

Myers Hughes
Rafferty Edler
Bogosian Rathbone

With depth of:

Benn Juolevi
Chatfield Brisebois
Woo

As long as you sign a one year deal for not too much of a cap hit, Bogosian might be worth a shot? I think I like that idea better than:

Myers Hughes
Barrie Edler
Benn Rathbone
Rafferty Juolevi
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So...the defense.

What are the chances of Benning making a serious pitch to Petro? Apparently Ottawa is still far below the cap minimum and will need to add some hit....this is where an Eriksson move can be made.

Can van lure big Alex out west? Thr Laughs chose Brodie so theyre out.

What is the appropriate sweetener for Ottawa to bite? Would you ship next years 1st over with Weezie if it meant you cleared enough space to add Petro?
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 am So...the defense.
What is the appropriate sweetener for Ottawa to bite? Would you ship next years 1st over with Weezie if it meant you cleared enough space to add Petro?
Nah, No more 1st's given.
Petro's a hell of a player but the aav & term will fuck things in the long term.
And it doesn't seem like Jimbros MO this year
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:13 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 am So...the defense.
Nah, No more 1st's given.
Petro's a hell of a player but the aav & term will fuck things in the long term.
And it doesn't seem like Jimbros MO this year
They're going to be paying out to someone to play top 4 minutes in Van, be it Barrie or someone shittier...why not an all star? Barrie likely wants 6-7 and will settle for 6. A stetcher contract more lands you a norris level asset. I cant see this as bad

A realistic contract to Petro will be something like 8.5 til hes 35. Hes a dynamic piece who will probably still be playing at a top level til hes at least 33-34.

Jimmy was all in on OEL til the rookie gm fucked him. He lost the entire week leading up to this where he would've gone another direction for his D.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

No 1st rounders attached to Lois. Try and dumpster dive for a couple of decent defenders through trade or free agency. The real window was always going to open up in 2022. They have no cash for Petro. He will want at least 8 x 7 years. He’s a lot better player than OEL so you could perhaps justify paying him that, but we don’t have the young assets of picks needed to purge the rot off the roster.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:38 am No 1st rounders attached to Lois. Try and dumpster dive for a couple of decent defenders through trade or free agency. The real window was always going to open up in 2022. They have no cash for Petro. He will want at least 8 x 7 years. He’s a lot better player than OEL so you could perhaps justify paying him that, but we don’t have the young assets of picks needed to purge the rot off the roster.
But Doyle, Doc said those contracts should be moved easily.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:47 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:38 am No 1st rounders attached to Lois. Try and dumpster dive for a couple of decent defenders through trade or free agency. The real window was always going to open up in 2022. They have no cash for Petro. He will want at least 8 x 7 years. He’s a lot better player than OEL so you could perhaps justify paying him that, but we don’t have the young assets of picks needed to purge the rot off the roster.
Well it’s been proven that they aren’t easy to move hasn’t it? They just can’t afford to strap a 2021 1st to Lois. I have no idea if that even gets it done. Obviously Demko, Podkolzin and Hoglander are non starters. Maybe you could ditch one of Roussel or Sutter if you attached Olaf to them but I doubt Juolevi has much value.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:54 am
Mëds wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:47 am
Well it’s been proven that they aren’t easy to move hasn’t it? They just can’t afford to strap a 2021 1st to Lois. I have no idea if that even gets it done. Obviously Demko, Podkolzin and Hoglander are non starters. Maybe you could ditch one of Roussel or Sutter if you attached Olaf to them but I doubt Juolevi has much value.
Yeah. I was being facetious. Busting on Doc a bit. :P
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:38 am No 1st rounders attached to Lois. Try and dumpster dive for a couple of decent defenders through trade or free agency.
Dmen acquired via the dumpster are garbage Doyle.

The canucks can afford Petro if they wash out Weezie and if it takes that late 1st i say its worth the loss. This team will be living or dying with the pieces they already have in the system.....that late first is likely a 3rd liner or 3rd pairing piece in 5 years
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pietrangelo isn’t going to singlehandedly fix this team Brown Lizzy. Other than Motte, maybe Virtanen and Gaudette, the bottom two lines are a disaster. There still wouldn’t be any defensive depth.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 am Pietrangelo isn’t going to singlehandedly fix this team Brown Lizzy. Other than Motte, maybe Virtanen and Gaudette, the bottom two lines are a disaster. There still wouldn’t be any defensive depth.
AP rocks out at 30+ minutes a night. Everybody moves down the order which will greatly improve everything in their own end and maybe Myers will look a lot better rolling at 18 rather than the 22+ minutes a game hes been working at.

The bottom pairing will be closer to 12 minutes a night. A much better scenario to bring along rookies like Juolevi, Brafferty or Wrathboner
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:05 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 am Pietrangelo isn’t going to singlehandedly fix this team Brown Lizzy. Other than Motte, maybe Virtanen and Gaudette, the bottom two lines are a disaster. There still wouldn’t be any defensive depth.
AP rocks out at 30+ minutes a night. Everybody moves down the order which will greatly improve everything in their own end and maybe Myers will look a lot better rolling at 18 rather than the 22+ minutes a game hes been working at.

The bottom pairing will be closer to 12 minutes a night. A much better scenario to bring along rookies like Juolevi, Brafferty or Wrathboner
Yeah, I am for getting AP, we could handle it this year. A lot of contracts are coming off the books next season. I think we can fill the gaps with cheap plugs and ELC.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

30 minutes is a stretch...his career averages are over 24 regular season and 25 playoffs.

Still...this team needs another premium asset on defense. They have 1 piece plus basically depth. Not nearly enough