Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

It is a cash grab by the owners to make up for the falling Can-US exchange rate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arizona picks up Grossman and Pronger ( :lol:) for Gagner and a pick.

Gotta reach the floor somehow!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

damonberryman wrote:Put a team in Whitehorse and hand out free beer. I would travel from NY to see that shit. Have you ever been to a bar in Whitehorse? If you like to fight a lot it is a great town.
I lived there for a year and loved it. More tail than you can shake your dick at...
There was no more fighting there than at coconuts in 1988...although which W/H bar u pick makes a difference...ask Jello or Topps their opinions on such matters
If you need air...call it in
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Arizona picks up Grossman and Pronger ( :lol:) for Gagner and a pick.

Trading around the contract for someone who's "retired" and is working at NHL head office has got to raise some eyebrows. Although I'm not surprised, and I don't begrudge the deal, it works for the Yotes and Flyers.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Arizona picks up Grossman and Pronger ( :lol:) for Gagner and a pick.

Trading around the contract for someone who's "retired" and is working at NHL head office has got to raise some eyebrows. Although I'm not surprised, and I don't begrudge the deal, it works for the Yotes and Flyers.

Amazing cap circumvention both ways.

We should be able to trade our hold back on Luongo no? Along with the cap recapture o Arizona no? If Luongo retires it will help Arizona for years.
The only HW the Canucks need
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

That Pronger trade is crap. I don't mind PHX and PHI using this to their mutual advantage, but how can the NHL condone it? Absolute crap.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
damonberryman wrote:Put a team in Whitehorse and hand out free beer. I would travel from NY to see that shit. Have you ever been to a bar in Whitehorse? If you like to fight a lot it is a great town.
I lived there for a year and loved it. More tail than you can shake your dick at...
There was no more fighting there than at coconuts in 1988...although which W/H bar u pick makes a difference...ask Jello or Topps their opinions on such matters
I've always had fun in Whitehorse.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

theman wrote:That Pronger trade is crap. I don't mind PHX and PHI using this to their mutual advantage, but how can the NHL condone it? Absolute crap.

Boston is now looking to trade Savard. This started with the leaves trade at the TDD.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
theman wrote:That Pronger trade is crap. I don't mind PHX and PHI using this to their mutual advantage, but how can the NHL condone it? Absolute crap.

Boston is now looking to trade Savard. This started with the leaves trade at the TDD.
I wonder if Arizona picks him up also, maybe get themselves a 3rd rounder out of it.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
i wonder if all the season ticket holders in Whitehorse would be 6ft 8 .
They max out at 6ft 5.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mike Richards being bought out by LA. Lombardi must be pissed he let Mike convince him he was committed to off-season PT.

PA Parenteau also (Colorado) and Mark Fistric (Anaheim) also on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buy outs.

The shitty UFA pool just got... deeper.
Rayxor
CC Veteran

Post by Rayxor »

The guy might be in the HoF soon. Looks good on paper, and in the season opener you can retire his jersey!
Rayxor
CC Veteran

Post by Rayxor »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Mike Richards being bought out by LA. Lombardi must be pissed he let Mike convince him he was committed to off-season PT.
Would he be worth picking up for a year contract at a reasonable price? He could start off as 2nd line C, drop down as needed if/when Bo earns it. A one year, cheap, "prove them wrong" deal would be nice. He would certainly want a longer term and could get it.

Just a thought experiment as I don't think Jim wants a guy with baggage.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Rayxor wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Mike Richards being bought out by LA. Lombardi must be pissed he let Mike convince him he was committed to off-season PT.
Would he be worth picking up for a year contract at a reasonable price? He could start off as 2nd line C, drop down as needed if/when Bo earns it. A one year, cheap, "prove them wrong" deal would be nice. He would certainly want a longer term and could get it.

Just a thought experiment as I don't think Jim wants a guy with baggage.
Part of me says yes, just because of what Richards has done in the past and the experience he'd bring. I think he could be a good 3rd/4th line option to help Bo out with the defensive side of things. But then I remember he's fallen a long way, has a lot of hard miles on him, and has certainly lost a step and has had his commitment issues. So I'm torn. I love what Mike Richards used to be, but I think that player is pretty much gone. It would have to be for a bargain-bin price and a 1-year deal, if it happened at all.

I certainly wouldn't bring him in as a top-6 guy, Sedin-Bonino would stay, but if he wasn't being paid big bucks and his role was strictly depth, defensive C and PK? I think it would be a low-risk move. The worst that happens is he continues to deteriorate and we chalk it up as a wasted roster spot for a year. Best case scenario is he manages to reinvent himself as a bottom-6 guy and extends his career a couple more years.

People thought Brad Richards was done, and now he's got another cup ring. If the Canucks feel M.Richards can play a role, and Richards buys into it, fully aware it's his last chance to play NHL hockey, it could be worth the gamble. I think he makes more sense to us (team with cap trouble and lacking a bottom-6 C), than someone looking for a top-6 C.
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:Buffalo considering a Hodgson buy out. Have found no takers on the trade market given his cap. I expect some team that needs to reach to cap floor, Like Arizona maybe, could step up and offer a late pick in an effort to take him off Buffalo hands.
It is official now.
Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet
Cody Hodgson and Viktor Stalberg have been placed on waivers for the purpose of a buyout. http://ow.ly/OWA4s