Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hank wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 pm
Now there's barely any talent there besides the top-2 centers and potential cap issues due to horrendous trades and brutal signings.

Holy shit, that's some serious incompetence. The previous Oilers GMs must all be breathing a sigh of relief that their incompetence will be forgotten.
While I doubt anyone will forget the ineptitude of previous management teams, Chiarelli’s tenure has to be the worst of the bunch. I get that some of it was outside his control (the party/snow culture), he really could not of done a worse job remaking the team. Talk about overcompensating...

Sees the team is too soft, goes out and blows his brains out on Lucic, stocks the wings with big men at the expense of skill. Tries to rebalance the cap. Whittles Jordan Eberle into a waiver dump.

Sees the defence is in terrible shape. Goes out and gets Adam Larson (good), at the expense of Taylor Hall (awful). Dude will tell us all about the Reinhart debacle. The D is still terrible and now they lack skilled wingers.

Any one of these things on its own would be bad enough, add them up... yuck.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning never got the public credit he deserved for his role in helping the Bruins win a Cup. But the players knew. Other GMs knew. I remember when Linden was given permission to speak to Benning. Lucic told a friend or mine that the players were devastated at the thought of him leaving and credited Benning with much of the teams success. He also said that if Benning left it would start an exodus. Players didnt respect Chiarelli the way they did Benning. He described Benning as humble, never seeking the limelight and always crediting others. He described Chiarelli as full of himself, always seeking recognition and always taking credit and subscribing blame.

After Benning got the Canucks job Lucic called that same friend to congratulate the Canucks. He also said he was coming home and would play for Benning any day of the week. Well that part didn't work out.

As for Chiarelli, he inherited the makings of a decent team, had the McJesus draft pick handed to him. But he stepped into a party culture and he didn't know how to handle it. He did to Hall what he did to Seguin. Dumped his ass. He signed Lucic to be the dressing room and on the road policeman of the team. Lucic burnt out after two seasons in trying to get some players to buy in. The party culture runs deep on the team. Maybe not as much as a party culture now but more so not knowing how to be a professional athlete. I think Edmonton is an example of what a loosing culture looks like.

on top of that, Chiarelli simply made some very very stupid trades.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:05 am Benning never got the public credit he deserved for his role in helping the Bruins win a Cup. But the players knew. Other GMs knew. I remember when Linden was given permission to speak to Benning. Lucic told a friend or mine that the players were devastated at the thought of him leaving and credited Benning with much of the teams success. He also said that if Benning left it would start an exodus. Players didnt respect Chiarelli the way they did Benning. He described Benning as humble, never seeking the limelight and always crediting others. He described Chiarelli as full of himself, always seeking recognition and always taking credit and subscribing blame.

After Benning got the Canucks job Lucic called that same friend to congratulate the Canucks. He also said he was coming home and would play for Benning any day of the week. Well that part didn't work out.

As for Chiarelli, he inherited the makings of a decent team, had the McJesus draft pick handed to him. But he stepped into a party culture and he didn't know how to handle it. He did to Hall what he did to Seguin. Dumped his ass. He signed Lucic to be the dressing room and on the road policeman of the team. Lucic burnt out after two seasons in trying to get some players to buy in. The party culture runs deep on the team. Maybe not as much as a party culture now but more so not knowing how to be a professional athlete. I think Edmonton is an example of what a loosing culture looks like.

on top of that, Chiarelli simply made some very very stupid trades.
I think Edmonton has a meh culture. The players treat it like a job, some place they go during the day to make money to have fun. The Oiler's past management consisted of some of the wildest animals from their hay day. McT and KLowe never met an ounce of blow they didn't like so how the heck are they supposed to reign in the party lifestyle. Plus Edmonton is like Siberia in the winter months. Add in young men with lot's of money (relatively speaking) and there you go. Oh and don't forget the fans. Losing season after losing season they still refuse to speak with their wallets. Wow after typing this I have went from 50/50 on the playoffs/high draft bandwagon to like 70/30. We should do the opposite of what Edmonton does.

Does anyone else think McDavid is screwed if he loses a step?

Edit: and just like that Chiarelli gets fired. The horrible contract to a back up goalie probably did him in.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can’t think of one thing Chia has done in Edmonton that was good

Hall trade - bad
Eberle trade - bad
Giving up on Schultz - bad
Lucic signing - bad
Futures for back up Talbot - bad
Puljujarvi pick - bad
Spooner Strome - worse than Eberle trade
Russell signing - bad
Caggiula trade - ????
Sekeres? - was that Chia
Reinhart acquisition - awful

It’s just non-stop

Biggest mistake Chia made - should have been patient, thought their 5th rebuild in a row was over after drafting McDavid.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hopefully they give Mac T another opportunity
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Oilers new GM only has one option, don’t do anything, be patient and ride it out. There’s no quick fix there. Draft, draft draftMaybe fire the pro and amateur scouting staff

McJesus has about 12 years of dominance hockey left in him. What’s the rush?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Well that’s too bad. I have been enjoying watching Chia run the club into the ground almost as badly as Lowe did.
I can only hope they hire Messier to “fix things.” Another inept meathead in charge would be perfect from my perspective.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am The Oilers new GM only has one option, don’t do anything, be patient and ride it out. There’s no quick fix there. Draft, draft draftMaybe fire the pro and amateur scouting staff

At this rate I will wager that at least the last 5 years of said dominance will not be spent in Edmonton.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:04 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am The Oilers new GM only has one option, don’t do anything, be patient and ride it out. There’s no quick fix there. Draft, draft draftMaybe fire the pro and amateur scouting staff

At this rate I will wager that at least the last 5 years of said dominance will not be spent in Edmonton.
Yeah I agree. McDavid won't retire an Oiler, his UFA retirement contract will be with another team ala John Tavares. 7 years after this season until current contract expires he will be 29 at the time

...but remember when Gretzky would never be traded out of Edmonton? Didn't Poklington promise that?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

This is 100% correct, they need somebody to overhaul their drafting and development, much like what Jim did here. I’d laugh if Gillis took the job, would see them struggle for a bunch more years while he tried to outsmart everybody.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I don't think the team knows what patience is. And, who knows if Hitchcock will want to stay next season if he doesn't get a few more horses to work with.

Don't get me wrong. I love to see the Oilers suffer. But, I wonder if they'd be much better if Sekera and Klefbom we not both injured??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Tciso wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 am

I don't think the team knows what patience is. And, who knows if Hitchcock will want to stay next season if he doesn't get a few more horses to work with.

Don't get me wrong. I love to see the Oilers suffer. But, I wonder if they'd be much better if Sekera and Klefbom we not both injured??
They’d be in a playoff spot if Sekera and Klefbom were healthy. Klefbom is easily a top 4 guy, that can run a power play, and sekera is a number 4 guy. Having those guys keeps nurse, Benning, and Russell playing lower minutes. I still don’t know why they haven’t had Matt running the power play with Klefbom out, he’s got the heaviest shot on the team, and is a good puck mover. His goal last night was awesome.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 am
Tciso wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 am

They’d be in a playoff spot if Sekera and Klefbom were healthy. Klefbom is easily a top 4 guy, that can run a power play, and sekera is a number 4 guy. Having those guys keeps nurse, Benning, and Russell playing lower minutes. I still don’t know why they haven’t had Matt running the power play with Klefbom out, he’s got the heaviest shot on the team, and is a good puck mover. His goal last night was awesome.
Yep, with the West being as bad as it is, they're certainly still in the hunt for a playoff spot. I think they need a lot of work over the longer term, and I'm not sure how they'll sort out the cap, but it's hard to write them off completely when they have the best player on the planet.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 am I can’t think of one thing Chia has done in Edmonton that was good

Hall trade - bad
Eberle trade - bad
Giving up on Schultz - bad
Lucic signing - bad
Futures for back up Talbot - bad
Puljujarvi pick - bad
Spooner Strome - worse than Eberle trade
Russell signing - bad
Caggiula trade - ????
Sekeres? - was that Chia
Reinhart acquisition - awful

It’s just non-stop

Biggest mistake Chia made - should have been patient, thought their 5th rebuild in a row was over after drafting McDavid.
It's incredible the riches he inherited and yet he destroyed the kingdom in only 3.5 years on the job.

He had talented 1st rounders in their prime when he took over. #22 Eberle, #1 Hall, #1 Nugent-Hopkins, #19 Klefbom, #1 Yakupov <- (what a terrible, terrible pick), #7 Nurse, #3 Draisaitl.

Then, he immediately gets #1 McJesus, followed by #4 Puljujarvi, #22 Yamamoto <- (lowest 1st round pick they had in almost 10 years) and #10 (Bouchard).

Sure, a lot of the talent was flawed but with a stash of house money to play with, any competent GM should have parlayed that into massive success. You got a true generational talent, ffs. Man, even I feel kind of bad for Oiler fans.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hank wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am Man, even I feel kind of bad for Oiler fans.
You lost me with this line...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."