Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by SKYO »

I think it's good for Pettersson, it'll make him that much more determined ala Kole Lind after getting snubbed by Team Canada.

Elias won't get overworked as well, he'll be pissed and can work that much more harder to be the best he can be for September 2018 onwards.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 pm I think it's good for Pettersson, it'll make him that much more determined ala Kole Lind after getting snubbed by Team Canada.

Elias won't get overworked as well, he'll be pissed and can work that much more harder to be the best he can be for September 2018 onwards.
Just an opinion, but I think Elias would have fit in just fine.
This will NOT be a hard hitting, rock-em-sock-em Olympics.
It will be called tight and the team that can score the most will win, so, um, think they might regret their decision.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 pm I think it's good for Pettersson, it'll make him that much more determined ala Kole Lind after getting snubbed by Team Canada.

Yeah....

I was hoping four a historic five gold season though....

Växjö is leading the SHL and would be considered favourites to win the championship.
Växjö has also done well in the Pan-European Champions Hockey League and have reached the final.
Sweden had a very strong team for this year's WJC.
With the NHL boycott Elias, who has been leading the SHL in goals and points, could have hada shot at becoming an Olympian, and albeit Russia is probably the favourites to win, Sweden will be in the running.
And finally, as the goals and points leader of the SHL, Elias should have a shot at making the roster for the World Championship, where Sweden is always one of the favourites to win.

Well, the WJC gold is of course already stricken from the list, but he could at least have had a shot at medalling at all five events, which would still be a historic feat.

He could of course still be a last minute addition. They have kept two forward slots open on the Olympic roster, as the players they intended for them are currently injured. But I doubt it. Oh well. Guess it is what it is.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2 goals last night. It seems that the Great Elias' transition yo centre has been a smooth one

Homeruns you say? I see at least 6 - Boeser, Pettersen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Tryamkin

Plus a whole bunch of triples and doubles
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 am Homeruns you say? I see at least 6 - Boeser, Pettersen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Tryamkin
Are you sure you don't want to see Pettersen, Gaudette, Demko, and Juolevi play at least a couple of regular season NHL games, first ?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Who is this Danish/Norwegian guy, Pettersen, that everyone is talking about? :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 am Homeruns you say? I see at least 6 - Boeser, Pettersen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Tryamkin
Are you sure you don't want to see Pettersen, Gaudette, Demko, and Juolevi play at least a couple of regular season NHL games, first ?
You are talking to the same guy who has already figured out who the steals and busts are in the 2017 NHL draft. For instance in his world Petterson is the best player in the draft while Makar is already a bust. He also says it’s still too soon to pass judgement on the 2014 draft or the 2016 draft. Makes perfect sense eh ? Tryamkin and Virtanen were taken in the same draft and because Tryamkin is trending well he can be judged, but in Virtanens case he is struggling so it’s too soon to judge him. Makes perfect sense.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

^^^^from the guy who says we lost on the Gudbranson trade. Like his stalwart ceiling projection of Sam Bennett, Harold McCann and Anton Rodin Asplund are already NHL superstars

Bennings asset management is looking brilliant in that case. Like the Garrison, Bieksa, Baertschi, Granlund, Lack, Pouliot, Burrows, Goldobin asset Mgmt manoeuvres
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But why is it easier to judge the 2017 draft than the 2014 draft ? Shouldn’t there be a bit more data on the players from the 2014 draft ? You have repeatedly called Petterson the BEST player of his draft which happened six months ago , yet Virtanen got drafted almost four years ago but it’s still too soon to judge him.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's a known known and not a known unknown that power forwards take longer to develop.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:27 am But why is it easier to judge the 2017 draft than the 2014 draft ? Shouldn’t there be a bit more data on the players from the 2014 draft ? You have repeatedly called Petterson the BEST player of his draft which happened six months ago , yet Virtanen got drafted almost four years ago but it’s still too soon to judge him.
JV has struggled, no question. But, imo, we need to see how he does with top 6 players and ice time. Having linemates like Gaunce and Chaput only teaches him to be selfish, as he is playing with turnovers who make sbisa seem like a puck possession machine. Every pass to Gaunce leads to a hard backcheck.

Even if JV ends up being a Brad May style grinder, that's OK. Every team needs one of those guys too.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 am It's a known known and not a known unknown that power forwards take longer to develop.
Cal Neely, Milan Lucic, Brendan Shanahan and Eric Lindros and a bunch of other guys say hi. Power forwards don’t take any longer to develop than anyone else. Nothing more than a myth. Im not sure if Virtanen is a real power forward either. Once in awhile he takes the puck hard to the net and sometimes he finishes his checks.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 am It's a known known and not a known unknown that power forwards take longer to develop.
Cal Neely, Milan Lucic, Brendan Shanahan and Eric Lindros and a bunch of other guys say hi. Power forwards don’t take any longer to develop than anyone else. Nothing more than a myth. Im not sure if Virtanen is a real power forward either. Once in awhile he takes the puck hard to the net and sometimes he finishes his checks.
Todd Bertuzzi says hi too. Mr. Bertuzzi did not fully develop into a power forward until he was 24/25. BTW, Cam Neely's first 50 goals season happened when he was 24/25. Lucic's first and the only 30 goals season happened when he was 22/23. Brendan Shanahan's first 50 goals season happened when he was 23/24. The only one that you can truly claim to be a power forward without development is Lindros.

I am not saying Virtanen will definitely develop into a true power forward; however, I still think that we, fans, need to be patient with him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovocop wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 am
Todd Bertuzzi says hi too. Mr. Bertuzzi did not fully develop into a power forward until he was 24/25. BTW, Cam Neely's first 50 goals season happened when he was 24/25. Lucic's first and the only 30 goals season happened when he was 22/23. Brendan Shanahan's first 50 goals season happened when he was 23/24. The only one that you can truly claim to be a power forward without development is Lindros.

I am not saying Virtanen will definitely develop into a true power forward; however, I still think that we, fans, need to be patient with him.
Yes, those guys hit their prime in their 20's, like almost every other NHL player. Neely was a 70-point player at 21. Shanahan had 30 goals and 70 points at 20. Lucic led his team in scoring at 23.

There's nothing wrong if Virtanen winds up as the Raffi Torres 3rd liner, capable of teasing of greater things but lacking consistency. He'll just have to deal with being compared with those taken after him. C'est la vie.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 am
Jovocop wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 am

Yes, those guys hit their prime in their 20's, like almost every other NHL player. Neely was a 70-point player at 21. Shanahan had 30 goals and 70 points at 20. Lucic led his team in scoring at 23.

There's nothing wrong if Virtanen winds up as the Raffi Torres 3rd liner, capable of teasing of greater things but lacking consistency. He'll just have to deal with being compared with those taken after him. C'est la vie.
Wendel Clark , Jarome Iginla.... then guys like Gary Roberts, Keith Tkachuk, Clark Gillies, Al Secord, Rick Tocchet, Shane Corson who ran over and bootfucked the league before staring to score at the ripe old age of 21-23.

Handpicking 50 goal seasons seems a bit disingenuous :lol:

I want Virtanen to succeed but when I think of power forwards I tend to think of the guys mentioned above. If he can be a middle six guy like a Hansen who hits harder Im ok with that. 30-40 points playing a strong two way game (because he is actually a strong defensive player) . For the life of me I don’t know why he isn’t getting some serious pk time.