Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Other teams did not "forget" about Anson Carter, but he was great at getting to open spaces in scoring areas. And that's different than crashing the net, which Klatt and King did, though the former is not mutually exclusive of the latter.

At the end of the day, though, Dank and Hank didn't become strong on the puck until that post-lockout season. (Consider that when projecting Petterson -- that was the Sedins Age 24 season.) Carter benefited from that development, which led to a higher quality and quantity of possession, and for the Sedins to credit Carter for a production jump that was due to their development and not really their linemate is typical Sedin modesty.

They made their big skill jump earlier: 2003-2004 (playing with King, then Arvedson, and then usually Linden, IIRC). At that point, the occasional flashes of brilliance from their first three campaigns became a regular thing. Every night you'd see them try something new, something that most other players couldn't do.

The final leap (after they added strength to skill) was a couple years later, when they developed the ability to be dangerous off the rush. They were never fast (though their speed improved), but they became pretty adept at more quickly and effectively exploiting defensive breakdowns with mini-rushes. Urgency is the best word to describe the last attribute they obtained which finally made them elite offensive players.

Now we've seen a decline in speed, a decline in skill (even at the fundamentals -- passes are less sharp in giving and receiving), and less benefit from the strength (because they are less likely to have full control). They are no longer elite; they are no longer very good. But they remain good, and as long as they remain good, I am perfectly fine with them on the team.
This is truly a great post, very accurate in my opinion...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Training camp notes:

Sedins with Goldy on a line.
Burmistrov between Vanek and Eriksson

Virtanen coming into camp at a respectable 215lbs, one of the few Canucks with some mass, could bode well for him if he utilize that size, as the team is pretty Trevor Linden/Brandon Sutter skinny.
He was one of the first on the ice this morning.

Henrik saying the skating in practise by Green is like the days of old 15+ years ago, hard working practice.
"That was tough, it's the way camp was 15-20 years ago. Coach wanted a really good pace and guys were ready. It's refreshing." -- Henrik
Thanks for posting this Skyo, please keep em coming...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:#Canucks have released Aaron Berisha, Matt Barberis, Johny Corneil and Aaron Luchuk from tryout.

I liked Luchuk and thought he had a shot a a contract with Utica. Could still happen I guess. Didn't notice the other three at all really.
So is Aaron Irving still around ? I liked the little I saw of him and I hope they invite him to main camp. He did get nicked up in one of the games though .... maybe just waiting to cut him when he heels up
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Apparently Subban and Boucher were gassed today at their practice. Subban was bent over sucking air and Boucher was lapped a couple of times by Stetcher. :oops:

How do you spell waived, in Boucher's case and demoted in Subban's?

Gotta figure for bubble players they would show up prepared.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jordan Subban look for Steve Kariya cause that's where you're going

Boucher looks like a party animal
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Apparently Subban and Boucher were gassed today at their practice. Subban was bent over sucking air and Boucher was lapped a couple of times by Stetcher. :oops:

How do you spell waived, in Boucher's case and demoted in Subban's?

Gotta figure for bubble players they would show up prepared.
I would guess these two size-challenged guys worked on strength at the expense of endurance in the off-season.

(well I know for a fact Subban has been harshly strength-training for 2 years now)

Green skating everyone into the ground (ice) is no doubt compounding the issue.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I'd love to know who showed the best in today's bag skate, and who blew chunks.

Also, why doesn't the team release more info on the testing?
Even just the top 10 would suffice.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

BladesofSteel wrote:I'd love to know who showed the best in today's bag skate, and who blew chunks.

Weircoch is in shape. Dude crushed his field on the bag skate portion of Group 2.

He spent much of the summer working out with Shea Weber in the Okanagan.

It paid off.

“I put in a lot of work this offseason,” Wiercoch said.

“I worked a ton on my skating.”
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

How do you NOT work a ton on your skating if you haven't made the team yet? It seems crazy. There's almost no one that can ignore that area. Report at the fastest and most fit you've ever been. Anything less is somewhere between naive and stupid.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Puck wrote:How do you NOT work a ton on your skating if you haven't made the team yet? It seems crazy. There's almost no one that can ignore that area. Report at the fastest and most fit you've ever been. Anything less is somewhere between naive and stupid.
Or "Entitled".
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://twitter.com/hashtag/canucks?lang=en
Scroll down and you can see the roster sheet for the day...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:I'd love to know who showed the best in today's bag skate, and who blew chunks.

Stetcher apparently made it look effortless.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:#Canucks have released Aaron Berisha, Matt Barberis, Johny Corneil and Aaron Luchuk from tryout.

I liked Luchuk and thought he had a shot a a contract with Utica. Could still happen I guess. Didn't notice the other three at all really.
So is Aaron Irving still around ? I liked the little I saw of him and I hope they invite him to main camp. He did get nicked up in one of the games though .... maybe just waiting to cut him when he heels up
He's still injured but skating with the other walking wounded including Gaunce and Dahlen.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Apparently Virtanen showed up today prepared to show he's ready. He had a chippy scrimmage seeing him lay out Juolevi then get into a chirping war with him as they both skated to their benches. He followed that up by putting Gudbranson on his butt!!

He seems to have a take no prisoners approach this year. Of course he did lay out McJesus one year at prospects camp and didn't progress much past that. But he seems to be sending the right message. In shape, perfect weight and playing a power forward game.

Green told him last year to not worry about scoring. Concentrate on the power game and defensive awareness. The scoring will follow. Told him he had to be an energy guy who was hard in shift after shift. Perhaps he got the message because he is candid about fighting for a 4th line role this year. Not worried about being top six and recognizes that the only position he is realistically fighting for this year is on the fourth line. Says it would be a privilege and honour to make the team and play there.

Sounds like his sense of entitlement is gone anad he's working hard. Let's hop if the numbers game sends him back to Utica he doesn't get deflated but takes an attitude that he will out play everybody in Utica and get that first call up and if in Utica he decides to be a leader and help them win it all there!

I say this because apparently Green asked for both White and Upshall. Upshall can lead our PK, pop a few goals and play meaniful minutes on the 4th line. White is more Dorsett insurance is suspect. If one or both of them earn a contract that doesn't leave room for Virtanen this year but hey, maybe both White and Upshall become draft picks at the TDD.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

haha good to hear about Virtanen, easily one of the bigger dudes on this smaller team.

In any case, there's a fire burnining in Jake the Hitmans Virtanen's belly, he does have that assholeyness attitude on the ice, perfect for a power forward mentality.

Green just told him to add on what HW said ^, don't worry about scoring or about top 6 or bottom 6, just concentrate on becoming a regular NHL pro - no matter what role it is.
While the points don’t jump off the page, Green says he thought Virtanen was “snake bit” and could have scored 20 goals in the AHL.

“But for me it wasn’t about whether he was going to score or not score,” Green added. “It was about what he learned about himself and how he had to play the game.”

Green says the pressure that comes with being demoted gave Virtanen a chance to learn more about himself as a player.

“A lot of young guys have it easy and at some point in your career you always go through adversity,” Green said. “And to go through adversity, which I thought he did down there a little bit, it’s good for players.

Still, if Virtanen does begin the season with the Canucks, it will be because he earned the spot. Green doesn’t believe in slotting guys into a particular position. Instead, Green has told Virtanen that his goal should simply be to become a regular NHL player, whether it’s as a scorer or a checker.

For me it’s just make the NHL and be a part of a team that wins. Make yourself into an everyday NHL player that has a long career,” Green said.

I think that should be his goal right now. I don’t think we need to predict whether he’s going to be in the top six or bottom six.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gree ... situation/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.