The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC Veteran

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by BingoTough »

herb wrote:Where has BT been? So strange how he just disappears at times...very strange indeed.
Two weeks on, two weeks off
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Ron Wilson slams Phat Phil
"2 weeks on 2 weeks off"

"emotional"

"difficult with team mates when thing not going well".

"I thought I could turn this team around"

"I've watched every Leaf game this season and I've never seen a commitment to defence"

"it's got to be the players fault"

"core players have failed under two or three coaches now"

Sound like an uncoachable bunch.

Check TSN's LeafLunch

LOL

.....and Phil is asked if he's a difficult player to coach.........then goes off on the reporter "you think this is my fault?", "you're such and idiot"

Image Image Image

Yeah okay Phil, you're NOT hard to coach and you're NOT hard to interview. :wink:

You're NOT a fucking nut job! :lol:

And there's nothing wrong with telling the fans off in the press or Salutegate either.

You should never take a hit to make a play, backcheck, or block a shot.

No matter HOW MANY coaches ask you to do so.

OMG the Leaves deserve this guy soooooo much. :mex:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leaves/201 ... schuk.html

In the days after Steve Spott landed a job as a rookie assistant coach for the Toronto Maple leaves in July, he was tasked with a bevy of responsibilities by head coach Randy Carlyle.

Among them, Spott was charged with devising a new breakout play for a team that has long struggled to get the puck out of its own end. Spott thought he’d hit on an effective strategy — until, that is, he shared the plan with leaves leading scorer Phil Kessel. When Kessel voiced displeasure, Spott discovered a harsh reality of life in the NHL. In some corners of the league, and apparently in Leafland, a coach’s learning curve involves bending to the desires of star players.

At least, such was the gist of an anecdote Spott shared at a coaches’ clinic at which he was a guest speaker last month, this according to interviews with three minor-hockey coaches who were in attendance.

“Spotter said that when he went to Phil (with the breakout play), Phil said, I’m not doing it,” said one of the attendees, a former professional player.

Said another: “Spott was saying (that) these are the things I’ve got to deal with now that I’ve never had to deal with. In the AHL (where Spott coached last season with the Toronto Marlies), when you’re the coach what you say goes. Whereas now that I’m here (in the NHL), I’ve got a guy telling me: No. I’m not going to do that.”

The 46-year-old Spott told the group that he made Carlyle aware of the pushback he’d received from Kessel, 26, who signed an eight-year contract extension worth about $64 million last season.

“Spott said Carlyle’s attitude was that we’re fired before (Kessel is) out of here, the hierarchy doesn’t want to deal with Phil. He scores 30 (goals) a year and that’s all they want,” said one of the attendees. “(Spott said) Phil hates coaches. He hates Randy. He hates me and I don’t even know him yet.

Spott estimated during the lecture that Kessel is “15 pounds overweight”
Yeah it's all good Phil.

You are NOT the problem. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm just glad that the Leaves locker room didn't totally curse Team Canada last night - it was close, but the team had the heart to overcome it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote:I'm just glad that the Leaves locker room didn't totally curse Team Canada last night - it was close, but the team had the heart to overcome it.
lol, after they interviewed Harper, the team went downhill for a bit.

#blameharper
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:Why fire Carlyle in the middle of the season if they are going to be waiting on Babcock anyway (no way Babcock leaves stabe and successful Detroit for that gong show, btw).

I think Shanny has seen enough. Firing Carlyle now sends a message that the Leaf coaching job is definitely open. Babcock has been resistant to signing an extension with Detroit for some reason. Maybe he just wants to move on, a new challenge? If, and I'm only spit balling here, if Babcock has interest in coaching the leaves he now knows without a doubt the job is open. He doesn't have to wait for Randy to be fired anymore, it's been done. He also gets distance from it, that is he didn't take Randy's job.

Maybe Babcock wants more than a head coaching job? Who knows. One thing for sure is if he coaches the leaves he will become the highest paid coach in NHL history. They will open the vault for him.

Where are all the Leaves fans that made fun of us for having to pay both MG and Torts while we hire new people. They have had two consecutive coaches now that have fired in the same year they just gave contract extensions too. Add to that the tenuous position the recently extended Nonis now finds himself in. I honestly can't see how Nonis could survive this.

As for Kessel, you need to find a team for both he and Joe Thornton. They deserve each other. Seriously, they desperately need to move Kessel out of there. Cut their losses and try to get the best return they can and move on from a giant Burke mistake. He, Dianna and Clarkson need to be moved, free up the cap, change the vulture and character, trade for Domi!
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Damage Control mode.

OBVIOUSLY he was talking about Leaf players, and it's fairly easy to guess which one(s)...

Leiweke: “Look, there are players on our team today whose numbers are off the charts good and whose character is just terrible”

Phil Kessel… 37 goals + 43 assists = 80 points
James van Riemsdyk… 30 goals + 31 assists = 61 points
Nazem Kadri… 20 goals + 30 assists = 50 points
Tyler Bozak… 19 goals + 30 assists = 49 points
Mason Raymond… 19 goals + 26 assists = 45 points
Joffrey Lupul… 22 goals + 22 assists = 44 points

Kessel is the only one in that group whose bad attitude is infamous, and whose numbers are "off the charts good".

Leiweke could have also been referring to one of Phaneuf/Gardiner who put up good dee-numbers.

But if your captain has character issues...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Maybe Babcock wants more than a head coaching job? Who knows. One thing for sure is if he coaches the leaves he will become the highest paid coach in NHL history. They will open the vault for him.
I'd be curious to see what other offers he gets. Glen Sather will be 72 before the puck drops on the 2015/16 season, would he (and the Rangers, currently in a wild card spot) be willing to "open the vault" for Babcock to come to the Big Apple in a Patrick Roy style Coach/GM-lite position? I don't think the leaves would be the only team on the market, and the Rangers can offer a lot.

As for Kessel, you need to find a team for both he and Joe Thornton. They deserve each other. Seriously, they desperately need to move Kessel out of there. Cut their losses and try to get the best return they can and move on from a giant Burke mistake. He, Dianna and Clarkson need to be moved, free up the cap, change the vulture and character, trade for Domi!
Kessel is a huge talent, but he has absolutely no heart. He's a fantastic player when the puck is on his stick and he's moving towards the offensive blue-line, and that's all. Who do they trade him to? His real money owed next season is $10,000,000, and the next two are for $9,000,000. That's a shit-pile of money for a $8M cap hit. What team, short of the league's big spenders, would consider taking that salary on? Which big spenders have cap space available? And what team in their right mind want to give up the assets that the leaves would want (or need, seeing how good Seguin and Hamilton are becoming) to bring this head-case diva to their team?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Kessel, Dianna and Clarkson need to be moved, free up the cap, change the vulture and character, trade for Domi!
It's impossible to trade Clarkson + free up cap space (leaves would have to eat half his salary.. and even then?)

Kessel and Phaneuf have huge contracts.

Kessel is a cancer and Dion is as dumb as a sack of Booths.

I agree with you that the Leaves should try to trade them.

I just question if anyone wants them right now (with those contracts).

It's a huge mess, I can't see them cleaning it up any time soon. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow wrote:As for Kessel, you need to find a team for both he and Joe Thornton. They deserve each other. Seriously, they desperately need to move Kessel out of there. Cut their losses and try to get the best return they can and move on from a giant Burke mistake. He, Dianna and Clarkson need to be moved, free up the cap, change the vulture and character, trade for Domi
Nonis must be next.

There obviously needs to be a MAJOR shake-up and I doubt Shanahan & co. have any faith in letting Nonis getting it done without fucking it up.
Seriously,how would they get rid of Kessel? buyout? Making things untenable for him so he demands a trade? What team would want him?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dangler wrote: Nonis must be next.
Most of us here at the Corner were saying last summer that both Carlyle + Nonis were lame ducks.

Dead men walking.

Why the Leaves waited so long is unfathomable.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

They suffered from the Mike Gillis over valuing players and refusing to make a deal that was there at the time, mentality. Dianna could have been traded this past summer. Edmonton desperately tried to get him. They could have gotten a couple of the Edmonton kids not namd Hall or RNH. They could have gotten Eberle, yakupov and a pick, just not a 2015 pick. They wanted a 2015 first, plus a couple of roster players plus. Most in the hockey world said it was the time to trade him but they got Mike a Gillis stubborn.

Most agreed the Kessel contract was bad. Clarkson, come on.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:I doubt they fill the coaching job until they know if Babcock walks from Detroit. If Babcock decides to move on I think he gets to write his ticket in Toronto. I also think Nonis will be kept in to clean house but will be gone before next training camp.

Shanny will now move to make this his team with his people. Carlyle and Nonis were given this season and the team's performance has sealed their fate.

They don't make an ideal trading partner for us because they are going to want youth and picks back. Hopefully Fransen decides to walk in the summer, he is one guy I'd like to see in a Canuck's uniform, although I think his price tag on the open market will be too steep .
Yeah , I don't think they let Cheeseburger Guts do too much house cleaning if they plan to fire his fat ass . That makes no sense and I don't think Nonis is long for Toronto .

No thanks to Franson he will get paid way more than he is worth July 1st .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Maybe Babcock wants more than a head coaching job? Who knows. One thing for sure is if he coaches the leaves he will become the highest paid coach in NHL history. They will open the vault for him.
That's probably going to be the case no matter where he ends up signing. I can definitely see him testing the market.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.