Big League Hockey Manager

Do you collect hockey cards or other hockey/Canucks memorabilia? Dicuss your collections in this forum and network with other collectors.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Big League Hockey Manager

Post by Grizzly »

Hey ... any of you play that board game Big League Hockey Manager ... ?? I just got it this last year ... Great game

... basically you are the GM and have to manage your team ... salary cap, payroll, drafting players, free agency etc. ... put together your best starting line up and then play against other managers who are doing the best with their team.

Grizz
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

No I haven't, but incidentally I did see it at Authentix while at the game yesterday and it piqued my interest. It looked like a board game version of Eastside Hockey Manager (a computer game I've been a long time fan of) so naturally it drew my attention. I didn't get much time to look at it because the 2nd period was about to begin.

Anyways, its website says the game Costs $50. Would it be worth my time for me (a cash strapped student) to buy it to play with friends, or is it the kind of game you can only play once or twice before it loses most of its charm?
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

a board game of hockey managing? wow, that's something

EHM i play the freeware and the new one with a price from sigames..new one comes with the cap and VERY detailed stuff..

although some of the attributes are ... off..so to speak..
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

levelheaded wrote:No I haven't, but incidentally I did see it at Authentix while at the game yesterday and it piqued my interest. It looked like a board game version of Eastside Hockey Manager (a computer game I've been a long time fan of) so naturally it drew my attention. I didn't get much time to look at it because the 2nd period was about to begin.

Anyways, its website says the game Costs $50. Would it be worth my time for me (a cash strapped student) to buy it to play with friends, or is it the kind of game you can only play once or twice before it loses most of its charm?
I haved played it quite a bit and I really like it ... basically you draft 9 players to start the game and put them in your starting line up of 6 ... so you have 3 reserves. Starting 6 of course is 3 forwards, 2 d and a goalie. You can either draft or obtain up to 12 players however you have to watch your salary cap of 45 mil ... You go over that and there is huge fines and revenue sharing.

On each "player card" you have a salary for the player and a "power ranking". Total the power ranking up on your starting six and thats the strength of your team against other teams .... roll the die for 3 rounds or 3 periods and that player wins the game. Salary cap though of course is your entire team ... players in your starting six and on the bench.

Sounds pretty straight forward ... but throw in these variables:

- Players get injured,
- players retire,
- expansion happens and take your players,
- land on the restricted/unrestricted free agency square and other game players have the ability to start bidding or negotiating for your top players ... you have to either match or out bid them to retain your player.

There are also other cards which give your players trophies ... ie Hart, Vezina etc. they boost your power ranking and give your team more power to win games.

So you manage your team, do lots of wheeling and dealing for players, future draft choices etc. and when you land on the "play the game" square ... you play off against whoever your next opponent is ... object of the game is to win games ... You can set the game as long as you want ... 3 wins, 5 wins whatever. The games instructions actually encourage lots of bartering negotiating and heckling your fellow GM's for bad moves etc.

The other thing is that the game can turn on a dime ... just because you start off with either a really strong line up or a weak one means nothing ... you can end up drafting some strong players or end up losing your top players to retirement or injury.

If you got a bunch of buddies that are into hockey LevelH I would definitely recommend it but having said that they don't necessarily have to be knowledgeable about hockey or the NHL.

Hope that helps ... let me know if you have any more questions.

Grizz

BTW - A buddy and I have also played that Eastside hockey manager ... the league we were in though kinda crashed but very very cool.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

do you all play the new EHM 2007?
want to get together as an online league?

obviously we'd be all fighting over Canucks.. rofl
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Jelly wrote:do you all play the new EHM 2007?
want to get together as an online league?

obviously we'd be all fighting over Canucks.. rofl
I might be interested Jelly ... what kind of time committment does it involve ??

Grizz