link to '89 series - Van & Calgary

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

link to '89 series - Van & Calgary

Post by nuckster »

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09/12 ... g-clarity/

It's a good view! Kind of amazing that the Flames were pushed (by the then '89 canucks)to the 7th game in overtime and then win it with Otto's skate...
cc oldtimer
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: link to '89 series - Van & Calgary

Post by ClamRussel »

Painful. Not only was that kicked in, it was intentional (back then they weren't allowed to intentionally "redirect" the puck in w/ a skate) BUT it was right in the middle of the paint. Total goaltender interference. Compare to a few years later when the Canucks had an OT PP goal disallowed against Chicago because Linden's skate lace was touching the edge of the (much larger) rounded crease. Nevertheless it was a great series, alot of fun and the better team won. Calgary was a dynasty-level club who just had the misfortune of being in the same div as the Oilers all those years. So, in that sense they kinda deserved a Cup, they were certainly worthy. Game 6 in Vancouver was an insane ass kicking by the Canucks reminiscent of game 6 against the Rangers in '94. I'll never forget that picture of MacInnis laying dazed on the ice after Sandlak knocked the edge out of him w/a gigantic clean bodycheck.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

This was the year that cemented me as a hardcore Canucks fan. With my family of Edmontonians freshly moved to BC 4 years earlier, I watched the Oilers first until then. But my hatred for the Flames really had me cheering Vancouver here, and they endeared themselves to me ever since.
Unfortunately to be a Canucks fan is to get hurt frequently, and as soon as I became a fan I also tasted the pain.
That Otto goal was almost as brutal to me as the Hull goal in 98 would have been to a Sabres fan.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

westvandal wrote:This was the year that cemented me as a hardcore Canucks fan. With my family of Edmontonians freshly moved to BC 4 years earlier, I watched the Oilers first until then. But my hatred for the Flames really had me cheering Vancouver here, and they endeared themselves to me ever since.
Unfortunately to be a Canucks fan is to get hurt frequently, and as soon as I became a fan I also tasted the pain.
That Otto goal was almost as brutal to me as the Hull goal in 98 would have been to a Sabres fan.
It's really too bad for you that you didn't wait one more year.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

That was the hardest series the Flames had on their way to the Cup that year. I think the push that they got from the Canucks, made them a better team going forward. Anyway, it was a lot closer than it should have been. Much like the '04 series, when the Flames were heavy underdogs, they push the Canucks to the limit and actually beat then. It was close, and both series could have easily gone the other way. Anyway, '89 seems so far away from where the Flames are now. :scowl:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra