Roberto Luongo Trivia

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

Cannie
CC Veteran

Roberto Luongo Trivia

Post by Cannie »

Longtime CC members know I pop up once in a while to discuss Canucks trivia, a love of mine.

Here's something I did not realize, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Roberto Luongo holds 2 certified NHL records. Both records were achieved as a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

What are they?

Rule: NO 'cyber peeking'. It's painfully obvious if you blurt out the answers after looking it up. Give it a guess first!

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Roberto Luongo Trivia

Post by puckhead »

guesses:

1) most saves in a season, playoffs included. I know he had stopped more pucks in some Florida seasons, but maybe those two rounds in the post-seaon would put him over the top.

2) save% in November? I know he was lights out last year at this time. Not sure if NHL keeps monthly records as official, and the only way he'd have a shot at a "monthly" record is if Boucher's 5 or 6 shutouts in a row that one time were straddled over two months.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

One of the records is indeed "most saves", but in a different time frame. I'm impressed with your guess of most saves in a season. I've never seen that record, Puckhead, but I bet that one of Luongo's is in the top 5.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Cannie wrote:One of the records is indeed "most saves", but in a different time frame..

if it is "most saves" in a time frame, would the other be "most shots faced" in that same time frame?
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

most shots faces for a 1st playoff game?
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

Did a little digging, and Roberto holds a few NHL records:

Most saves and most shots faced in one season - well done Puckhead! He set the record as a Panther (2003-04), and finished 2nd in the Vezina trophy balloting despite playing for a mediocre Panther team.

Most shots faced in a playoff game (75) and tied the record for most saves (72) in the Anaheim 5OT marathon.

And yes, Mattola, most shots faced in an NHL debut, same game. Welcome to the playoffs!

The tricky one, and the cool unknown record IMHO, is the fact he holds the record for most games and most minutes played in one season at home (41), last year. He played in every home game last year.

Cannie
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Cannie wrote:

The tricky one, and the cool unknown record IMHO, is the fact he holds the record for most games and most minutes played in one season at home (41), last year. He played in every home game last year.

Cannie

that's kind of neat. never thought of it, but yeah I guess he has started every home game in quite some time.
I'm surprised Marty Brodeur hasn't started all home games at some point. Kipprusoff too, for that matter
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

It just occurred to me that Luongo missed a home game vs Dallas last year just before the all-star break in Tampa, when he left early to be with his wife in Florida. So my source is in error. Maybe the year before?