Nucks vs. Oil: Fight on ice....play continues...goal scored

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hey,

Does anyone remember the game waaaay back in the early 90's when the Canucks played the Oilers? I kid you not - a fight broke out on the ice. Almost EVERY single player were involved in the scrum....except for one Oiler play.

He literally skated up the ice (while everyone else was fighting), and scored on the breakaway.

Quinn looked absolutely dumbfounded. The game took place at Northland's Colisseum if I recall correctly.

Does anyone else remember this? More importantly - can anyone find this on You Tube?
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

I think I remember that one but I can't find any clips on you tube.

If memory serves Kerry Fraser was the ref, a scrum broke out and all the canuck skaters and all but 2 oiler skaters headed over to get involved. I believe the oil ended up with a 2 on 0 and scored.

It was years ago and my memory could be wrong but that's the way I remember it.
R.I.P. Luc.
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Re: Nucks vs. Oil: Fight on ice....play continues...goal sc

Post by juggerknot »

I remember this as well. If I recall correctly (no mean feat!) the ref was Andy van Hellemond, although that could be because I always hated him (although I do miss the one-ref, name-on-jersey days).

Back to the point, I don't remember this as a televised game, but since it was around 1990 or 1991 that's no surprise, as the Canucks usually only had about a dozen games on TV then (love the CKNW simulcasts on BCTV!). I seem to remember Stan Smyl being in the brouhaha, and the Oilers scoring on a 2-on-0.

Probably would have to dig through newspaper archives to find it though, unless someone out there had a satellite dish and a VCR.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I saw that game...and watched in disbelief as the goal actually counted!
Total farce.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Back to the point, I don't remember this as a televised game, but since it was around 1990 or 1991 that's no surprise, as the Canucks usually only had about a dozen games on TV then (love the CKNW simulcasts on BCTV!). I seem to remember Stan Smyl being in the brouhaha, and the Oilers scoring on a 2-on-0.
Those are the sort of memories that make you love the game when it doesn't really please you any more, listening to the radio with Paps... probably on the road back from a game you just sucked in.

I don't remember the game in question, but being a young (in this case VERY young) kid, the radio of those non-televised games was much much more evocative and satisfying.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote: I don't remember the game in question, but being a young (in this case VERY young) kid, the radio of those non-televised games was much much more evocative and satisfying.

True dat Toucan!
:cheers: Here's to Jim Robson! :cheers:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:
I don't remember the game in question, but being a young (in this case VERY young) kid, the radio of those non-televised games was much much more evocative and satisfying.
This is so true by the way. Jim Robson and Tom Larsheid really made those games for me.

I still remember some of those old commercials on CKNW for Meadow Bell and VIVO (or VILO?). I have the old themes in my head still.
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

I still remember some of those old commercials on CKNW for Meadow Bell and VIVO (or VILO?). I have the old themes in my head still.
I'll carry the old Lumberland jingle in my head until death. "Fixin' up my house, now, whoops I need a hand - Lumberland!"
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I do not remember the game but I do not recall a lot of the 70's and 80's. I was driving for McCleans and Bonnies during some of those times and loved the play by play of Jim Robson. He was and continues to be the best I have heard. Tom Larschied came later. Can anyone remember his first colour man when Robson started calling Canuck games on radio?
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

juggerknot wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm
I'll carry the old Lumberland jingle in my head until death. "Fixin' up my house, now, whoops I need a hand - Lumberland!"
hahah I totally remember the Lumberland commercials.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion