Canucks Trade History Challenge

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Canucks Trade History Challenge

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Sitting at my desk at work right now...pretty bored with nothing to do and the forums seemed to have dried up due to her current skid-so I was pondering this one question.

What I am wondering is, what is the biggest trade the Canucks have made with each of the 30 NHL teams.

Some of the newer teams I can't recall the Canucks really dealing any players for. If you can, post up which trade you feel is the most significant for the Canucks. Either the other team getting the better end of the deal or the Nucks.

As people submit their biggest trade for the different teams, I will fill in the blanks.

Western Conference

Anaheim:
Calgary:Ronnie Sturm for Dana Muryzn
Chicago:Vancouver Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and 1st round selection (Pavel Vorobiev) in 2000 to the Chicago Blackhawks for 1st round selection (Daniel Sedin) and Ivan Bolderev and Darcy Rota for?
Colorado:
Dallas:
Columbus:
Edmonton:
Los Angeles:
Detroit:
Minnesota:
Phoenix::
Nashville:
San Jose:
St.Louis:St. Louis Blues traded Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning and 5th round selection (Brian Loney) in 1992 to the Vancouver Canucks for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

Eastern Conference

Boston: - CamNeely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley) to for Barry Pederson
New Jersey:Kirk Mclean Traded by Devils (with C Greg Adams) to Vancouver Canucks for C Patrik Sundstrom and fourth-round pick in 1988 draft (LW Matt Ruchty), Later it would be Mogilny to the New Jersey Devils for Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson
Atlanta:
Buffalo:Buffalo Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny and 5th round selection (Todd Norman) in 1995 to the Vancouver Canucks for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and 1st round selection (Jay McKee) in 1995.
New York Islanders:Canucks trade Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round draft pick (Jarkko Ruutu)
Carolina: Enrico Ciccone, Sean Burke and Geoff Sanderson tfor Kirk McLean and Martin Gelinas.
Montreal: A second-round draft choice to the Canadiens for Lumme
New York Rangers:
Florida: To the Florida Panthers: Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference, and Vancouver's 3rd round choice in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft (Robert Fried) for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's first round draft choice in the 2000 draft (Nathan Smith).
Ottawa:
Philadelphia:Sean Burke for Garth Snow. Later Vancouver Canucks traded Donald Brashear and a 6th round selection (later traded to Columbus - Jaroslav Balastik) in 2002 to the Philadelphia Flyers for Jan Hlavac and 3rd round selection (previously acquired - Brett Skinner) in 2002. Dennis Ververgaert for Kevin McCarthy
Tampa Bay:Dan Cloutier for Adrian Aucoin and a 2nd round pick
Toronto: Rick Viave, Bill Derlego for Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler.
Pittsburgh: Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov
Washington:Trevor Linden and a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Vancouver Canucks for a 1st round selection (Boyd Gordon) in 2002 and a 3rd round selection in 2003.

Defunct teams
Atlanta Flames: Don Lever for Darcy Rota and Ivan Boldirev
Minnesota North Stars: Gary " Suitcase" Smith for Cesare Maniago. Tom Kurvers tfor Dave Babych

I'm not that old yet, so I can't remember some of the really old trades in the 70's and early 80's- so any more senior posters can post up their ideas.

I'll start with Florida and say as of right now, the Bure trade is bigger then the Luongo trade. Just because Jovo has made more of an impact on the Canucks and Bure went on to post some great numbers with the Panthers.

We can even post up some of the defunct teams, if anyone remembers any big names being dealt there.

If there is some argument between which trade was more significant, I can put up multiple trades.
Last edited by Rising Sun Canuck on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Well I'll start off with an easy and obvious one.

New York Islanders: Canucks trade Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round draft pick (Jarkko Ruutu)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Pittsburg - Naslund for Alek Stojanov

and

Boston - June 1986 trade sent Neely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 to Boston for Barry Pederson.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Cornuck wrote:Pittsburg - Naslund for Alek Stojanov

and

Boston - June 1986 trade sent Neely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 to Boston for Barry Pederson.
I can't think if a trade that was as significant as the Pittsburgh trade for the present day nucks.

And we all know the pain of trading a bc boy like Neely..who is actually in the Hall now. Ouch..we tend to forget that the draft pick became Glen Wesley too, who also had a great career!
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Easily the Linden for Bertuzzi, McCabe and the Pick was the best in Canucks history.

Linden was done as a 1st line player...barely a second line player at that point and Linden just had to go...turned the locker room into a country club, it took a couple seasons to reverse the damage.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
capt canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by capt canuck »

i can't remember the deal eactly but the garth butcher deal was one of the best i think.it gave the canucks ronning,courtnall and i believe hedican and maybe segio memiso. the deal got them to the 94 final:)
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Great idea. I've moved this topic over to the History forum.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Great thread.

Western Conference

Anaheim: Never Made a significant trade with Anaheim, most recently we gave away draft picks and youth (Skinner) for Vets that didnt work out

Calgary: Ronnie Sturm for Dana Muryzn

Chicago: Vancouver Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and 1st round selection (Pavel Vorobiev) in 2000 to the Chicago Blackhawks for 1st round selection (Daniel Sedin)

Colorado: Cant think of a significant trade with Colorado or Quebec

Dallas: Cant think of a significant trade with Dallas or Minnesota Stars

Columbus: Cant think of a significant trade with Columbus

Edmonton: Cant think of a significant trade with Edmonton

Los Angeles: Cant think of a significant trade with LA

Detroit: Cant think of a significant trade with Detroit

Minnesota: Cant think of a significant trade with Minnesota Wild

Phoenix: Cant think of a significant trade with Phoneix or Winnipeg

Nashville: Cant think of a significant trade with Nashville

San Jose: Cant think of a significant trade with San Jose

St.Louis: Nedved traded to the St. Louis Blues for Jeff Brown, Martin Gellinas, and Nathan LaFayette. AND Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning, and future considerations. Going to St. Louis were Garth Butcher and Dan Quinn.

Eastern Conference

Boston: - Cam Neely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley) to for Barry Pederson

New Jersey: Kirk Mclean Traded by Devils (with C Greg Adams) to Vancouver Canucks for C Patrik Sundstrom and fourth-round pick in 1988 draft (LW Matt Ruchty), Later it would be Mogilny to the New Jersey Devils for Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson

Atlanta: Never Made a significant trade with Atlanta

Buffalo: Buffalo Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny and 5th round selection (Todd Norman) in 1995 to the Vancouver Canucks for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and 1st round selection (Jay McKee) in 1995.

New York Islanders : Canucks trade Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round draft pick (Jarkko Ruutu)

Carolina: Enrico Ciccone, Sean Burke and Geoff Sanderson to the Vancouver Canucks for Kirk McLean and Martin Gelinas.

Montreal: Donald Brashear to the Vancouver Canucks for Jassen Cullimore

New York Rangers: Esa Tikkanen and Brian Noonan for Russ Courtnall and other players?

Florida: To the Florida Panthers: Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference, and Vancouver's 3rd round choice in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft (Robert Fried) for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's first round draft choice in the 2000 draft (Nathan Smith). (this was our biggest trade with them however Luongo and KRaijeck and 6th round pick for BErtuzzi and Allen and Auld was pretty damn huge too)

Ottawa: Peter Schaffer for Sami Salo

Philadelphia: Sean Burke for Garth Snow. Later Vancouver Canucks traded Donald Brashear and a 6th round selection (later traded to Columbus - Jaroslav Balastik) in 2002 to the Philadelphia Flyers for Jan Hlavac and 3rd round selection (previously acquired - Brett Skinner) in 2002.

Tampa Bay: Dan Cloutier for Adrian Aucoin and a 2nd round pick

Toronto: Cant think of a significant trade with Toronto

Pittsburgh: Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov

Washington: Washington Capitals traded Trevor Linden and a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Vancouver Canucks for a 1st round selection (Boyd Gordon) in 2002 and a 3rd round selection in 2003.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

mattola wrote:Great thread.
New York Rangers: Esa Tikkanen and Brian Noonan for Russ Courtnall and other players?
Actually I checked that Tikkanen was acquired from the Devils and traded away to NYR. Noonan was traded from the Rangers to Vancouver, along with Nemchinov, for Courtnall and Tikkanen.

Also, Martin Rucinsky was acquired from the Rangers for R.J Umberger's rights.

And for the Islanders, in the 1999-2000 season, Potvin, a 2nd round, and 3rd round draft pick were traded to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Dave Scatchard, and Bill Muckalt.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Kel wrote:
mattola wrote:Great thread.
Actually I checked that Tikkanen was acquired from the Devils and traded away to NYR. Noonan was traded from the Rangers to Vancouver, along with Nemchinov, for Courtnall and Tikkanen.

Also, Martin Rucinsky was acquired from the Rangers for R.J Umberger's rights.

And for the Islanders, in the 1999-2000 season, Potvin, a 2nd round, and 3rd round draft pick were traded to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Dave Scatchard, and Bill Muckalt.
ah that was it. thanks .... forgot about the Potvin trade....
phockey73
AHL Prospect

Post by phockey73 »

nj: almo for bmo and denis pederson (cant remeber the other players involved)
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

Wasn't the St Louis trade that brought Hedican, Brown and LaFayette to Vancouver for Craig Janney (who was holding out and would not play for the Canucks). Although perhaps Nedved was initially traded for Janney, ifso then the end result would be Nedved for Hedican, Brown and LaFayette.
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

.... ahh..... a bit of research reveals that Nedved signed to play for the Blues and Janney was awarded to the Canucks in an arbitration decision. So this was not really a trade made in a mutual decision by GMs.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

For St.Louis, it's got to be trading Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning and 5th round selection (Brian Loney) in 1992 to the Vancouver Canucks for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher.

Without that trade, 94 would not have happened.

Does anyone also know what we got for Lumme, I remember he was from Montreal I believe.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Toronto- Rigk Viave, Bill Derlego for Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler.

Philly- Dennis Ververgaert for Kevin McCarthy ( this trade killed me)

North Stars -Gary Smith for Cesar Maniago

Black hawks - I know we picked up Ivan Bolderev and Darcy Rota from the Hawks but can't remember who for.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister