Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

John Wright. Good, smart defensive center and penalty-killer. Wasn't around too long, but a reliable player.
Mike Robitaille. Solid veteran defenceman. And OOH! That hipcheck. A master.
Lars Lindgren. Solid player who could reliably log a lot of minutes. Was a real asset during the times he wasn't shooting the puck into his own net. :oops:
Ken (Spider) Lockett. A back-up who once had back-to-back shutouts. You gotta love anyone nicknamed 'Spider'.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Vanekfan3
AHL Prospect

Post by Vanekfan3 »

Mos of the guys you are talking about were long before my time. but i say gino odjick
kevinsanity
AHL Prospect

Post by kevinsanity »

Mike Fountain. If you get a shutout in your very first NHL start, the rest is gravy.
Gary Smith's Valet
Vanekfan3
AHL Prospect

Post by Vanekfan3 »

I agree man
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Ivan Boldirev or Darcy Rota.

One of my all time favs is Tony Tanti, but I think he would qualify as the unsung hero..?
luongos#1fan
AHL Prospect

Post by luongos#1fan »

MATT COOKE :!:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

kevinsanity wrote:Mike Fountain. If you get a shutout in your very first NHL start, the rest is gravy.
LOL you could get the shutout never play another game again and open a bar and run with it for ever :)

"Fountains Shutout" would be the name of the bar.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Mike Fountain

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... 3?pid=1754

man that is a flashback
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re:

Post by LotusBlossom »

NKCTB7 wrote:Gerald Diduck and Robert Dirk in the '94 cup run. We had the biggest and most mobile defensemen that year.
Thank you! Two guys that could hit, play some defense and create room for the scorers. Diduck has always been a fave of mine...
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re:

Post by Arachnid »

Sid Dithers wrote: Ken (Spider) Lockett. A back-up who once had back-to-back shutouts. You gotta love anyone nicknamed 'Spider'.
Amen brotha! AAAAAAmen!

:)

SpiderGeek
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Re:

Post by LotusBlossom »

Arachnid wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote: Ken (Spider) Lockett. A back-up who once had back-to-back shutouts. You gotta love anyone nicknamed 'Spider'.
Amen brotha! AAAAAAmen!

:)

SpiderGeek
Oh how does the ego grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On that note, back to back shut outs and fairly consistent when he was in goal but Crawford never stuck by him, "The Moose" Johan Hedberg, you gotta love someone called The Moose ...and the ladies all know why :D 8-)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Re: Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Here's a few that come to mind for me:

1) Danny Sabourin. Really came on at the end of the season. Stole victories against Anaheim and San Jose in late regular season games. During the playoffs, the way he filled in for Luongo (when Luongo had that bizarre pad/bathroom break incident), THAT took guts. Sabourin made some huge saves against the Ducks.

2) Josh Green. Bit of a strange choice, but I'm a bit of a strange guy. Green was an excellent penalty killer while he was here. It's no coincidence that the Canucks had the #1 PK in 06/07. Green FILLED a very important need.

I'm too lazy to think of more, but those two jump out at me right now.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Here's a guy made a good impression.

John Garrett. Came to Vancouver in a mid season trade and had his mask ready for his first game. Broduer got injured and Garrett had to fill in (after being with the team about a week or so). He almost got the MVP, but Gretzky got something like 4 3rd period goals. Skaters would come by and ask "How much of that car you got left" after each Gretzky goal.

*Disclaimer - that's how my beer soaked brain remembers it - correct me if I'm wrong.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Artem Chubarov just popped into my head. He belongs here. And I agree Farhan, Josh Green too. It was no coincidence that our #1 PK was with him on the roster.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

I have many favourites, from 1975 to present, but I'd like to throw out the name of a Canuck that didn't get nearly enough recognition at the time, or in retrospect.

Jyrki Lumme.

The goofy looking guy with the goofy name was a huge reason the Canucks enjoyed success in the early nineties. I think we realize now how important agile and positionally sound defensemen are in the success of a team (as I sit here and admire Nik Lidstrom spin his magic), and Jyrki was our maestro, making that crisp pass out of the zone, or angling off an opposing player. I loved his wide stance skating style, rushing the puck up ice, and he had a knack of scoring a key goal or two in his time (on the road vs. Detroit might be my favourite).

He was a great complement to the Dirk, Murzyn, Diduck, Babych bruisers in 94.

Raise a glass to #21.

Cannie
Last edited by Cannie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel: