Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What bothers me about Gaunce however, is that he is like 80th overall in scoring in the OHL, miles out of the top scoring. For instance Boone Jenner I think has played the same amount of games and has like twice as much goals and assists. All the top 20 point leaders in the OHL have twice as much points as Gaunce and roughly the same amount of games.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dude he plays on a team that doesn't score very much. They rely on Malcolm Subban and good special teams to win. Think of the 03-04 Calgary Hitmen where both Andrew Ladd and Ryan Getzlaf had poor numbers. They have turned out ok.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

RoyalDude wrote:What bothers me about Gaunce however, is that he is like 80th overall in scoring in the OHL, miles out of the top scoring. For instance Boone Jenner I think has played the same amount of games and has like twice as much goals and assists. All the top 20 point leaders in the OHL have twice as much points as Gaunce and roughly the same amount of games.
I see your concern, but don't put much merit into this. As Blob stated they're a defensive-first team and rely on Subban. Gaunce is only 18 and putting up some impressive numbers, especially in the last 6 weeks. He could turn out to be a gem of a player and most conservatively put him as a solid 3rd liner. Also, you were concerned about Kassian's 100+ ranking in the AHL earlier this year (I also was a bit worried), but that doesn't seem to have affected his start to the year in the NHL. He definitely looks like he belongs in a top 6 role on this club and his AHL ranking is likely more the product of the Wolves system.

Schroeder also looked comfortable out there last night. Still a small guy, but finds himself on or around the puck more often than not. Will be interesting to see his next dozen games or so before the return of Kesler. He doesn't have the size nor strength to be a shut down type of 3rd centre. We'll see what AV and the Nucks have in store for him.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I haven't gone back and analyzed game by game but it seems since the Bulls traded for Graovac, Gaunce's point totals have looked significantly better.

Actually speaks pretty well to the diversity of his game. He can be relyed on to play a shutdown game and is great defensively, but when given the right tools to work with can more than put up decent points.

Exactly the type of player Gillis and AV love.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:What bothers me about Gaunce however, is that he is like 80th overall in scoring in the OHL, miles out of the top scoring. For instance Boone Jenner I think has played the same amount of games and has like twice as much goals and assists. All the top 20 point leaders in the OHL have twice as much points as Gaunce and roughly the same amount of games.
Gaunce started slowly, then got hurt, then came back slowly. He also plays on a team that provides him with very little offensive support.

He is on fire right now though and if he keeps playing well he will finish far ahead of last years scoring pace.

If he can finish the year at a 1.1 or 1.2 PPG pace he will be right were he should be in relation to other first rounders.

Keep in mind Gaunce was never picked to be a first line scoring type. The Canucks drafted him to be a big 2-way center who can hopefully anchor the second line.

If you can get that with a late first rounder (in a weak draft) it's a major success.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Saturday Jan 26

ECHL

Kalamazoo 3 Cincinnati 2 (OT)
Anthony did not play
Grenier 1 assist, +1
Mallet 1 goal (6th), even
Rai did not play
Sauve 1 goal (1st, and was the OT winner), +1 (selected 1st star)

NCAA

Yale 1 Colgate 4
Beattie 0 points, even
Price 0 points, +2

Maine 3 Boston College 1
Hutton did not play

Providence 3 Boston University 3 (OT)
Myron 0 points, even

Alaska-Anchorage 1 Wisconsin 2
Labate 0 points, even

QMJHL

PEI 4 Cape Breton 2
Honzik 28 saves on 31 shots

OHL

Kitchener 4 Erie 1
McEneny 1 assist, +2
Corrado 0 points, +1

London 1 Belleville 3
Gaunce 0 points, +1

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sunday Jan 27

ECHL

Bakersfield 3 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Anthony did not play
Grenier 1 assist, +1
Mallet 1 assist, +1
Rai did not play
Sauve 0 points, +1

OHL

Kitchener 3 Guelph 2
McEneny 0 points, even
Corrado 0 points, +1

McEneny GP 46 G 5 A 19 P 24 PIM 30 +8
Corrado GP 50 G 6 A 26 P 32 PIM 52 +4

S_C
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's really fucking lame that the most our draft picks are playing in the ECHL. I thought the AHL was a developmental league? Who the fuck are 90% of the players on the Wolves roster? Really surprise that Mallet did not get called up with Schroeder, Kassian and Ebbett being up here. What the fuck is going on down there?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I seem to recall reading that the Canucks were not stoked about their affiliation with the Wolves and that to some extent the franchises have philosophical differences (I'm sure if you asked Wolves ownership whether their team is in a 'developmental league' and should be playing kids rather than trying to win games they'd take issue with that).

Keep in mind our last AHL affiliate outgrew that league and bought an NHL franchise, leaving us out in the cold.. and with just one minor league dance partner.

Anyway these kids need playing time and if they're not going to get it in the AHL (Mallet for example had 0 points in 14 games, I doubt the coaches are anxious to get him big minutes on an offensively starved team) then they need to get it somewhere - and at least they are mostly thriving at that level.. Mallet has 12 in 22 playing for Kalamazoo, Archibald had 13 in 18, Grenier has 7 in 8, Sauve had that first star selection and has more goals and as many points in 3 games in the E than he did in 12 games in the A.

Generally a player appearing in the ECHL is not a good sign for their NHL potential, but these are all major project players and many of them are first year pros in what is undoubtedly a very strange season. It's still not encouraging that they aren't entrenched on their AHL club's roster but hopefully it's a blip for many of them rather than a nail in the coffin.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't recall off-hand if you do SEL games S_C, if so my apologies for the duplication or any perceived stepped on toes.

Anyway, 2011 4th round pick Ludwig Blomstrand (6'2, 218 lbs, reportedly a good skater) has moved to Almtuna in the Allsvenskan and has put up 11 goals in 19 games on one of the worst teams in that league. Just 3 assists for 14 points but still.

Apparently only Patrick Berglund has scored goals at a greater pace in that league this year, meanwhile other high end prospects Filip Forsberg (8 G, 9 A in 43 GP) and 2012 2nd rounder Pontus Aberg who like Blomstrand was born in 1993 (8 G, 7A in 47 GP) have been scoring at a lower rate.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

dbr wrote:Anyway, 2011 4th round pick Ludwig Blomstrand (6'2, 218 lbs, reportedly a good skater) has moved to Almtuna in the Allsvenskan and has put up 11 goals in 19 games on one of the worst teams in that league. Just 3 assists for 14 points but still.
I'd like to know why he was moved/traded/loaned from Djurgården to Almtuna. His production with Djurgården was nil in 14 games. Was he not being used? Coach not using his due to his age?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21651
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CFP! wrote:
dbr wrote:Anyway, 2011 4th round pick Ludwig Blomstrand (6'2, 218 lbs, reportedly a good skater) has moved to Almtuna in the Allsvenskan and has put up 11 goals in 19 games on one of the worst teams in that league. Just 3 assists for 14 points but still.
I'd like to know why he was moved/traded/loaned from Djurgården to Almtuna. His production with Djurgården was nil in 14 games. Was he not being used? Coach not using his due to his age?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21651
thefeebster wrote:RE: Ludwig Blomstrand

I have seen all his games with Djurgarden this season (warming the bench for most of them) and just a couple with Almtuna.

With Djurgarden, in the games where he played more than 5 minutes, I thought he was noticable for good and bad reasons. The good was that it was immediately visible his size on the ice compared to the other Djurgarden youngins like Aberg, Sorensen, and Wennberg. Blomstrand looks big on the ice. He skates fairly well for a big man, decent acceleration. With Djurgarden he was used on the 4th line mainly, and was put in more of a energy player kind of role. I thought he did decent there, he was above average defensively, didn't make many mistakes and created offense/sustained pressure in the off zone during his sparse time on the ice, which is generally what you'd want for a 4th line player. One other positive thing is his willingness to drive the net with the puck. Also, i'd categorize him as a shoot first kind of a player. Don't remember any pass that stands out in my mind. The bad was he took some bad penalties, and put his team shorthanded 3 times in one game. Needs to make better decisions sometimes.

With Almtuna, he is put in a different role, put on the 1st line and 1st PP. He was used in front of the net on the PP. Didn't love him there, but if I guess he is the biggest guy to screen the goalie and he doesn't shy away from the battle. In one of the games, he came out with 2 hits in the 1st 5 minutes, but did not really throw any more hits after that. I found he was less aggressive than he was with Djurgarden, needs to be move his feet more in the defensive zone. That said, he didn't look out of place on the top line either. His size/speed helps him get open and transitions well on the rush and his willingness to shoot gives them two goal scoring threats on that line.

I think we agreed, I don't see a puck hound like Hansen, does not play a consistent physical game. That's why I'd like for him to come over next season to the AHL. I think his game might be better suited on smaller ice, he would be able to get around quickly, would be able to play a more aggressive game that the AHL forces you to learn. He is physically ready for the AHL, much more so than the typical swedes.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... st57846049

Guy seems to watch more wolves/OHL/european games than I do Canucks games..
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

dbr wrote:I don't recall off-hand if you do SEL games S_C, if so my apologies for the duplication or any perceived stepped on toes.
Nah, I focus on the North American prospects for the daily game scores - and anyway, the more info the merrier in this thread!
Blomstrand is an interesting prospect, but I believe the Canucks have to sign him or lose his rights this summer (he was drafted in 2011 during the old CBA where European prospect rights were only held for 2 years), and I can't see them using a contract spot on such a longshot.

S_C
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Blomstrand is an interesting prospect, but I believe the Canucks have to sign him or lose his rights this summer (he was drafted in 2011 during the old CBA where European prospect rights were only held for 2 years), and I can't see them using a contract spot on such a longshot.

S_C
I think management will allow a number of guys to walk this summer. Namely Andrew Gordon, Bill Sweat and Prab Rai. Not to mention the ever questionable Yann Sauve. Unless I'm mistaken, both Sauve and K-Con will have to pass waivers next year, should either of them get re-signed. With Price, Corrado and Jensen turning pro next year, Gillis will need to make room for the next wave anyway.

Also, with rumblings of Aqua-man purchasing the Heat, and an unhappy relationship b/w Van and the Chi-pups, I reckon there will be a quite a few changes within this organization next summer.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

In other news, Murph re-tweeted Eddie Lack had successful hip surgery and will be out six months :shock:

Tough loss.