Justin Schultz ...who the heck...????

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Justin Schultz ...who the heck...????

Post by Fred »

Great article great opportunity

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/3/15/who-th ... in-schultz

AND from HF
Talent Analysis

Justin Schultz has been one of the finest rearguards in the nation two seasons running. He has a complete offensive game, capable of igniting plays from his own zone, carrying the puck through the neutral zone and making confident, creative plays in the offensive zone. He has shown a strong commitment to improving his defensive game and strength, although he will never be a physical force.

Future

Schultz faces all the challenges a thinner defenseman faces trying to make the leap to the NHL, as well as an adjustment to the 82-game schedule. Nonetheless, he possesses such a comprehensive skill set and sound work ethic that it hardly seems like a reach to project him as a top-four defenseman.
cheers
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Justin Schultz ...who the heck...????

Post by TDA Rum »

Lets hope he wants to sign here...it would be like getting a free first rounder....maybe Luc Bourdon destiny kind of thing...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

From all accounts he and Tim Erixon are about the best d-men not playing in the NHL right now.

Skilled, right handed, BC boy. This summer could see a real overhaul on the back end and it would be nice to land a high end pmd like Schultz.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

You have to think MG will go hard on this guy and his agent will tell him to walk away from school and walk right into a multi million dollar contract. Tanev and this guy could be the corner stone for the future
cheers
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Wow this kid sounds good, give him a good 2 way contract and play him at least 1 year with the Wolves
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovorock wrote:Wow this kid sounds good, give him a good 2 way contract and play him at least 1 year with the Wolves
If he's that coveted someone will give hm a one way deal, no question.

GM of a desperate franchise back east that has more money than they know what to do with comes to mind.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovorock wrote:Wow this kid sounds good, give him a good 2 way contract and play him at least 1 year with the Wolves
If he's that coveted someone will give hm a one way deal, no question.

GM of a desperate franchise back east that has more money than they know what to do with comes to mind.
Ok 2 way deal with high AHL pay
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovorock wrote: Ok 2 way deal with high AHL pay
Why not just give him a one way deal then?

Because he hasn't played any professional hockey I don't believe he'd have to clear waivers at all. Plus the Canucks have shown a willingness to pay players NHL salary even if they are in the AHL. We have the money to do so.

All a one way deal means is that he will receive his NHL salary even if he's playing in the minors.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovorock wrote: Ok 2 way deal with high AHL pay
Why not just give him a one way deal then?

Because he hasn't played any professional hockey I don't believe he'd have to clear waivers at all. Plus the Canucks have shown a willingness to pay players NHL salary even if they are in the AHL. We have the money to do so.

All a one way deal means is that he will receive his NHL salary even if he's playing in the minors.
He'd be a free agent, but since he's only 22 I think he'd still be looking at a 2 year ELC scenario. In that case it would be who's most willing to give him a rookie max deal ($875K for 2008 draftees + bonuses). The risk there is the $3+M cap hit that will come with him, if he sticks in the NHL...

Hopefully Gillis kicks the tires on him, but there's no way he should be giving the kid a verbal promise to play in the NHL next season. Sell him on the chance to play for a championship calibre team... if he's just after NHL money he's not the kind of character we want.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Sell him on his future development, you want to be a top calibre D for years to come...let us help you :D
cheers
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I have seen this kid play a fair amount of hockey live.

There have been several NHL caliber (or tweeners) coming through here in recent years. I think he is better than all of them.

Think of the guys that have been here recently:

Jake Gardiner, Brendan Smith, Jaime McBain, Ryan McDonough, Davis Drewiske, Tom Gilbert. These guys aren't pikers.

Schultz is a great skater, high intelligence in both zones, okay size, terrific shot (not the Weber slapper, but a quick release which I think is great to run a power play as a QB).

I really like Smith and Gardiner to have good NHL careers, but I like Schultz the most. Smith has the benefit of a mean streak, but he his offense was from high risk play, which worked fine when he was a first round talent among boys but it will remain to seen how it translates in the NHL. Gardiner, too, is a first rounder, but his offense didn't really develop until his final UW season. Clear from this season that he is a keeper, but whether he can be an effective all zones all situations guy is a little less clear. He should have a downside of Tom Gilbert, though, which in the grand scheme of things isn't bad at all.

But Schultz is the complete package that I think is separated from Gardiner in his high IQ. He almost reminded me of Rafalski when he was here in terms of IQ. Head up, good anticipation, smart shots, smooth stride (but Schultz is faster). While it is always foolish to project too much just based on the college game (I thought Skinner was going to be real good), I think I've seen enough NHL-bound players go through Wisconsin in recent years to tell the difference. I think. And I think Schultz would be an unbelievably great signing and there is never enough depth or quality to ignore a guy like Schultz. He's a guy every organization should want in the pipeline and I wouldn't be surprised if he was already beyond Tanev. And there is no WAY he is under any NHL team's radar. He's pretty widely acknowledged as one of (if not *the*) top defenseman in the NCAA, and he plays in a high profile conference for a high profile program, unlike a guy like Tanev.
Hono_rary Canadian
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

UWSaint wrote:I have seen this kid play a fair amount of hockey live.

There have been several NHL caliber (or tweeners) coming through here in recent years. I think he is better than all of them.

Yeah I got pretty excited when I heard this guy was going to go the free agent route.

From what I have been reading he is one of the best players not currently in the NHL and not just first round, but top 10 talent.

Vancouver has to be at the very top of his list, not only is it his home province but we have a long term openings on the right side of the defense as well as a current hole on the first unit power play.

There is also very little coming down the pipe in terms of prospect defenseman. Tanev is obviously here, but after him the rest are very suspect.

Would have to think we are right at the top of his list right now.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

UWSaint wrote:I have seen this kid play a fair amount of hockey live.
This post is all sorts of awesome!

Love to hear the first hand info on prospects - hopefully Schultz is interested in the Canucks - they definitely have room on the right side - right now Tanev and Corrado are the lone right side prospects with NHL upside IMO.

By the way, any further opinions on Labate?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Oooops wrong thread.
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

When MG wa asked today on 1040 of the teams interest in Justin Schultz he said he was unable to comment until FA in the summer
cheers