Justin Schultz ...who the heck...????

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Justin Schultz ...who the heck...????

Post by Lancer »

It comes down to whether Vigneault will let him play. The only reason Schultz would sign with anyone is if he gets a spot on the team that's his to lose. Gillis just has to convince Vigneault to accept some risk out there when it comes to putting Schultz out there and live with mistakes. Schultz will make mistakes and keep making them into December if he signs here, but is it really worth being atop the conference if the best defensive prospects in the system are Connaughton and Sauve when you can have Schultz for nothing but money?

It'll be interesting to see what Gillis does with the D corps because I don't think anyone there is safe beyond Hamhuis and Bieksa.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Good summary. Here's a player that if put in this years draft would certainly be in the top 10, you give up nothing and you get this high potential player for a cash deal. And lets be honest if Schultz is not taking that roster spot some other players will be paid for that spot. So the difference between for instance Rome & Schultz is basically Schultz entry level plus I suspect substantial bonuses less the salary that would be paid to Rome. If MG can't get this deal done he may well regret it for a long time.
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Lancer wrote:It comes down to whether Vigneault will let him play. The only reason Schultz would sign with anyone is if he gets a spot on the team that's his to lose. Gillis just has to convince Vigneault to accept some risk out there when it comes to putting Schultz out there and live with mistakes. Schultz will make mistakes and keep making them into December if he signs here, but is it really worth being atop the conference if the best defensive prospects in the system are Connaughton and Sauve when you can have Schultz for nothing but money?

It'll be interesting to see what Gillis does with the D corps because I don't think anyone there is safe beyond Hamhuis and Bieksa.
Hahaha - what?

If there's anything that Vigneault can be noted for, it is playing young and/or inexperienced defencemen as long as they earn his trust by executing the game plan...

Bieksa went from 16:16 under Crawford at age 24 (and was sent down to the AHL in favour of trade deadline acquisitions Carney and Weinrich), to 24:16 under Vigneault in Vigneault's first season with Vancouver 2006/07.

Edler played 22 games in 2006/07 (and 3 playoff games) at age 20, and logged 21:21 at age 21 (hey, that's weird) in 2007/08.

Luc Bourdon got 27 games and 12:52 at age 20 in 2007/08.

Aaron Rome got 15:11 at age 26 in 2009/10 despite only playing 26 regular season NHL games prior to coming to Vancouver.

Chris Tanev cracked the lineup for 29 games (13:47) in 2010/11 at age 20.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:It comes down to whether Vigneault will let him play. The only reason Schultz would sign with anyone is if he gets a spot on the team that's his to lose. Gillis just has to convince Vigneault to accept some risk out there when it comes to putting Schultz out there and live with mistakes. Schultz will make mistakes and keep making them into December if he signs here, but is it really worth being atop the conference if the best defensive prospects in the system are Connaughton and Sauve when you can have Schultz for nothing but money?

Hahaha - what?

If there's anything that Vigneault can be noted for, it is playing young and/or inexperienced defencemen as long as they earn his trust by executing the game plan...

Bieksa went from 16:16 under Crawford at age 24 (and was sent down to the AHL in favour of trade deadline acquisitions Carney and Weinrich), to 24:16 under Vigneault in Vigneault's first season with Vancouver 2006/07.

Edler played 22 games in 2006/07 (and 3 playoff games) at age 20, and logged 21:21 at age 21 (hey, that's weird) in 2007/08.

Aaron Rome got 15:11 at age 26 in 2009/10 despite only playing 26 regular season NHL games prior to coming to Vancouver.

S_C
Thank you, SC, for derailing that nonsensicle myth about AV not playing (or coaching!) young players! :mad: That has been a b.s. line put out and perpetuated by those genius Vancouver media guys like Tony 'Whiner' Gallagher and his buddies at 1040! And, like all big lies, it's proven the adage of "tell it often enough and people will believe it!" :evil:

By the way, from the tone of some of the posts, here, it sounds like some of you actually know this kid, Schultz, really well. :hmmm: I don't...so I don't have a clue just what his thoughts or ambitions are! But I sure wish he signs with the Canucks!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Orcasfan wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:

Hahaha - what?

S_C
Thank you, SC, for derailing that nonsensicle myth about AV not playing (or coaching!) young players! :mad: That has been a b.s. line put out and perpetuated by those genius Vancouver media guys like Tony 'Whiner' Gallagher and his buddies at 1040! And, like all big lies, it's proven the adage of "tell it often enough and people will believe it!" :evil:

By the way, from the tone of some of the posts, here, it sounds like some of you actually know this kid, Schultz, really well. :hmmm: I don't...so I don't have a clue just what his thoughts or ambitions are! But I sure wish he signs with the Canucks!
Touché.

If Schultz were a forward, well maybe my point would be a little more valid. That said, if you look at the players whose playing time got boosted under Vigneault, either they're high-reward/high-risk like Bieksa and Edler or the majority like Tanev and Rome who play it safe and that's about it. Then you have a high-risk/high-reward type like Ballard and he gets to ride the pine or the press box. It kind of runs the map. Maybe the fact he shoots right will give him a longer leash.

Either way, I'd rather have him for nothing but money than have to trade for his potential.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.