Best Goaltender the Canucks have ever drafted!

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Best Goaltender the Canucks have ever drafted!

Post by ClamRussel »

Well maybe (the also red headed) Hanlon was better right now but we'll see how this plays out. Amazing numbers despite playing for a veteran team....these numbers are on par w/ what he did at college. Is there anything left for Schnieder to learn in the minors? Can he really benefit from being Luongo's cheerleader? A bit of a conundrum to say the least.

AHL Player of the week: http://www.moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/753
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Best Goaltender the Canucks have ever drafted!

Post by Broda »

This is a situation where i love the ability to Loan players out in football... soccer... would be really nice to Loan him out to a team to get nhl minutes somewhere.. although yeah maybe it might not be too great to send him to a team that might be losing all the time.. might not be the right atmosphere to bring up a player, but it would be cool to have that option.
Good on yeah Schnieder!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Interesting idea Broda, not sure how much I like the risks involved, but it'd be nice to get him a little more seasoned.

I fully expect Schneider to backup Luongo next season. I'm one of the first group Clam mentioned, he has very little left to prove in the AHL, and I do firmly believe that playing under a premier goalie like Luongo can do wonders for a young goalies habits and preperation. Looking at a tender like Pogge, you have to wonder how his confidence would be better if he was given the opportunity to ease into things behind Toskela starting next season. We'll probably never find out the way they've messed with his head this year.

It might also play into our favour as well, given Luongo's uncertain contract status. I don't know if I like the idea of him going straight from AHL stud to NHL rookie as a starter if Luongo can't be re-upped.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I fully expect Schneider to backup Luongo next season. I'm one of the first group Clam mentioned, he has very little left to prove in the AHL, and I do firmly believe that playing under a premier goalie like Luongo can do wonders for a young goalies habits and preperation.
My big concern about that scenerio is he needs minutes and 10 games isn't going to cut it. What do you do?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I fully expect Schneider to backup Luongo next season. I'm one of the first group Clam mentioned, he has very little left to prove in the AHL, and I do firmly believe that playing under a premier goalie like Luongo can do wonders for a young goalies habits and preperation.
My big concern about that scenerio is he needs minutes and 10 games isn't going to cut it. What do you do?
Yeah it's a tough decision. Obviously we can't move him until Luongo signs an extension, so the hope has to be that we go deep enough this season to convince him to sign this summer. However, given his showing in the limited games he saw this season, I'm not sure what the market will be like for Schneider. Pascal Leclaire went with a second for Vermette, and he (Leclaire) had a very good NHL year last season...so I don't know what the market is for a stellar minor-league, yet completely un-proven big league goalie.

I think the requirement for him to play big minutes is somewhat mitigated by the experience of an NHL roster and preperation.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Colorado desperately needs a starting goalie... And a backup goalie... Let's see if they'll tradfe their first rounder this summer for Schneider and a second... ;)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Colorado desperately needs a starting goalie... And a backup goalie... Let's see if they'll tradfe their first rounder this summer for Schneider and a second... ;)
I'd be all for that one. Maybe the leaves want him...

I can't really see us trading him without a long-term deal with Luongo, and he does have another year after next season before he's an RFA, so we could keep him in the minors and wait for Luongo to make up his mind. I don't really like the idea of trading him without giving him some more NHL games to maybe raise his value a bit. However, if we do go the trade route, teams like Detroit might want to take a serious look at him.

I vote bring him up, let him work behind Luongo and if Lou has to play fewer games that's not a bad thing.

I have a feeling that Luongo is going to tear it up in the playoffs this season, and part of that might be that he'll have played 20ish fewer games than last season. Doing a 65-17 split might be the best thing for keeping the guy fresh later in the season.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Couldn't agree more, I think what Lu wants and what is best for Lu & the team are too different things. Lu wants to play 80 games a season, maybe all of them...admirable yet its not in the best interest of keeping him fresh and sharp for the *really important* games and thats the playoffs.