Abbotsford looking for an AHL franchise ??

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Abbotsford looking for an AHL franchise ??

Post by Fred »

From the Moose forum
just heard that CJOB was speculating whether Mike Gillis is interested in moving their affiliate team, the Moose, closer to their NHL team... This holds no hard facts, just speculation...
Abbotsford is likely to get an AHL team at some point in the next 2-3 years but the Moose would still be around, just with a different NHL affiliate. Provided it's Vancouver that is affiliated with Abbotsford. I heard Anaheim and Edmonton were both interested in that location too (and Edmonton still has that dormant franchise so that gives them the edge).
Interesting idea if they can get the AHL to move this far west
cheers
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Would help out travel with our prospects.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

The Moose have to travel alot as it is as they are very far away from alot of AHL rivals. This would cost the Canucks alot more money and the Moose would have to fly alot more.

The rest of the AHL teams would hve to fly alot more to Vancouver then bus to Abby? The Canucks would have to pay some of that I would think.

With all the injuries last year did the Canucks every play one game one or two men down? I don't think so, they always have 7 d-men and at time kept a extra one or two forwards around if they thought the need was there.

Big mistake IMO. You'll get alot more people in Winterpeg than Abbottsford.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Abbotsford isn't getting an AHL team.

ECHL maybe - to compete with the Salmon Kings.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

DavidPratt_ wrote:Abbotsford isn't getting an AHL team.

ECHL maybe - to compete with the Salmon Kings.

dp
Don't be so sure. All the western teams are not happy with the recall rule. In Philly or TO if you have to recall a player, he simply steps across the street and the recall takes place, not every team is like these two but few have outlandish travel for a recall. For the western teams it's major, not just the Canucks but all the western teams. So I understand there are more than a few wanting to establish a precedent for a AHL Western Conference. If they western teams can get a consensus they will make the move, just makes sense
cheers
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Abbotsford if a new top-tier Minor Pro league was created (or the AHL drastically changed its affiliations). Not in the next several years.
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I don't believe Abbotsford could support an AHL franchise even if it wanted to.

I can, however, see an AHL franchise in Washington.
Vancouver's in such a geographically isolated location which makes it difficult to have a nearby AHL affiliate.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

jchockey wrote:I don't believe Abbotsford could support an AHL franchise even if it wanted to.

I can, however, see an AHL franchise in Washington.
Vancouver's in such a geographically isolated location which makes it difficult to have a nearby AHL affiliate.
I read a story this weekend about the AHL playoff game in Albany going 5 OT periods. The story said there was 1,800 people at the game and only a few hundred left at the end. Albany gets 1,800 people for a playoff game and Abbotsford can't support an AHL team?

Manchester, New Hampshire has a smaller population (106.000) than Abbotsford itself (110,000). Add Chilliwack and Langley and an Abbotsford team would have almost 300,000 people to draw from within an 80 km radius. That's a bigger population than about a third of the teams in the AHL.

Why do you believe Abbotsford could not support a team?
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

It's got nothing to do about supporting a team in Abbottsford, its the travel. Albany busses the team around and the Devils pay the saleries.

Even if Abbottsford gets a team do you think the Canucks would fly them all over New York area to play two games on the weekend then fly back to BC?

I would guess the Abbottsford franchise would have to pay teams travel expenses to come this far west, is Aquaman going to do that?

Does a franchise make sence, trust me Winnipeg is pretty far west for the AHL as it is!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Alaska and Victoria have tteams in the ECHL, but they changed the schedule so only the western team play each other, and the eastern team stay back east.

I think it would take more western teams for this to happen.

Here's a map of the 3 leagues.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Jovorock wrote:It's got nothing to do about supporting a team in Abbottsford, its the travel. Albany busses the team around and the Devils pay the saleries.

Even if Abbottsford gets a team do you think the Canucks would fly them all over New York area to play two games on the weekend then fly back to BC?

I would guess the Abbottsford franchise would have to pay teams travel expenses to come this far west, is Aquaman going to do that?

Does a franchise make sence, trust me Winnipeg is pretty far west for the AHL as it is!
First, I responded to a statement that Abbotsford "could not support a team". That's all I was arguing.

But, as you said travel logistics would be a problem

But, as Cornuck wrote, Victoria and Alaska have to fly to all of their ECHL games and vice versa. And the ECHL can afford that.

If the Canucks put a team in Abbotsford, they could run one guy short on the roster all year as a call up would not have to travel a day to join the team. That would save them $450,000 minimum just in the one player's minimum salary. That would be a good start in covering travel expenses.

To me the big issue would be who would own an Abbotsford team. If Aquilini gets ownership of the team and makes a nice yearly profit, would that also make it an interesting idea? Presently, I'm guessing the Canucks do not see alot of profit out of Manitoba.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Larry Goodenough wrote: If the Canucks put a team in Abbotsford, they could run one guy short on the roster all year as a call up would not have to travel a day to join the team. That would save them $450,000 minimum just in the one player's minimum salary. That would be a good start in covering travel expenses.
A small point, but eveyone seems to think that a callup only goes to the home rink, not so.. he may have to meet up in Florida.. philly.... etc.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Abbotsford looking for an AHL franchise ??

Post by Cherry Picker »

Always nice to bring an extinct thread back to life.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... from-utica

With Utica looking like it will be New Jersey’s affiliate next year, let the speculation begin where the Canucks will move?

Maybe Abbotsford?

https://theahl.com/team-map-directory

There are more and more AHL teams in California, with Seattle’s affiliate going to Palm Springs the year after next. Somewhere south of BC makes sense, too.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

My OCD kicked in had to fix the spelling...on the subject line
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

rats19 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:23 pm My OCD ...
Must be a mild case. It took 12 years to kick in 😄