Abby Game Talk - November / December 2021

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Abby Game Talk - November / December 2021

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cull doesn't sound much different than Green.

Maybe JR will want his own minor league coach too?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Arseneau & Schilling with the 2 Abby goals.

Looks wide open for lack of a better phrase.
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:19 pm Cull doesn't sound much different than Green.

Maybe JR will want his own minor league coach too?
you read my mind Carl. I was just thinking/hoping that same thing.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hey Meg how does Sheldon Dries look? He is a small guy but he does play centre and he has decent FO stats and quite a few hits in his limited time in the NHL.

Do you think he could help the team fill in the black hole at 4C?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:40 pm Hey Meg how does Sheldon Dries look? He is a small guy but he does play centre and he has decent FO stats and quite a few hits in his limited time in the NHL.

Do you think he could help the team fill in the black hole at 4C?
He's not exactly you're prototypical fourth line NHL center but he is a star at this level. Best player on the team probably and he's a little feisty too. I guess I'd prefer a bigger guy in that role who can check and kill penalties but Dries actually did crack the Avs roster back in 18-19 and played 40 games that year in the fourth line center role so he's done it before. He also got a few games here and there with the Avs in subsequent seasons but could never stick other than in that one year. I would worry about him matching up against big NHL centers myself but I guess it's not impossible that it might work.

I will say I don't really get why a very similar but less obviously talented Nic Petan seems to be the favored child when it comes to call ups here but it could just be another instance of Benning and Green's WHL bias showing itself again. With those two gone it would not surprise me if Dries usurps Petan's role as the first call up when they need a center. And justifiably so, if that scenario. does come to fruition.
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

A good example with BB's more aggressive system is that a little guy like Hughes doesn't need to worry as much with matchups against top lines as his skills allow him and his team to disrupt on the forecheck, hound on the backcheck in the neutral zone and with more attacking in their own zone, allows the team to counter quickly... spending way less time pulling goals out of their own net.

I can see Dries perhaps not suffering as badly as he would under a Green passive system. I'd love to see how some of the other prospects and AHLers can do. Give DiGiuseppe, Lockwood, Dries a few games. Couldn't be worse than forcing Motter with Dowling and Chiasson.

As Vin likes to say, shoot these guys out of a cannon. Enough garbage in > garbage results.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:57 pm A good example with BB's more aggressive system is that a little guy like Hughes doesn't need to worry as much with matchups against top lines as his skills allow him and his team to disrupt on the forecheck, hound on the backcheck in the neutral zone and with more attacking in their own zone, allows the team to counter quickly... spending way less time pulling goals out of their own net.

I can see Dries perhaps not suffering as badly as he would under a Green passive system. I'd love to see how some of the other prospects and AHLers can do. Give DiGiuseppe, Lockwood, Dries a few games. Couldn't be worse than forcing Motter with Dowling and Chiasson.

As Vin likes to say, shoot these guys out of a cannon. Enough garbage in > garbage results.
Dries is actually pretty feisty, I'll pay closer attention to his anticipation and savvy on the pk tonight and add my impressions to the overall game thread. As I mentioned to Vin, with Green and Benning gone it's not just WHL guys getting the call up now; we see Di Giuseppe finally getting called up as soon as those two are out the door.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

A short pre game video chat with Trent Cull ahead of tonight's contest in San Diego:

https://twitter.com/abbycanucks/status/ ... 58886?s=20

*folks every webcast James Cybulski mentions that the live game audio can be heard on AbbotsfordCanucks.com but I have never been able to locate it and post a link here for you. But if you have nothing better to do and would like some background noise while you're pursuing your favorite hobby or whatever maybe go ahead and look for it. Good luck in advance :)
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Martin gets another start as Silovs continues to sit.

Rutherford needs to intervene here.

el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

One eyed Rafferty is on the blueline for San Diego. He'll be a first intermission guest of ex Utica Comets pbp man Andy Zilch on the Gulls webcast...
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Rempal puts away a pass from Petan for the early Canucks lead....
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Just as the announcer was pumping the tires of AHL scoring leader Sheldon Dries he deposits a pp rebound on a nice rush to the net by Klimovich.

2-0 Canucks
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Is Klimovich still in over his head at the AHL level?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:49 pm Is Klimovich still in over his head at the AHL level?
Not tonight Carl :D

Yeah, he was strong early on, then went into the doldrums for a while and tonight he has actually looked really sharp...

* Petan just rang one off the post on the rush...
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

And Vinnie Arseneau decks Greg Pateryn with a huge hit and Klimovich grabs the loose puck and puts by Eriksson Ek.

Great play be Vinnie there. 3-0 Abby Canucks wearing their classic Kelly green Johnny Canuck road jerseys...
el rey del mambo