2016-17 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016-17 Utica Comets

Post by SKYO »

I figure Demko will get better towards the latter half of the season, he's making some spectacular saves though recently.

https://twitter.com/WinThaGame/status/7 ... 7952286720

**few days later**
In his last three starts (and relief appearance)

- Thatcher Demko is: 3-0-0 with 0.932 SV% and 2.22 GAA
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:I figure Demko will get better towards the latter half of the season, he's making some spectacular saves though recently.

https://twitter.com/WinThaGame/status/7 ... 7952286720

**few days later**
In his last three starts (and relief appearance)

- Thatcher Demko is: 3-0-0 with 0.932 SV% and 2.22 GAA
This will be a learning year for Demko. I'm not overly fussed with his numbers, so long as there are signs of development. Schneider's numbers were good his first year with the Moose but even then he had some polishing to do.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Demko getting better asap, quick learning curve.

Virtanen not playing all that great in the AHL, stuck on the 4th line even with Travis Green.

Comets lineup tonight:

Laplante-Pelletier-Grenier
Archibald-Valk-Rendulic
Kunyk-Cassels-Carcone
Bancks-Hamilton-Virtanen

Got to break him down before you can build him up again.
Benning on Virtanen struggling in the AHL:
"He's working hard in practice, playing good in games. His two-way game is improving."
Benning on recalling Virtanen:
"We want to be patient with him. Down there, he's playing on the power-play and 15-18 minutes a night."
JV has to stay in the AHL all season, build up muscle in the summer and come to camp hungry af
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Was looking at Virtanen's stats in Utica so far. He's been down there for about a month. He's played 10 games and has 1 goal, couple assists and 8 mins in the box. Frankly this is brutal. The Canucks can spin this however they want but bottom line is he's not appearing to be progressing at all. Appears to be sulking/going through the motions and basically hoping that somehow he gets called up to Vancouver? Someone needs to light a fire under this kid and get him banging and crashing, get him to play the way the Canucks expected when they drafted him. Heck, even McCann gets sent down to the AHL by Florida and in 5 games has a goal and an assist plus 21 mins in penalties which includes a fighting major. I bet a year ago noone would have predicted McCann dropping the gloves before Virtanen at any time.

Hopefully JV gets his shit together soon.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Tanti09 wrote:Was looking at Virtanen's stats in Utica so far. He's been down there for about a month. He's played 10 games and has 1 goal, couple assists and 8 mins in the box. Frankly this is brutal. The Canucks can spin this however they want but bottom line is he's not appearing to be progressing at all. Appears to be sulking/going through the motions and basically hoping that somehow he gets called up to Vancouver? Someone needs to light a fire under this kid and get him banging and crashing, get him to play the way the Canucks expected when they drafted him. Heck, even McCann gets sent down to the AHL by Florida and in 5 games has a goal and an assist plus 21 mins in penalties which includes a fighting major. I bet a year ago noone would have predicted McCann dropping the gloves before Virtanen at any time.

Hopefully JV gets his shit together soon.
Agree. It goes to Royaldude peppering him with the Booth label. He needs to realise that the only person that will get him to the NHL is himself. Not Willie, not Benning, not Linden and not his Agent. He could be upset about being mishandled in that he should have spent last year in Junior and it would have been better for his development but he's $800k+ richer for his experience in the bigs so he can't complain too much. Now he has to focus on getting his game back and do whatever it takes to piss in Willie's cornflakes.

His agent (Kevin Epp - Titan Sports) has lots of experience with lots of great players. Hopefully he's helping Jake get into the right frame of mind.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jake just may have been a really shitty pick. He may end up being a 4th line player. I'd love for him to become an impact player and be a heat seeking missile who can pot 20 goals. I don't see that happening anytime soon, even in the AHL. Being away from Desjardins however is the best thing for the kid right now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Jake just may have been a really shitty pick. He may end up being a 4th line player. I'd love for him to become an impact player and be a heat seeking missile who can pot 20 goals. I don't see that happening anytime soon, even in the AHL. Being away from Desjardins however is the best thing for the kid right now.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head!
That last sentence might be post of the season material... :idea:
"evolution"
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Well JV scored his 2nd of the season last night on the PP. Good news on 2 fronts - one that he actually scored, second that he's getting PP time.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Jake's now scored 4 goals in 5 games.

While I was fine with parking him in the A for the rest of the year, he might very well be playing his way back on to the big club.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote:Jake's now scored 4 goals in 5 games.

While I was fine with parking him in the A for the rest of the year, he might very well be playing his way back on to the big club.
Nah let him develop that game fully for the year, and lest ye forget Willie is still at the helm in van.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Being away from Desjardins however is the best thing for the kid right now.
All the focus should be is to develop and get better for next season, the Sedins last year.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote:
ESQ wrote:Jake's now scored 4 goals in 5 games.

Nah let him develop that game fully for the year, and lest ye forget Willie is still at the helm in van.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Being away from Desjardins however is the best thing for the kid right now.
All the focus should be is to develop and get better for next season, the Sedins last year.
I'm sorry but this blaming Willie for his treatment of Jake is bullshit.

Jake came into camp unprepared and assuming he had a spot. Basically a giant fuck you to the Canucks you asked him to train in a specified manner in the off-season.

Willie, or any coach for that matter, has every right to be pissed and determine how and when he plays. This i have no issue with at all!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I wasn't blaming Desjardins. I just said it would better if Jake Virtanen was nowhere near him. I'd rather him be developed by his future NHL coach this season .
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I wasn't blaming Desjardins. I just said it would better if Jake Virtanen was nowhere near him. I'd rather him be developed by his future NHL coach this season .
You wanna trade him to Ottawa?

:mrgreen:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

:D
Aaronp18 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I wasn't blaming Desjardins. I just said it would better if Jake Virtanen was nowhere near him. I'd rather him be developed by his future NHL coach this season .

"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote:

I don't mind Crow. At least he won't trap it up and drive fans away like Wiwie and Jarvis. That said I doubt this owner brings him back. I believe Green will be here next season.