Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by Iceman2014 »

I believe someone did note Fox, Mallet, Valk etc went down to Kalamazoo so they could get prime minutes. The Wings are off to a great start and have one of the top offences (yes, it's early but a positive). If Fox gets his skating figured out he would be a grade A prospect. It's his first year in the pros so maybe he'll get some extra training/work on skating.

Utica seems to be off to a great start too and scoring is coming from all over. I heard Horvat's first game wasn't great but I haven't heard anything about him since his first game.

I still think most of these guys should be left to develop and not pushed into the NHL. The Canucks may want to make some trades over pushing guys up from the minors. Honestly, the current Canucks roster will not do well in the playoffs in my opinion. I am all for dealing a couple of vets and tanking this season. Tank Nation year 2!
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

i just noticed that Markstrom has had 3 straight shutouts and has allowed one goal in 4 games. Looks like his game is starting to come around.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rayxor wrote:i just noticed that Markstrom has had 3 straight shutouts and has allowed one goal in 4 games. Looks like his game is starting to come around.
Yes, apparently Markstrom has played lights out.

What's up with Grenier? 3G, 2A in four games played. Anybody ever seen this kid play? All I know is apparently he has a great shot and pretty good offensive awareness with some questions on the defensive side.

Cassels is averaging almost 2 points per game so far (26pts in 14GP).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:
Rayxor wrote:i just noticed that Markstrom has had 3 straight shutouts and has allowed one goal in 4 games. Looks like his game is starting to come around.
Yes, apparently Markstrom has played lights out.

What's up with Grenier? 3G, 2A in four games played. Anybody ever seen this kid play? All I know is apparently he has a great shot and pretty good offensive awareness with some questions on the defensive side.

Cassels is averaging almost 2 points per game so far (26pts in 14GP).
Here's a blurb from an HFBoards regular that has Comets season tickets:

Alexandre Grenier (23) RW 68 GP 17 goals and 22 assists for 39 points. Alex has been the topic of many posts from many posters throughout the season. Most of his goals came in the first half of the season. When Jensen caught fire, Alex went cold. He is a very talented player who often appears lost. he can't handle making a mistake and heads straight to the bench at the first chance after he makes one. He is lost in the defensive end of the ice. in the offensive zone he is Jeckyl and Hyde. One shift he grinds, bashes, and produces scoring chances for himself and his mates. The next couple shifts he kind of floats looking for just the right moment to receive a glorious chance that usually never occurs. Then he goes missing for a few shifts. The guy has great skills, but seems to be missing the hockey IQ for when and how to use them.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Do we really want two Zack Kassian's? :P I guess we have a spare if the first doesn't work out.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Markstrom closing in on record books

Apparently Markstrom is about 2 scoreless periods from breaking the AHL shutout streak record. Once held by Johnny Bower (!) but since broken in 2012 by Barry Brust, the current record holder.

Utica next plays on Wednesday Oct 29.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Here's a blurb from an HFBoards regular that has Comets season tickets:

Alexandre Grenier (23) RW 68 GP 17 goals and 22 assists for 39 points. Alex has been the topic of many posts from many posters throughout the season. Most of his goals came in the first half of the season. When Jensen caught fire, Alex went cold. He is a very talented player who often appears lost. he can't handle making a mistake and heads straight to the bench at the first chance after he makes one. He is lost in the defensive end of the ice. in the offensive zone he is Jeckyl and Hyde. One shift he grinds, bashes, and produces scoring chances for himself and his mates. The next couple shifts he kind of floats looking for just the right moment to receive a glorious chance that usually never occurs. Then he goes missing for a few shifts. The guy has great skills, but seems to be missing the hockey IQ for when and how to use them.
Thanks Dave, that's about what I've read before, but can't say I have ever seen Grenier play a shift. Seems like an intriguing prospect, but if he can't develop some consistency at the AHL level he has no hope in the NHL.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Nice little overview on how some of our prospects are doing through the 27th:

Canucks Future Watch
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Valk named CCM ECHL Player of the Month
http://echl.com/valk-named-ccm-echl-pla ... th-p194568
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Good start...

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato
twitter_bird.png
#Canucks prospect Patrick McNally had two assists for Harvard tonight. Now has four points (2-2-4) in two games this season.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

just a quick note about the game last night between Boston College and Boston U. That Eichel is the real deal and so is Hanfin (sp). Both of them are outstanding skaters and Eichel uses his size really well. However, most impressive was the outlet passes by Hanfin and his absolutely effortless skating. These guys are both franchise players as is McDavid. If the Coil continue to tank and are in the running for #1 I really urge them to take the kid on D. Wow! He is special. Another player to watch is a kid named Fitzgerald who looks like a natural scorer.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Virtanen has gone cold the last few games after starting out on fire. Maybe the rust is setting in after the adrenaline of playing again wore off

Looks like McCann is injured or something, hasn't played for a couple games

Cassels is still racking up the points

This Canadian kid in OHL - Mitchell Marner must be climbing the rankings for the up coming draft, he sure is racking up the points. Same with Merkely in WHL. Apparently Barzal is injured
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote:just a quick note about the game last night between Boston College and Boston U. That Eichel is the real deal and so is Hanfin (sp). Both of them are outstanding skaters and Eichel uses his size really well. However, most impressive was the outlet passes by Hanfin and his absolutely effortless skating. These guys are both franchise players as is McDavid. If the Coil continue to tank and are in the running for #1 I really urge them to take the kid on D. Wow! He is special. Another player to watch is a kid named Fitzgerald who looks like a natural scorer.
Is this Fridays game? I heard that the 2 of them didn't have great games
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

RoyalDude wrote:
damonberryman wrote:just a quick note about the game last night between Boston College and Boston U. That Eichel is the real deal and so is Hanfin (sp). Both of them are outstanding skaters and Eichel uses his size really well. However, most impressive was the outlet passes by Hanfin and his absolutely effortless skating. These guys are both franchise players as is McDavid. If the Coil continue to tank and are in the running for #1 I really urge them to take the kid on D. Wow! He is special. Another player to watch is a kid named Fitzgerald who looks like a natural scorer.
Is this Fridays game? I heard that the 2 of them didn't have great games
It is true that neither had a decisive game but you can see the talent. Be nice to get one.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
Valk named CCM ECHL Player of the Month
http://echl.com/valk-named-ccm-echl-pla ... th-p194568
Just promoted to the Comets.
http://www.uticacomets.com/curtis-valk- ... he-comets/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy