Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by BladesofSteel »

Should be good incentive for Fox to keep working hard as he learns to pro game.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

With DeFazio and Jensen in Vancouver, call ups are not surprising and could be indicative of Vancouver's wounded being more serious than fans suspect..
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Injuries are inevitable. With one game in the next 7 days, now is a good time for rest and recalls.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hey gang, just a quick, general question. I was actually checking out the Kalamazoo Wings site and noticed some very intriguing prospects down there that I've never heard of. Ok, maybe intriguing is a bit much but I am curious. I am guessing that club is a joint team with the Blue Jackets and Canucks? Am I right? I was wondering about guys like Isaac MacLeod, Josh Brittain and so on. Wings are one large team.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato · Nov 21
#Canucks prospect Patrick McNally with a goal and assist for Harvard tonight. Now has 11 points (4-7-11) in eight games.

#Canucks prospect Thatcher Demko made 22 saves as Boston College beat Maine 4-1 tonight. Demko is now 7-4-0 with a 2.09 GAA and .921 SV%.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I hadn't heard that Mackenzie Stewart was deaf... here's another article from 2012.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

TDA Rum wrote:Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato · Nov 21
#Canucks prospect Patrick McNally with a goal and assist for Harvard tonight. Now has 11 points (4-7-11) in eight games.

#Canucks prospect Thatcher Demko made 22 saves as Boston College beat Maine 4-1 tonight. Demko is now 7-4-0 with a 2.09 GAA and .921 SV%.
Good on Demko but amazing news on McNally. It was assumed his scandal/lost season derailed a very promising career at a crucial time. Sounds like he's getting back on track after a rather subpar 13/14 season.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cole Cassells suspended for ten games for a hit to the head causing injury.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/vide ... 3cebba58d7
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ugly hit. Suspension well deserved.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Good to see McNally having a good year.

Subban looks to be putting together an excellent season (24GP, 12G, 13A, 25Pts).

Virtanen seems to have picked up his point pace (14GP, 5G, 11A, 16Pts).

Hutton is not putting up the kind of points he did last year (12GP, 2G, 3A), but University of Maine sucks this year and he is still getting a ton of shots on goal (31 through 12 games).

McCann seems to be having a quiet year. Only 17 points in 15 games. Not really a great sign, but I'm going to assume he has been having trouble with mono all year.

And of course, Cassels has continued his torrid pace (22GP, 12G, 27A, 39Pts). The suspension is going to hurt, but shouldn't really affect his career trajectory in any way whatsoever. It will mean he is pretty much guaranteed to not play in the World Juniors.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote:Ugly hit. Suspension well deserved.
At some point that d-man has to make himself more aware. Putting on the blinders, showing off your numbers, and daring the opposing team to crank you is never a good choice if you value your health. Not a very disciplined play on Cassels' part, but I don't mind him playing on the edge in junior, so long as he can dial it in as he matures.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Funny, I didn't think the hit was that bad. Penalty worthy and perhaps a suspension but not 10 games worth. Then again it is junior. In the NHL he gets 2-4 games for that.

He can still be named by Dec 15 to the world juniors just can't play until his suspension is up.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The hit was unnecessarily hard, the primary point of contact was the head. It also came from the blindside and was a partial check from behind...exactly the type of hit people who care about brains are trying to get out of the game. That type of hit is the reason so many parents don't want their kids in hockey these days. Cassels was making a big hit to make a big hit, not to separate the player from the puck.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

herb wrote:Good to see McNally having a good year.
McCann seems to be having a quiet year. Only 17 points in 15 games. Not really a great sign, but I'm going to assume he has been having trouble with mono all year.
Didn't he just have mono? That can really suck your energy. Not surprised he would start slow.

*I will try to read the entire sentence next time.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote:The hit was unnecessarily hard, the primary point of contact was the head. It also came from the blindside and was a partial check from behind...exactly the type of hit people who care about brains are trying to get out of the game. That type of hit is the reason so many parents don't want their kids in hockey these days. Cassels was making a big hit to make a big hit, not to separate the player from the puck.
Sure, it was a reckless hit. But buddy who got smoked did the shoulder check, knew he had pressure before he even entered the faceoff circle, put his back to the play, and instead of either moving the puck or taking it himself (ie taking it around the net himself or firing it on his forehand to the other side) he STOPPED and stared at it in his feet. Well sorry bud, but you just set yourself up to get cranked. It's never a good idea to put your health in your opponents hands, and this kid basically hung a sign on himself that said "Concuss me".

It's not beer league, you need to be ready for contact. I'm okay with sending messages and delivering suspensions for hits that end up targeting the head, and it was a reckless hit, but there are far more dirty plays that happen on a regular basis and the kid who got smoked needs to take better care of himself. If I'm the Canucks I have no issue with the way Cassels plays the game.

I mean, it's not like he pulled a Kassian: