Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:
herb wrote:Hutton has signed a three year ELC with the Canucks.

Sounds like he may report to Utica shortly. Hutton instantly becomes our best signed prospect (not counting Corrado and Clendening - are they really prospects any more?).

Hopefully Subban gets signed soon.
I dunno about Clendening. He can pass but he can't skate.

Don't see him amounting to a helluva lot in the NHL.
I think I will be pretty happy if two of Hutton, Sautner, Pedan, Subban and Tryamkin ever end up playing significant NHL minutes. Corrado and Clendening each have maybe a 50/50 chance at this point.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Sounds like he may report to Utica shortly. Hutton instantly becomes our best signed prospect (not counting Corrado and Clendening - are they really prospects any more?).

I think I will be pretty happy if two of Hutton, Sautner, Pedan, Subban and Tryamkin ever end up playing significant NHL minutes. Corrado and Clendening each have maybe a 50/50 chance at this point.
Corrado looks like an NHLer now to my eye. His play is so smooth and he's putting up (small sample) possession numbers equating to a second pairing guy, so he's a pretty high percentage prospect. I agree about the rest. One would be acceptable, two would be good.

If Corrado makes it and we get two more out of the deal, a veteran Edler, and Tanev makes five NHL defensemen, five years from now. Weber, Stanton and Sbisa are all young, so there's a decent chance one of the three emerges as something more than a third pairing guy in that time period as well, if we choose to keep them. It looks a lot better than the situation a year ago where it seemed that we'd have nothing to replace Hamhuis and Bieksa in that time period. The age-old question of "is Ohlund Edler Hamhuis Tanev good enough to be a true #1?" remains.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Agreed about Corrado, but I fear he may be getting lost in the shuffle. He was just re-assigned to Utica and missed a glorious opportunity to step up and prove he belongs when he got injured in February.

All of a sudden there is a log jam on the right side with Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, Weber and Corrado. Sbisa has played the right side as well. Weber has been good, and Clendening was just brought in, so I'm not sure where Corrado slots in next year.

Sbisa's spot should be up for grabs, although I've read that Canucks brass thinks he is having a better second half. A couple of months ago I would have said let Weber walk, but then he went and had that really good stint with Hamhuis when we had all those injuries in February.

________
Hutton has signed a professional try out contract with Utica, and will be making his pro debut soon.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote: Sbisa's spot should be up for grabs, although I've read that Canucks brass thinks he is having a better second half. A couple of months ago I would have said let Weber walk, but then he went and had that really good stint with Hamhuis when we had all those injuries in February.
The qualifying offer is still too rich for my blood.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

One thing about mental errors is they can be worked-on and reduced, unlike size and skill. Is this how management may be thinking?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rumsfeld wrote:

This^
I thought we had a decent up and comer in Forsling then we go and trade him for a guy who is a lot closer to bust than breakout.
Sure its still early but he hasn't shown much at all in Canucks colours. This might end up being a pretty good fuck up by Jimmy
If you need air...call it in
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

CHL playoffs well under way.
Virtanen has really struggled the past month to contribute on the score sheet, and now seems to be a non factor against Sam Reinhart and the Kootenay Ice.

On the farm, Hunter seems to have found some confidence, scoring five goals in the last five games. The Comets clinch a spot in the playoffs with last nights victory, currently sitting atop the Western Conference.

Sven: 7G 6A 3PPG +6 in 12GP since leaving Calgary farm :thumbs:
Jensen: fallen off face of the earth, team worst -16 :shock:
Depth guys Friesen, Grenier and Eriksson(in Markstrom's absence) have all come on strong over the past month. Doing all they can to earn a second pro contract with Vancouver.

Travis Green has done a terrific job in his sophomore season with the Comets. :thumbs:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

This^
I thought we had a decent up and comer in Forsling then we go and trade him for a guy who is a lot closer to bust than breakout.
Sure its still early but he hasn't shown much at all in Canucks colours. This might end up being a pretty good fuck up by Jimmy
Yup, sure is.

JB has Clendenning playing top minutes under Travis Green on the farm. Only 3 games in, but he's spent a month with Vancouver, and continues to learn the system while playing top minutes for Utica.

He's put up very impressive numbers in the 'A' so far, way too soon to judge.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

BladesofSteel wrote:CHL playoffs well under way.
Virtanen has really struggled the past month to contribute on the score sheet, and now seems to be a non factor against Sam Reinhart and the Kootenay Ice.

On the farm, Hunter seems to have found some confidence, scoring five goals in the last five games. The Comets clinch a spot in the playoffs with last nights victory, currently sitting atop the Western Conference.

Sven: 7G 6A 3PPG +6 in 12GP since leaving Calgary farm :thumbs:
Jensen: fallen off face of the earth, team worst -16 :shock:
Depth guys Friesen, Grenier and Eriksson(in Markstrom's absence) have all come on strong over the past month. Doing all they can to earn a second pro contract with Vancouver.

Travis Green has done a terrific job in his sophomore season with the Comets. :thumbs:
On Virtanen....gotta wonder if he is hurt

On Sven....apparently he deked the opposition goalie out of his skates on his second goal last night. Can you imagine the Flamer fans if we play Calgary in the playoffs and Sven sticks it to them. Seems like Travis Green was all the Swiss boy needed.

On Forsling....he is a 5 foot 9 or 10 inch Swede who has no rough to his game. Maybe it will be an error but I doubt it
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

McCann and Cassels just keep on putting up points in the OHL. Really excited to see how Cassels' game transitions to the AHL next season.

Hunter Shinkaruk has goals in five straight games, with six goals in his last 8 games. Dude is hot, finally. Some of those goals were pretty slick (highlights in the link below).

Baertschi may never pan out on the Canucks, but he has been a fantastic pick up for the Comets. 12GP - 7G - 6A - 13PTS

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2015/04/01 ... -playoffs/
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Cole Cassels is turning into a stud prospect. He has moved up to our best centre prospect. He and McCann seem to be destined for top 6 roles but it is WAY too early to say for sure.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/vancouver_canucks/

I'm not too concerned about Virtanen. He's still very young and should spend next year in junior as well. There is no need to rush him. Canucks are getting crowded at forward.

It's too bad we didn't get to see Sanguenetti or Grenier play with the Canucks. I find them both very intriguing and they have size.

We have a lot of prospects ready to jump to the Canucks next year. I am guessing Benning will have to do a lot of dealing this summer and make room. No, nobody is gifted a spot but they kinda are when they can't be sent down for fear of being claimed on waivers (Baertschi, Clendenning, Vey and I think Jensen all fall into this category).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Iceman2014 wrote: can't be sent down for fear of being claimed on waivers (Baertschi, Clendenning, Vey and I think Jensen all fall into this category).
Nope, Jensen is waiver-exempt until the 2016-17 season. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Anyone know if Benning is going to keep Sanguenetti or even mentions him. He never got a crack at playing with the Canucks. Just practice. Also a wondering if Alex Grenier is in Benning's plans. That guy seems to get a lot of greasy goals - exactly what the Canucks need. DeFazio is another guy who fits that bill. Size, scoring in the AHL and some toughness.

I think it's time to move out a lot of the core and other vets.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Virtanen seems to be doing okay in the playoffs thus far. Pretty decent April, 4G 7A 11 Pts +6 and 20 Pims in 9 games, including 2 Goals (2nd one sent the game to OT where they finished off Willie's Tigers). He sits 11th in the WHL playoff scoring.

Cassels currently 5th in OHL playoff scoring.

McCann and the Soo are up 1-0 on McDavid's Otters, Game 2 goes tonight. McCann 25th in OHL playoff scoring.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Some select regular season Comets stats (GP/G/A/P):

Grenier 67/17/26/43 (last season - 68/17/22/39)
Baertschi 15/7/8/15 with Utica, 51/15/25/40 with Adirondack (last season - 41/13/16/29)
Shinkaruk 74/16/15/31
Gaunce 74/11/18/29
Jensen 59/14/14/28 (last season - 54/15/6/21)
Clendening 11/1/4/5 with Utica, 38/1/12/13 with Rockford (Last season - 74/12/47/59)
Pedan 42/3/11/14 with Utica
Corrado 35/7/9/16 (Last season - 59/6/11/17)
Kenins 36/5/7/12

Not too much you can draw from the stats, other than nobody really lit up the scoresheets or anything.

Grenier was pretty consistent. I wonder how his defensive game has progressed (reportedly he was far from a two-way player last year).

Baertschi had a pretty good season. It's now or never for the guy.

Shink and Gaunce quietly helped their team offensively. Shinkaruk's output really increased as the season wound down, and he got a goal and an assist in the Comet's first playoff game.

Jensen - meh. Damn disappointing for a first rounder.

Clendening really piled up the points last season. That did not transfer over to Utica, but I understand ice time was an issue (which not tracked by AHL stats, unfortunately).

Corrado was consistent from a points perspective. Make or break time for him and Clendening next camp.