Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Something we are kind of lacking up front is forwards with speed who have wicked shots. They will be welcome additions
Amen, something we haven't been able to enjoy for a long time.

Virtanen is going to be a beauty. A take no shit, faster version of Jeff Carter, if you ask me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ben Hutton 5th Rnd 2012 & Patrick McNally 4th Rnd 2010 Nominated for the 2015 Hobey Baker award.

You can go online and cast one vote per day.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Seems odd that the Canucks haven't signed Hutton yet. I believe if we don't sign him this year he can pull a Justin Schultz. I could be wrong.

Is McNally signed?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dude.. you can't sign NCAA players (or else they stop being NCAA players).

So no, McNally isn't signed. Hutton isn't signed, maybe they try it this offseason. He has to go four full years after his draft before he can hit free agency, so if they don't sign him it's back to Maine (and the summer of 2016 is the nail biter, although I would think a big money franchise that produces tons of defensemen but happens to have a huge gap right now would be a pretty ideal place for a 22 year old who wants to break into the NHL).

Justin Schultz was able to pull a Justin Schultz without playing the four full years at Wisconsin because he actually played another year of Junior B after being drafted.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Hockey's McNally Injured, Out For Regular Season At Least
Injury to Star Defenseman May Hurt Crimson’s Title Chances
By MICHAEL D. LEDECKY, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER5 days ago
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services
McNally Out SARAH P REID
Junior defenseman Patrick McNally confirmed Thursday night that he will not play for the remainder of the regular season.
In a major blow to the Harvard men’s ice hockey team, top defenseman Patrick McNally ’15-16 confirmed Thursday night that he will not play for the rest of the regular season after sustaining a lower body injury during a game last week.

“I will be out for probably the remainder of the season, but there is a chance that I could be back for the [ECAC Hockey] playoffs,” McNally said on Thursday night.

Currently ranked fourth in the nation, Harvard will compete in the ECAC Tournament in March and is on pace to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

McNally Orr AUDREY I ANDERSON
In an away game against Cornell last Friday, McNally limped off the ice with the help of a trainer after making incidental contact with a Cornell player near the Harvard goal.

“When my left leg went up in the air, I didn’t really have anything else to support it other than my right leg, which kind of buckled underneath me,” McNally said.

McNally declined to disclose the precise nature of the injury, but if any of his knee ligaments are damaged or torn, he could face several months of rehabilitation.

That could mean the end of McNally’s collegiate career. The Long Island native currently ranks second among all NCAA Division I defensemen in points per game. An academic junior playing in his fourth season with the Crimson, McNally will not know whether he will be eligible to play next season before the end of this academic year.

McNally withdrew from the College alongside co-captain and fellow defenseman Max Everson ’15-16 after the first nine games of the 2012-2013 season. The two returned to play after the first nine games of the 2013-2014 season in hopes of recouping their preceding year of athletic eligibility.

McNally said Thursday that he is currently focused on rehabilitation and does not know his eligibility status beyond this year.

After finishing at the bottom of its conference the last two seasons, Harvard has been resurgent this year. The team is currently second in the ECAC standings and is tied for third in the national PairWise rankings, which are a strong predictor of selection to the NCAA Tournament.

McNally, a draft pick of the NHL’s Vancouver Canucks, has played a critical role in that success with a breakout year, logging major minutes while scoring more than three times as many points (16) as the next highest-scoring defenseman on the Crimson roster.

The loss has immediate implications for Harvard’s hopes to win its first Beanpot—an annual tournament between Harvard, Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern which begins this Monday at TD Garden—since 1993. It also hurts Harvard’s chances for a postseason run and a national title shot.

“‘Devastating’ I guess is the first word that comes to mind,” said Joshua Kummins, a writer for SB Nation College Hockey.

Josh Seguin, an ECAC analyst for College Hockey News, also said the loss was significant.

“Pat McNally did everything for Harvard from that blue line,” Seguin said. “He gave them goals; he was really having a resurgent season. It will be a tough loss, but I think Harvard has enough depth to get by, to get through it.”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sucks for McNally but I don't see where he would have been signed anyways . He has hardly played the last three years and is soon to be 24 .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Jared McCann has just moved into the top 15 of OHL scoring. I am beginning to see why the kid rated himself higher in the last draft. We may have gotten some love from the Hockey gods on this one :drink:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

damonberryman wrote:Jared McCann has just moved into the top 15 of OHL scoring. I am beginning to see why the kid rated himself higher in the last draft. We may have gotten some love from the Hockey gods on this one :drink:

He didn't drop due to lack of skill. There were all kinds of rumours about off ice attitude issues. He has been described as cocky and arrogant. But I really have no idea what the story is. I remember draft day the Canucks were giddy he fell to them. They didn't expect him to be available. I'm hoping he has an ax to grind the rest of his career!
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

There's something that's been really bothering me and I need to get it off my chest. Here goes. Humor me here, people.

"Comet Tales" would be a way cooler name for this forum.

Because, you know, comets have tails.

And this forum is for stories (or "tales", if you will) that pertain to the Utica Comets.

So it would be more clever, yeah? I suggest we put it to a poll vote.

Whew. Well I can't speak for you guys but I feel better.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

dbr wrote:So what is the "Wolf Howls" board going to be renamed?

"Comet Tails Tales"
"Comet Scrubs"
In a nod to the THINKER, "Comet Howls"
"Comet Streams"

Comet... something train related.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9816&p=175859#p175859
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and in an ode to Santa, their puckbunnys will be known as Vixen Comet Cupids.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:There's something that's been really bothering me and I need to get it off my chest. Here goes. Humor me here, people.

"Comet Tales" would be a way cooler name for this forum.

Because, you know, comets have tails.

And this forum is for stories (or "tales", if you will) that pertain to the Utica Comets.

So it would be more clever, yeah? I suggest we put it to a poll vote.

Whew. Well I can't speak for you guys but I feel better.
In a year from now... when the "farm team" becomes a true farm team

... we can call it the Abbotsford Stink! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Strangelove wrote: ... we can call it the Abbotsford Stink! :thumbs:
Morning coffee snorted everywhere.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hutton has signed a three year ELC with the Canucks.

Sounds like he may report to Utica shortly. Hutton instantly becomes our best signed prospect (not counting Corrado and Clendening - are they really prospects any more?).

Hopefully Subban gets signed soon.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:Hutton has signed a three year ELC with the Canucks.

Sounds like he may report to Utica shortly. Hutton instantly becomes our best signed prospect (not counting Corrado and Clendening - are they really prospects any more?).

Hopefully Subban gets signed soon.
I dunno about Clendening. He can pass but he can't skate.

Don't see him amounting to a helluva lot in the NHL.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society