2014-15 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014-15 Utica Comets

Post by ukcanuck »

Fly by post...

Lack/ Markstrom for 2015/16

Miller salad dump, who cares where or for how much.

Don't give a damn about a return on a former free agent.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just a minor clarification Clam. He didn't get back to back game seven shutouts. He did get back to back series clinching shutouts though. One was game seven, the other game six.

Still your points are all the same valid. Backing up Miller may not allow him those recovery games as you suggest. He needs t leRn the NHL game, he needs the confidence of his coach to rebound. Bishop has the full backing of his coach and as such as also displayed that ability to bounce back and win after a stinker.

I'm not sure how well Markstrom develops under WD. Not without some type of mandate that he gets x games as the back up. Lack sat far too often and for too long of stretches. Markstrom needs a chance to play 30+ games as a backup and it's hard to see him getting that if Miller stays healthy.
That is correct, forgot the last series went in 6. Nothing like putting an exclamation mark like that on a series.

Willie's deployment of his backup has been deplorable so far. Lack was obviously a solid choice yet he rode the pine while Miller was healthy. Perhaps if he takes a page from his "4-line" in relation to the tenders he'd have a fresher starter & a more engaged no. 2. A 60/40 split should be reasonable and go w/ the hot hand.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

ukcanuck wrote:Fly by post...

Lack/ Markstrom for 2015/16

Miller salad dump, who cares where or for how much.

Don't give a damn about a return on a former free agent.
I'm with you UK. Lack's numbers were better and he costs a fraction of what Miller does. We weren't sure if Lack was the man for the future but he seems to have done enough (in my eyes at least). Markstrom then to get a decent number of games.

Trade Miller, it won't be the first or last time somebody is flipped quickly, especially if outperformed.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

ClamRussel wrote: Willie's deployment of his backup has been deplorable so far. Lack was obviously a solid choice yet he rode the pine while Miller was healthy. Perhaps if he takes a page from his "4-line" in relation to the tenders he'd have a fresher starter & a more engaged no. 2. A 60/40 split should be reasonable and go w/ the hot hand.
To be fair, remember that Lack, when starter duties were handed to him last year, began to struggle. His first few starts this year were mediocre at best while while Miller was among the league leaders in wins over the first couple of months. Any rookie coach on a team that is trying to get back into the playoffs would be riding the veteran in this case over the 2nd year goalie whose NHL credentials are still under scrutiny.

It wasn't until the Miller injuries that Lack really showed he could be an NHL starter.

Check the numbers. He was given the starter role down the stretch both years. The numbers tell an interesting story: (March and April only)

13-14
GP W-L GAA SV%
17 7-9-1 2.87 0.893

14-15
19 11-5-2 2.37 0.926

Now, nobody will say Lack was the reason for last years collapse. There were plenty of other reasons that we all know about.

The obvious thing is that if we had the 2013-14 Lack again this year, we don't make the playoffs.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Rayxor wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Willie's deployment of his backup has been deplorable so far. Lack was obviously a solid choice yet he rode the pine while Miller was healthy. Perhaps if he takes a page from his "4-line" in relation to the tenders he'd have a fresher starter & a more engaged no. 2. A 60/40 split should be reasonable and go w/ the hot hand.
To be fair, remember that Lack, when starter duties were handed to him last year, began to struggle. His first few starts this year were mediocre at best while while Miller was among the league leaders in wins over the first couple of months. Any rookie coach on a team that is trying to get back into the playoffs would be riding the veteran in this case over the 2nd year goalie whose NHL credentials are still under scrutiny.

It wasn't until the Miller injuries that Lack really showed he could be an NHL starter.

Check the numbers. He was given the starter role down the stretch both years. The numbers tell an interesting story: (March and April only)

13-14
GP W-L GAA SV%
17 7-9-1 2.87 0.893

14-15
19 11-5-2 2.37 0.926

Now, nobody will say Lack was the reason for last years collapse. There were plenty of other reasons that we all know about.

The obvious thing is that if we had the 2013-14 Lack again this year, we don't make the playoffs.
Actually, that's not being fair. When Lack was handed the reins last year the team was in full get-Torts-fired-Gong-Show mode. The other factor last year is Lack was injured yet continued to play through it...while being ridiculously overplayed by Torts. After a slow start this year, Lack's play improved greatly & certainly warranted more starts than he was getting while Miller was becoming a bit more inconsistent. Playing Miller in back-to-backs while a solid tender like Lack was ready to go was just poor coaching. It's not like there was a drop off between the goaltenders. Miller even admitted he was fatigued at several times...remember the reason for not overplaying the Twins & keeping them fresh? Goalies are different but there is also smart deployment when you have goaltending depth and it's a long 82 game season.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Huge experience for the kids - continues tomorrow, go Comets!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:LOL
How would you develop players Tops?

It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and make comments about other peoples posts.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:
Topper wrote:LOL
How would you develop players Tops?

It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and make comments about other peoples posts.
I have said it many times, they earn their way into and through the lineup.

In recent history what prospects have been gifted time and how has that worked out?

Hodgson was gifted offensive zone starts to hide his appalling defensive play in the infamous pump and dump.

Jensen was gifted duty along side the Sedins and is now on the outs with management because of his lack of effort and understanding of the 200' game.

Vey was gifted 3rd line C duty despite being physically over matched in every area of the ice. I do think he earned the 1st unit PP at the start of the season and was very effective with a quick release shot early until opponents countered and the Canucks were slow to react.

Works well hey reef.

Folks seem more intent on coddling to fragile egos in a welfare state handout friendly lineup than building a winning, dedicated, hard working lineup.

Think if Horvat had struggled as a 19 yr old rookie, how loud would the
1) "it because he plays with garbage linemates"
2) "he needs 2nd unit PP QB time on the half wall"
3) "how can a rookie learn without top six players around him?"
chants be?

Now we are hearing that rookie goaltenders need to backup their bad efforts with a quick second start.

The regular season doesn't have practice games scattered throughout the season for these experiments

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:Vey was gifted 3rd line C duty despite being physically over matched in every area of the ice. I do think he earned the 1st unit PP at the start of the season and was very effective with a quick release shot early until opponents countered and the Canucks were slow to react.
Hypocrisy extraordinaire.
Topper wrote:Now we are hearing that rookie goaltenders need to backup their bad efforts with a quick second start.
Its not like its without precedent. The backup needs to play at some point and benching a guy for a dozen games after a shaky start is the opposite of building confidence. The media were wondering aloud at the time if WD might throw Markstrom back in there the next game to rebound. What W did is akin to benching & scratching a rookie skater because of mistakes. Everyone is prone to bad games, the Canucks are rebuilding/retooling and there will be a transitionary period.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Comets lose 3-2 in OT. Out played most of the game by the queens. Markstrom huge in the game.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Well Tops what do you expect from a rookie, a mistake free year?

Of course a rookie will make mistakes, not taking into account effort or coming into camp ready, a rookie will always make mistake and for the first season or 2 they do need to be handled differently. There are times in a game where a rookie can be given a chance to play on the PP or PK, a good coach knows when this time comes.

You look at the potential of a player and you build them up, many are probably pretty damn fragile when they get out of juniors where they were able to dominate especially at the age of 19/20 when they are up against kids 2 - 3 years younger and smaller. Unless you are a generational talent you need to be almost always "managed" the first couple of seasons.

There is nothing wrong with giving a rookie some safe time to learn different aspects of the game, it does not mean they are gifted this time. You wouldn't give it to a potential 4th line player but anyone drafted in the top 10 should be at least provided the opportunity to develop.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:
Topper wrote:Vey was gifted 3rd line C duty despite being physically over matched in every area of the ice. I do think he earned the 1st unit PP at the start of the season and was very effective with a quick release shot early until opponents countered and the Canucks were slow to react.
Ooooo, such big words, unfortunate you have no idea what they mean or how to use them.

Do you believe that at the 4:08 mark on October 8th the coaching staff said "oh my gosh, a power play, who are we going to send out?". WD then said, "I know, how about a four forward set with the kid I coached in Jr playing the slot. I know he's a light weight but he's a good kid, a real nice boy." Is that what you think Clambake?

Linden Vey scored three power play goals in October, exactly one third of Vancouver's nine power play goals that month. A power play that went a very respectable 9 of 39 or 23% in October. Vey was Vancouver's top power play scorer.
ClamRussel wrote:
Topper wrote:Now we are hearing that rookie goaltenders need to backup their bad efforts with a quick second start.
Its not like its without precedent. The backup needs to play at some point and benching a guy for a dozen games after a shaky start is the opposite of building confidence. The media were wondering aloud at the time if WD might throw Markstrom back in there the next game to rebound. What W did is akin to benching & scratching a rookie skater because of mistakes. Everyone is prone to bad games, the Canucks are rebuilding/retooling and there will be a transitionary period.
Eggs are coddled.

..........but the Vancouver media was saying there was a problem with the way Canuck goalies were being utilized. Oh my fucking god, there must be a problem and must be serious. I mean, the Vancouver media says there is a goaltending issue, that is news. It must be serious!

Sure, kid stinks, costs his team two points in the standings, lets toss him back in there, we don't want to hurt his feelings. Its only two points in the standings. Hell, why not make it a four pointer against a division rival. Its a long season we got games to play with.

Imbecile.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Ooooo, such big words, unfortunate you have no idea what they mean or how to use them.

Do you believe that at the 4:08 mark on October 8th the coaching staff said "oh my gosh, a power play, who are we going to send out?". WD then said, "I know, how about a four forward set with the kid I coached in Jr playing the slot. I know he's a light weight but he's a good kid, a real nice boy." Is that what you think Clambake?

Linden Vey scored three power play goals in October, exactly one third of Vancouver's nine power play goals that month. A power play that went a very respectable 9 of 39 or 23% in October. Vey was Vancouver's top power play scorer.
Vey was gifted that spot the moment the trade was made. What he did after the fact hardly negates your hypocritical viewpoint.
Topper wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Eggs are coddled.

..........but the Vancouver media was saying there was a problem with the way Canuck goalies were being utilized. Oh my fucking god, there must be a problem and must be serious. I mean, the Vancouver media says there is a goaltending issue, that is news. It must be serious!

Sure, kid stinks, costs his team two points in the standings, lets toss him back in there, we don't want to hurt his feelings. Its only two points in the standings. Hell, why not make it a four pointer against a division rival. Its a long season we got games to play with.

Imbecile.
Nothing more is expected of you.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:
Topper wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Vey was gifted that spot the moment the trade was made. What he did after the fact hardly negates your hypocritical viewpoint.
Ahh, the preseason and practice don't exist in your tiny little world.

If you were to slime above the red tide you may have noticed Linden Vey had 3 assist sand two goals (1 EN, 1PP) in five preseason games.
ClamRussel wrote:
Topper wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Eggs are coddled.

Imbecile.
Nothing more is expected of you.
I know. My reputation for being right precedes me.