2014-15 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2014-15 Utica Comets

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Sat Nov 8

AHL

Utica 3 Rochester 2
Markstrom 33 saves on 35 shots (selected 3rd star)

Hamilton, (1) (Gaunce, Tommernes)
Kenins, (3) (Hamilton, Corrado)
Sanguinetti, (2) (O'Reilly, Tommernes) (PP)

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Neither Gaunce (13gp-1g-5a-6pts) nor Shinkaruk (13gp-2g-3a-5pts) are really lighting it up. I daresay one can chalk it up to the same kind of learning curve Jensen had under Coach Green. I'll be more interested to see how they're doing come February/March.

Any reports on how they're doing, aside from the fluff coming from the organization?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

I'm not too worried about Shinkaruk and Gaunce. I think it's a big step for them as well as the other young guys that just entered into pro sports. Fox and Valk also may become legit NHLers. Also, there's a reason Utica is on fire these days. It's a positive and when was the last time we could say that about the Canucks farm system?!

It'll be years before these guys become significant contributors for the Canucks (if ever). Someone like Virtanen may not ever lineup with the Sedins - ya never know. There's no certainty and we know it takes a while for players to acclimate to the NHL. If you look at most stars, they didn't start off lighting up the league in year 1.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

They had someone on 1040 last week who covers the Utica Comets, says that Gaunce is looking very good. He's on the 4tb line but apparently his line a lot of times is the best line of the night. He makes the most of his minutes. Shink apparently is struggling with stone hands syndrome as he seems to get glorious amounts of chances but can't convert.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I remember tracking Kesler's first stint as a pro in the A. Think he had a couple goals and a few points in 30 something games and I thought hey as long as he becomes a solid 3rd/4th line shutdown type NHLer it's better than a bust. He got called up same year and stuck but showed nothing to indicate he'd be much more, but I was just happy he was in the League at all at 19..something we never ever see here. Then the lockout year that followed he lights up the A and needed a few more 'development' years up here before becoming the Kes we and the rest of the League knows.

Of course we're talking very different players but point is it's very difficult to gauge kids that age who just made a jump to the next level. It's usually a long process for kids not picked in the top 5, I'm sure it's going to take a while for ours.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:I remember tracking Kesler's first stint as a pro in the A. Think he had a couple goals and a few points in 30 something games and I thought hey as long as he becomes a solid 3rd/4th line shutdown type NHLer it's better than a bust. He got called up same year and stuck but showed nothing to indicate he'd be much more, but I was just happy he was in the League at all at 19..something we never ever see here. Then the lockout year that followed he lights up the A and needed a few more 'development' years up here before becoming the Kes we and the rest of the League knows.

Of course we're talking very different players but point is it's very difficult to gauge kids that age who just made a jump to the next level. It's usually a long process for kids not picked in the top 5, I'm sure it's going to take a while for ours.
Check the stats on almost any player. The numbers aren't always indicative of what they'll become. You just never know. A player's success largely depends on what's between his ears. That is something which is impossible to gauge.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Utica won the second of a back to back with Chi town after getting shut out 3-0 in the windy city. Shinkaruk got two goals and was named first star. Markstrom was the goalie and won 4-3.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Pair of tallies for Jensen, including the winner, in a 3-2 win over the Bulldogs. Eriksson w/ the win.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Lost 7-4 with en at the finish. Markstrom on ice for 6. Shink with one helper and Defazio with two goals and still ended up -1.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The Comets won 5-4 last night with Archibald picking up 2 goals and Grenier getting into a fight. Ericcson goal with Cannata backing up.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

The Comets won again. They lead the AHL in points and spread the wealth. Gaunce scored again and Defazio had the hat. Ericsson in goal and he let in three but Comets doubled that. Both Shink and Jensen quiet. Corrado loaded up at the point and put 5 on net.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote:The Comets won again. They lead the AHL in points and spread the wealth. Gaunce scored again and Defazio had the hat. Ericsson in goal and he let in three but Comets doubled that. Both Shink and Jensen quiet. Corrado loaded up at the point and put 5 on net.
Shink and Corrado scored uticas 2 goals in previous game. Corrado assisted on Shinks too

It seems that the kids are coming along decently. Hearing good things about Gaunces game. Corrado seems to be very close. Jensen seems to be degressing. Shink needs a year or two in the minors
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
damonberryman wrote:The Comets won again. They lead the AHL in points and spread the wealth. Gaunce scored again and Defazio had the hat. Ericsson in goal and he let in three but Comets doubled that. Both Shink and Jensen quiet. Corrado loaded up at the point and put 5 on net.
Shink and Corrado scored uticas 2 goals in previous game. Corrado assisted on Shinks too

It seems that the kids are coming along decently. Hearing good things about Gaunces game. Corrado seems to be very close. Jensen seems to be degressing. Shink needs a year or two in the minors
One of the positives of having a good/rich NHL club, is that we can afford to stock the minor league club with established professional players, and not rely on the kids to learn how to be a pro and an adult on the fly. Guys like Cal O'Reilly ($325K), Dustin Jeffrey ($225K), Brandon DeFazio ($85K), Sanguinetti ($250K) are guys the Canucks signed, and are paying, to provide some veteran leadership for the club, and also give the kids a chance to grow without undue expectations of carrying a professional franchise. Looking at a shitty AHL team like Worchester (Sharks affiliate), and only 2 of their top-5 scorers have NHL deals and are both just 23 years old.

I also like that Benning is spreading the call-ups around. Even if these guys don't get into a game, the time up with the big-club is a serious salary boost. The four days Brandon DeFazio spent with the Canucks would be worth around $13,000, not a bad bump when his total annual salary in the minors is $85K. Good way to keep morale high and players motivated on the farm.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Read somewhere, can't find it, that Henrik Tommernes has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a buy out. Trying to get confirmation. Wondering if the Canucks need to clear a contract.
The only HW the Canucks need
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

The Sun mentioned his buyout, so he can return to Europe to play. At the bottom

I want to go home!