2014-15 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014-15 Utica Comets

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:I'm sure management has a good explanation. I know Benning has been beating the "character" drum for some time now, and perhaps McNally doesn't fall under that category. Also as mentioned, Hutton and Subban both have better potential, (with less baggage).

I don't see why some are up in arms In losing an aging former 4th round pick with a checkered past. If he didn't wow management with his offensive ability, why waste a contract?
Asset management. Why let him go for nothing? Why not sign him, and then trade him?
Pffft.

What asset?

What return in a trade?

Honestly, think about it.

Well, a guy like fellow 4th round pick Mike Reilly has 1/3 of the league interested in signing him after he failed to come to terms with Columbus. He scored 6 goals this season in 39 games (42 points). McNally also scored 6 goals, in 21 games (21 points) before his knee injury ended his season.

So yeah, I do think we had an asset that has been wasted.

It just doesn't wash that you'd sign a knuckle dragger like Stewart, and then walk away from a talented defencemen like McNally. Especially when Benning has been trading picks left and right for guys in that age range. I get that he likes guys like Subban and Hutton, but since when do the Canucks have more than enough "D" prospects?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:before his knee injury ended his season
and a cheating scandal ended the season before that

Is the leg bone connected to the head bone?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:before his knee injury ended his season
and a cheating scandal ended the season before that
I didn't realize he was vying for the advanced stats analyst position.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and you complain Gassian is dumb

Oooooh he's at Harvard

on a jock scholarship

caught cheating to make the grade

blew out a knee

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

I like Kassian.

I'm just not overly concerned that a guy getting caught cheating (along with half his class) on a take-home exam really has much to do with his ability as a hockey player, and I think this team could use all the prospects we can get our hands on at this stage. Saying we have "no room" for McNally reeks of bullshit.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

What's your scouting report on McNally, Island Nuck? How many games have you seen him play and what leads you to believe Benning should have signed him, rather Han let him walk?

Admittedly, I've never seen him play, but in curious to hear your perspective of said player that got away.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

BladesofSteel wrote:What's your scouting report on McNally, Island Nuck? How many games have you seen him play and what leads you to believe Benning should have signed him, rather Han let him walk?

Admittedly, I've never seen him play, but in curious to hear your perspective of said player that got away.
I honestly don't know fuck all about him, other than poking around on the web. I know college point/game d-men aren't that common. I know if he was a free agent there would likely be a few teams kicking the tires. I know we're fairly hurting for potential PP QB-type d-men. Who knows if he'll ever reach that potential, but cutting him loose before he's ever played a pro-game seems silly.

For all Benning's talk about needing to rebuild the organization depth of the "early-20's" crowd, here's a 23-year old 6'3, 205 D-man that could be added for the cost of a contract. I also understand the franchise has high hopes for guys like Subban, but wouldn't we be better off hoarding as many prospects as possible? Even if his ceiling is a Matt Irwin-type, wouldn't we be wise to find out?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Reilly comparison is a farce.

Reilly was a league and team leader at a Big 10 school. McNally was a team leader of a weak D at a mediocre Ivy League school.........before he blew out his knee.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

And yet Harvard was ranked higher.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1

Anyways, moot point now, hopefully Benning is right about this one, and our defensive prospect pool is overflowing with future NHL talent like Luca Sbisa.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Probably won't be even a minor talking point a year from now, but I agree it seems odd to let McNally walk while signing Mackenzie Stewart. McNally was clearly a good hockey player in college. I don't think Stewart has been a good hockey player since he was 14.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and keep crying about that contract until dehydration kills you IN